Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Air Controllers strike CDG June 11,12,13

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Controllers strike CDG June 11,12,13

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2013, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Iberia Plus, Flying Blue, Delta Skymiles, Priority Club
Exclamation Air Controllers strike CDG June 11,12,13

Flying DL JFK-CDG next week and noticed an announcement for planned air controllers strike on June 11,12, 13th at CDG.

Something to keep an eye on if you are, like me, flying there one of those days. It could be cause for flight schedule mods.

Last edited by asimegusta; Jun 8, 2013 at 10:22 am Reason: sp
Old Jun 10, 2013, 12:00 am

Originally Posted by asimegusta
Flying DL JFK-CDG next week and noticed an announcement for planned air controllers strike on June 11,12, 13th at CDG.

Something to keep an eye on if you are, like me, flying there one of those days. It could be cause for flight schedule mods.
My lady just got an email that flight AA42, ORD-CDG on Wednesday, was cancelled, as are all AA flights into France those three days.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 12:13 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Update: Changed flights. Leaving CDG today to be on the safe side. Going to AMS for a day before going back to ATL.

Last edited by CJKatl; Jun 10, 2013 at 1:39 am
Old Jun 10, 2013, 2:25 am

Paris > Frankfurt is an easy and frequent train ride and FRA has lots of service options for those needing another way out.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 3:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by johnm1019
Paris > Frankfurt is an easy and frequent train ride and FRA has lots of service options for those needing another way out.
Huh? FRA is mostly LH and UA options, with few DL or SkyTeam TATL flights.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 6:16 am

Programs: Former NW PE, now DL DM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
BRU is an easier train ride than FRA, or ride just a little farther to AMS and have lots of SkyTeam choices there.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If one looks at the available options near CDG and omits AMS - assuming everyone and their sister has changed routing from Spoke > CDG > USA to Spoke > AMS > USA - then FRA is the obvious choice as it is the only nearby city with daily service to 3 DL hubs (ATL, DTW, JFK). It is also excellently served with high-speed rail service direct to the airport (many times there is no need to change trains at Frankfurt Hbf).

BRU is a great second (as mentioned) and of course AMS is also good if there is still availability.

HTH
Old Jun 10, 2013, 5:31 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Delta SC
After two 20+ minute waits (my Skype call was dropped the first time), I spoke to DL about my CDG-MSP flight Wednesday morning. At first he simply said it all looks good, but when I mentioned the advisory, he put me on hold to look into it. Apparently I've already been protected, they're aware of the situation and the wording that I found interesting was "if you're uncomfortable to fly that day..." I could change my flight. I just want to get home with as little of a headache as possible; it never crossed my mind that it would be unsafe to fly during the strike, at least not till he said that.

He didn't seem to have any information on the extent of the disruption, and after seeing the AF statement that they're not planning on canceling long-haul flights, I'm going to assume that my flight might not actually be interrupted. So until we see the actual extent of this strike (perhaps by tomorrow) I'm not going to worry about it. What's the worst that could happen?
Old Jun 10, 2013, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Looks like long hauls will have priority. Affects flight Arrivals and Departures CDG. Strike planned starting tomorrow through Friday 5H50am. Worst case, late departure probably.

That decided me to get a one day pass for DL Sky Club at JFK ...but the Pass Print screen doesn't show the Qcode. Without that the pass is useless, so I've been trying to get an agent on the line to help. Waiting for callback. Patience.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

BTW, DL has the advisory on their website and suggests signing up for the flight notifications.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 7:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Often other unions support European strikes. So when air traffic controllers strike, check in, passport control, and security can be extremely slow. Public transportation to and from the airport (or even in general) can be disrupted. Be prepared!
Old Jun 10, 2013, 7:22 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Changed my BOS-CDG-LIS to an AMS connection, change made without penalty several days ago. Would rather be on DL metal anyway. And I would rather deal with AMS than CDG.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Information from airport says to expect SNCF train strike on Thurday June 13
Old Jun 10, 2013, 11:09 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
BTW, OP, thank you for posting this. Had you not posted, I would not have known about this and may have gotten stuck in France for a couple days with my nieces, who are traveling with me. Our routing was CDG-MUC-ATL, so our first flight was not a long haul.

Last edited by CJKatl; Jun 13, 2013 at 5:30 am
Old Jun 11, 2013, 2:12 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
CDG-GVA cancelled for me (LX flight) so took the TGV. The return still shows on time. After all, when you substract 1 hour from my travel time to CDG and 30 minutes from GVA to my final destination (which is near the train station in GVA), the travel time didn't increase that much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.