Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

A319 and A320 fleet to be reconfigured, AVOD for A319s

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2013, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, WF GoFar Rewards, AAdvantage, United MileagePlus

According to a post at A.net (with information from FltOps), Delta will be reconfiguring the A319 and A320 fleets. Capacity will be increased on both types using slimline seats.

Also, the galley on the rear pressure bulkhead will be replaced by lavatories, which will be pushed back from their current location forward of the aft exits to make more room for seats.

In addition, the A319 fleet will be getting AVOD. The reason is because DL wants to make more money by flying them on long and thin routes, which DL currently tries to avoid due to lack of IFE.

As for the A320 fleet, no AVOD is planned, and it remains to be seen if any aircraft with ship numbers 3250 or below will get the seat/lavatory mods, since those are DL's older A320s.

Now, one thing I wonder: will the Y seats be Weber/Zodiac 5751, B/E Aerospace Pinnacle, or something else such as the Recaro BL3520 or Aviointeriors Columbus Three? Also, will the seats have winged headrests?
Old Aug 3, 2013, 3:36 pm
Used to be hamajicky

How old are these birds that are getting retrofitted?
Old Aug 3, 2013, 3:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: Fly paid F and J. AA EXP. DL PM.
Originally Posted by Delta 764
Also, the galley on the rear pressure bulkhead will be replaced by lavatories, which will be pushed back from their current location forward of the aft exits to make more room for seats.
Can someone explain this. Will there still be a galley in the rear of the aircraft? Will there be two lavatories and no galley or one lavatory and a smaller galley? I have seen configurations with one lavatory beyond the aft exits, usually on the left side (as in 1L, 2L).

How old are DL's 319's?
Old Aug 3, 2013, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
11 years on average.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...aft-fleet.html
Old Aug 3, 2013, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FitTraveler
Can someone explain this. Will there still be a galley in the rear of the aircraft? Will there be two lavatories and no galley or one lavatory and a smaller galley? I have seen configurations with one lavatory beyond the aft exits, usually on the left side (as in 1L, 2L).

How old are DL's 319's?
Nope, the aircraft will have an all-forward galley configuration like on the MD-88 and MD-90, and will have two lavatories at the rear pressure bulkhead.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 4:39 pm

Programs: DL GM
How about adding a row of F back in!?
Old Aug 3, 2013, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sectflyer
How about adding a row of F back in!?
Doubt it. In fact, it is quite possible the A319s will be reduced to 8F since that is what AA and UA are going for.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 5:13 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Doubt it. In fact, it is quite possible the A319s will be reduced to 8F since that is what AA and UA are going for.

That would make me reconsider DL primarily versus times/ routes. Since low UPG % means several mid tier status is better than HIGH status on one.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 5:32 pm

Programs: Household of Delta GM & PM, SWA RR CP, Bonvoy Platinum, Hertz #1 Gold, Budget RZ
This will be great! I would like to see some of the A320's that are sticking around get AVOD though. We get some long flights from SLC on the A320.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 8:01 pm

Watch for future seat reductions in a certain favorite narrowbody.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 9:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by Jet Doctor
Quote:

Watch for future seat reductions in a certain favorite narrowbody.
Instead of being cryptic why not just say which one?
Old Aug 3, 2013, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Ugh, so DL is going to make these nasty old dogs even worse? F/Y ratio is already bad on the 320, so lets make it worse and more cramped? Seems the 319 is going the same direction. Dropping to 8F would seem to go against DL's FCM push, and would make the scarebus subfleet the worst for upgrades.

I already hate the 320 and have it on my personal 'no fly' list depending on the route due to the crappy seats, no power or video, and low F/Y ratio for upgrades. Guess I'll have to watch if the 319 needs to get added to that too.

Oh and good point about mid level status on multiple airlines. With the way things are going, it seems that it'll be better to have mid level for the Y+ seats since you won't be getting upgraded as a top tier anyway.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by mbaker0936
This will be great! I would like to see some of the A320's that are sticking around get AVOD though. We get some long flights from SLC on the A320.
Whats to be excited about? The info said the 319s are getting AVOD... 320s are just getting more seats in Y which means less legroom and less upgrade chance.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 9:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by rylan
Whats to be excited about? The info said the 319s are getting AVOD... 320s are just getting more seats in Y which means less legroom and less upgrade chance.
Sounds like bad news, although when I saw the thread title, I was hopeful that the fourth row of FC would return.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 9:45 pm

Hi guys. Yes there is going to be modifications to the Airbus fleet.

The idea of removing the aft galley was studied and rejected. The galley on these planes are needed for weight and balance. There is now a retro fit to the planes that can now allow for the removal of the galleys, by placing weights aft of the pressure bulkhead.

The A320 will retain its galley, though a bit smaller. The A319 is going to retain a "partial" galley. I haven't heard exactly the configuration for the lavs. The A319 will be getting AVOD, the A320 not. Though I thought there was talk of an "enhancement" for the A320.

Also, if the seating capacity rises above 150, an additional FA will be needed. I believe that these planes can now be operated more cost effectively with the mods.

I haven't heard the configuration of FC/Y seats.

Remember, this is the current plan, however, those plans can still be "tweaked".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.