Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

NYT: JFK Worldport (Terminal 3) "Doomed"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2013, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Status of JFK T3

Just curious, has any demolition started on T3 yet?
Old Jun 19, 2013, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
I think they will be demolished it very soon. First, they have to be remove the jetbridge, light, windows, desk, kiosks, x-ray machine, carpet, chair and etc. They have a lots thing to do. They have to be done. It will take a while. Give it some time.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by SRQRoadWarrior
Just curious, has any demolition started on T3 yet?
Not yet. Preservationists are still hard at work.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...733765844.html
Old Jun 20, 2013, 8:57 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, WF GoFar Rewards, AAdvantage, United MileagePlus
Originally Posted by N830MH
I think they will be demolished it very soon. First, they have to be remove the jetbridge, light, windows, desk, kiosks, x-ray machine, carpet, chair and etc. They have a lots thing to do. They have to be done. It will take a while. Give it some time.
Don't forget about asbestos abatement as well, which is required by law should any building be renovated or demolished.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 5:26 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL

Ran across this NYT piece this afternoon on the fate of the old Pan Am Worldport a/k/a Terminal 3. Nothing really new here, but it's still an interesting read. http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...-be-demolished

Even though the place was a dump as far back in 1991 (first time I ever set foot in it) it still has a unique place in aviation history.

Per the article, they're already stripping out the lead paint and asbestos in preparation for demolition.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Sad. Such a magnificent building, specially compared to the totally characterless 2 and 4...
Old Jun 20, 2013, 6:18 pm

Programs: DL GM SkyClub; Starwood Gold, Hertz Gold, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
Sad. Such a magnificent building, specially compared to the totally characterless 2 and 4...
Yea, Delta really let it go to sh!t
That place was nice years ago and could have been a beauty but... Delta style: Cheapo and Ghetto, gets you Cerrado!
Yet another kick in the nuts from delta to pan am hahaha touche
Old Jun 20, 2013, 7:20 pm

One of the best features of this terminal was the parking area on the roof. Oh, those innocent times when we didn't worry about car bombs...

Old Jun 20, 2013, 7:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors

DL killed PA and NW... wonder who the target will be when they go for the turkey.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 10:18 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Good God people on this board are so uncharitable.

T2 was an absolute rundown, obsolete dump of a terminal and there is no amount of money that could have made that mess functional. DL millions at JFK and all people can do is complain that T2 is being demolished.

I'll be happy to help them tear it down. Good riddance.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
Good God people on this board are so uncharitable.

T2 was an absolute rundown, obsolete dump of a terminal and there is no amount of money that could have made that mess functional. DL millions at JFK and all people can do is complain that T2 is being demolished.
Unfortunately T2 is here to stay for at least a few more years. I'm sure that if Dante Alighieri were alive today, he would have set the ninth circle of hell near gates 23 and 25. While both terminals are awful, T2 < T3.

But good riddance to T3, indeed!
Old Jun 20, 2013, 11:01 pm

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
I think they could've preserved the "flying saucer" part and destroyed just the awful 1970's addition. It could serve as a great central check-in area, mother of all Sky Clubs and perhaps even a few gates on the back side. They still would've gotten a lot aircraft parking space, although not as much.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Delta 764
Don't forget about asbestos abatement as well, which is required by law should any building be renovated or demolished.
Actually, I think they will be demolished it. They have to be approved by Port Authority. It will take a while.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 2:43 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Platinum
Article in today's NYTimes:
http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20.../?ref=nyregion
Old Jun 21, 2013, 5:28 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Is the rest of T4 that is used by numerous foreign airlines becoming more crowded now that Delta is using the west side of the terminal? Is the DL section kept separate from the non-DL area?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.