Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

A319 and A320 fleet to be reconfigured, AVOD for A319s

A319 and A320 fleet to be reconfigured, AVOD for A319s

Old Aug 4, 2013, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by NWAFA
The idea of removing the aft galley was studied and rejected. The galley on these planes are needed for weight and balance. There is now a retro fit to the planes that can now allow for the removal of the galleys, by placing weights aft of the pressure bulkhead.
There is a lot of deadweight available at 1030 Delta Blvd, Atlanta, GA that would be fine for this use. Much of it already functions as if it had spent considerable time on the wrong side of the pressure bulkheads.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 3:03 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Prem Exec
Originally Posted by Jet Doctor
"Due to the overwhelming popularity of Economy Comfort......."

Maybe I'm dense, but I'm not sure what you're getting at. Are you suggesting they will reduce the size of the 757 first class cabins (all models? some models) in order to add additional Economy Comfort seating?

What kinds of reductions in FC are we talking? And additions to EC? I like EC as much as the next guy if my upgrade doesn't clear, but there's already a lot of elites sitting in EC, this isn't going to make anyone very happy.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 4:36 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by TheMoose
Maybe I'm dense, but I'm not sure what you're getting at. Are you suggesting they will reduce the size of the 757 first class cabins (all models? some models) in order to add additional Economy Comfort seating?

What kinds of reductions in FC are we talking? And additions to EC? I like EC as much as the next guy if my upgrade doesn't clear, but there's already a lot of elites sitting in EC, this isn't going to make anyone very happy.
And didn't Delta just finish expanding the 752 first class cabins to 28 from 24 seats?
Old Aug 4, 2013, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by TheMoose
Maybe I'm dense, but I'm not sure what you're getting at.
I don't know all the details, but something is in the works.

Here are some original 757 seat maps:

Northwest

Delta
Old Aug 4, 2013, 6:29 pm

I was just told a little bit more about the A320/319 mods.

The A320 will have the partial galley and the A319 will keep a fully functioning galley. Of course the A319 is getting AVOD. I think I got the planes mixed up originally.

But get this, it seems that DL is going to be using the A319 for South America. It makes sense. Those routes serve hot meals and couldn't compete without AVOD.

I don't know if the routes are to South America or within South America. I don't know which routes the A319 can reach from the U.S. or if any of the countries in South America allows for flying like the south flying we have in Asia.

I did talk to a former Virgin America FA. He said that the FC customers complained because of all the carts passing through to go to the back. VX eventually added a galley in the back to cut down on traffic. That's what I was told.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 6:37 pm

But get this, it seems that DL is going to be using the A319 for South America. It makes sense. Those routes serve hot meals and couldn't compete without AVOD.
That would make the 737-700s redundant.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
"Due to the overwhelming popularity of Economy Comfort......."

What about the overwhelming popularity of FCM? Or is it not quite so overwhelming, and that MBA got put out to pasture?
Old Aug 4, 2013, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by MS02113
And didn't Delta just finish expanding the 752 first class cabins to 28 from 24 seats?
Those mods were never started on the 757s. Most F seats is the 75X, at 26. Plenty more still floating around with 22-24.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 10:49 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Originally Posted by javabytes
Those mods were never started on the 757s. Most F seats is the 75X, at 26. Plenty more still floating around with 22-24.
Yep, and that would just make row 1 that much more undesirable. I finally got to see it on a 75X a few weeks back, and I'll take a gander at a 75U on Tuesday. On the 75X, we had a lot of empty seats up in F, and no body even came close to sitting in the first row.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 11:55 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by javabytes
I admit I hadn't been keeping track, as I've rarely had the opportunity to see the inside of a 757 over the past 15 or so months. Since the first-class cabin expansion plans were dropped, here's hoping Delta doesn't pull a complete 180 and start removing seats.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 12:03 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
I was just told a little bit more about the A320/319 mods.

The A320 will have the partial galley and the A319 will keep a fully functioning galley. Of course the A319 is getting AVOD. I think I got the planes mixed up originally.

I don't know if the routes are to South America or within South America. I don't know which routes the A319 can reach from the U.S. or if any of the countries in South America allows for flying like the south flying we have in Asia.

I did talk to a former Virgin America FA. He said that the FC customers complained because of all the carts passing through to go to the back. VX eventually added a galley in the back to cut down on traffic. That's what I was told.
With only 12 F LMAO
Old Aug 5, 2013, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by HongKonger
With only 12 F LMAO
I guess it's a let's wait and see.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 2:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by HongKonger
With only 12 F LMAO
By 12 F, you mean like the planes Avianca runs on MIA-BOG? Or the 737s that DL currently runs ATL-BOG? It would seem that folks are laughing on some South American routes on a daily basis!

As best I can tell, there are only a handful of routes where DL could use the A319 to South America and most of them are routes where the competition largely runs domestic-type equipment. I assume, FWIW, that "South America" would likely encompass some destinations in Central America and Mexico too, but the same competitive dynamic would apply there, as well.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 2:30 am

Programs: DL DM & 1MM
According to Delta, the A319 has an effective range of 2,399 miles. Since ATL is the closest hub to SA, let's assume they will commence the A319 operations from there.

These are the current routes that would work (northern south america):
AUA
BON
CCS
BOG
UIO

All the other routes are too far. Currently, it seems those routes are services by the 737 or the 757 now.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 2:39 am

That would make the 737-700s redundant.
upstairs maybe, but the 700s have higher takeoff weights and CMF56-7B26 engines (ie 26K thrust engines)
the 319s have the CMF56-5A5 engine which is 23,500K. It can't be pushed any higher.

So routes like ATL-UIO(I think is back on the 757 now)/TGU/EYW are better for the 73W than the 319. Thats the point of the sub fleet, the 738 simply couldn't do it and the other rocket jet(757) was just too big.

As for the after galley, I can't see a way for it to be removed and seats added. I wouldn't worry to much about that. (a half galley or something of the like I could see though)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.