Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta forces ExpertFlyer to remove Elite Upgrade availability

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta forces ExpertFlyer to remove Elite Upgrade availability

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2013, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Suppose you want to know how many M class seats DL is still willing to sell, perhaps because you have an M class ticket and want to SDC onto the flight. On delta.dumb, go to advanced search by fare class. I would probably first ask for 9 seats and see what is the lowest fare class for 9. Assuming that the answer is B, Y, or not available, now try M or higher for maybe four seats. If yes, go for six seats at M or higher, etc. If no, try for two seats at M or higher. Keep going until you see the maximum number of M seats DL is willing to sell for the flight.

However, this assumes that married segment logic isn't a factor. It also assumes that there is a fare in the associated fare class where the advanced purchase requirement can still be met, so it probably won't work to show SDC choices from lower fare classes close to the day of travel. You get some information this way, but it's not a substitute for the EF fare availability data. It can also be very painful and time consuming to keep doing these searches in this way. However, it's better than nothing if you need the information and cannnot get it from a subscription service.
Or you could just go to http://www.flightstats.com/go/Flight...vailability.do and check the fare class availability for free. It also deals with married segment logic.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by steveholt
Quick semi-related question: I'm trying to see class availability on a random flight, DL1601, that I'm booked on for Friday from BOS-ATL. The flight doesn't even come up in a EF search on 10/25 (although it does on the previous and following day). It also doesn't come up on delta.com, even though the flight does exist. Any idea why this is happening?
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's probably overbooked to the point of DL not being willing to sell any more seats on the flight. In other words, every fare class is zeroed out.
If the flight exists, it should come up in an EF Flight Availability search even if it is zeroed out.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by DaDaDan
Here's my guess:

1. EF was previously taking the information out of the GDS and displaying it to us, with the explicit or tacit approval of Delta.

2. Delta changed their mind and told EF to stop displaying it. Therefore, any display was "unauthorized."

My guess is the same as stylo4444's: Delta realized it had information that was valuable to EF that it was currently giving away for free. So, they told EF they had to pay money or stop showing the inventory. EF asked how much, and Delta gave them a number they found to be too high. So, they said, "Thanks, but no thanks."
I still struggle to understand why EF would listen. Presumably their relationship is with their GDS, and not any of the airlines directly. So DL pulling the inventory is one thing, but DL "requesting" that EF "remove access" is another.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 9:04 am

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by javabytes
I still struggle to understand why EF would listen. Presumably their relationship is with their GDS, and not any of the airlines directly. So DL pulling the inventory is one thing, but DL "requesting" that EF "remove access" is another.
My presumption is that because the data is not in the public domain that DL had adequate legal grounds to request the EF stop selling that information. As such, EF was faced with a decision to pony up (presuming DL first asked for more money to publish the information) or stop displaying it. EF decided that it was a smaller blow to them corporately to stop displaying it and tick off the DL flyers while maintaining their other airline subscriber base than to risk a long, expensive legal fight that could have bankrupted the company.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 11:03 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by jsmith50
My presumption is that because the data is not in the public domain that DL had adequate legal grounds to request the EF stop selling that information. As such, EF was faced with a decision to pony up (presuming DL first asked for more money to publish the information) or stop displaying it. EF decided that it was a smaller blow to them corporately to stop displaying it and tick off the DL flyers while maintaining their other airline subscriber base than to risk a long, expensive legal fight that could have bankrupted the company.
I believe you are exactly right.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 11:05 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the flight exists, it should come up in an EF Flight Availability search even if it is zeroed out.
Correct. When I pull up EF availability I see DL1601 with just F1 - everything else is zeroed out. Three other flights are also showing that are totally zeroed out.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 12:47 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by pete4212
The changes in their service are public and documented and you have the right you continue or cancel your subscription as you see fit due to the changes, but that's all.
But, what about people like me, whose annual subscription just renewed recently? Although DL is only a very small part of the info that's attainable on EF, that's all I use it for. Should I be due a teeny tiny refund for this loss?

Personally, I subscribed to EF for normal paid fare class availability, to watch for possible VDB situations, and to book complicated itineraries where you have to use "search by schedule" to piece things together, but, UG availability is a bonus for me!
Old Oct 24, 2013, 12:50 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
It is P**sing off a lot of their high end customers and I don't know how it is hurting Delta by having the RU inventory displayed on EF.
(bolding above: mine)

Seriously? I'm certainly not taking DL's side on this whole thing, but, first of all, only a small percentage of the flying public even has frequent flyer accounts. (My friend who's a former RedCoat told me that only about 10-20% of boarding passes have FF#s on them)

That said, what percentage of busy business travelers actually have the time to figure out all of this UG stuff, or even know about EF? I'd bet, it's a small fraction of 1%. The ones I talk to in F on planes are usually shocked and clueless as all of the types of things we discuss and do on here!

Last edited by davetravels; Oct 24, 2013 at 1:11 pm
Old Oct 24, 2013, 4:18 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Starting to look like a form letter... Here's the reply I received:

Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for your message via delta.com. We are grateful for you taking the time to share your feedback with us and we regret your frustration regarding the upgrade listings.

We do not have a business relationship with ExpertFlyer and the organization used unauthorized information to provide Complimentary Upgrade availability to their subscribers.

At this time, we do not provide the number of seats available for Complimentary Upgrades. However, you can view whether or not a flight has Complimentary Upgrade availability when booking at delta.com. Just look for “Upgrade Available” when searching for a flight.

We appreciate your feedback and will take it into consideration as we continue to update our technology tools and services.

For additional questions regarding ExpertFlyer’s Complimentary Upgrade service, please contact ExpertFlyer directly.

Thank you for your Elite loyalty and we look forward to serving you on your flights today.

Sincerely,

XXXXX
Diamond Medallion Desk
www.delta.com
Old Oct 24, 2013, 4:26 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Not always. I've noticed what I assume is an EF glitch where zeroed out flights just don't show up. Sometimes just refreshing the page can resolve it, and not all zeroed out flights don't show up.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 4:27 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by iamhereandthere
It's intersting that one of Delta's partners (AS) provide upgrade info. I guess Delta doesn't feel the need to be as good?
It seems AS hides little. Easy fare structure, clear rules, consistent enforcement, "U" class availability displayed on their site as well as EF and others. EF alerts are invaluable for booking MVP/Gold/75 UGs for me (and Guest UGs). Buy low and set an alert for U. AS decides they aren't going to sell F, they release a few U seats, I get an alert and call and "buy up" to an UG-able fare. They win, I win. Seems too simple--everyone's happy. I did this twice on long haul (DCA>SEA) routes this month already. Oh, and did I mention their employees seem happy all the time? I'm off topic. I think DL could learn a lot here. I agree with the "EF encourages me to buy up" posts here.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 4:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SamOF
Not always. I've noticed what I assume is an EF glitch where zeroed out flights just don't show up. Sometimes just refreshing the page can resolve it, and not all zeroed out flights don't show up.
IME I've observed zeroed out flights not appearing when there are enough flights to display with availability to fill the normal list. Sometimes asking for a specific time can cause the zeroed out flight to appear.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 4:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta PLAT, Marriot Plat, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, A couple of other airlines - pee on
Originally Posted by davetravels
But, what about people like me, whose annual subscription just renewed recently? Although DL is only a very small part of the info that's attainable on EF, that's all I use it for. Should I be due a teeny tiny refund for this loss?
I use EF just for that and I only signed up a month ago. I sent a letter to EF requesting a refund as they are no longer providing me with the service I signed up for.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 5:34 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by davetravels

Personally, I subscribed to EF for normal paid fare class availability, to watch for possible VDB situations, and to book complicated itineraries where you have to use "search by schedule" to piece things together, but, UG availability is a bonus for me!
Originally Posted by kaaria
I use EF just for that and I only signed up a month ago. I sent a letter to EF requesting a refund as they are no longer providing me with the service I signed up for.
Sorry guys. Apparently you didn't read the Terms of Service before you purchased. Just a small portion states:

ETS reserves the right at any time and from time to time to modify or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, the Service (or any part thereof) with or without notice.

ETS shall not be liable to you or to any third party for any modification, price change, suspension or discontinuance of the Service

You have absolutely no right to a full or partial refund unfortunately.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 6:47 pm

Programs: DL DM; Hilton Diamond; Marriott LT Titanium; Long live SPG... f MAR
I just got a response from my online comment and the content seems a bit different than what I saw in the above ones, so I figured I'd post it here:

We are truly sorry for your disappointment with the decision to remove
upgrade availability information from the Expert Flyer website.
Unfortunately, we found incorrect information being disseminated, which
led to confusion amongst our passengers. Additionally, information was
being posted without our prior authorization. For these reasons, we made
the decision to have our customers contact us directly with their
inquiries. Nevertheless, please know my explanation is not meant to
undermine your experience in any way. Feedback like you have provided
will help us to improve our overall customer experience. Be assured your
comments will be shared with our Corporate Marketing leadership team for
internal review.
Interesting that they say "incorrect information." I wonder if that's because they published incorrect information. And by wonder, I mean, I wonder how their IT department could have possibly published incorrect information when everything else is always correct. I have been confused several times by the incorrect information on delta.com. Would love it if they stopped publishing information there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.