Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Fight attendant on cell phone while taxiing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2013, 11:33 pm
Original Poster

Tonight going from BIS to MSP on a CRJ-200 the flight attendant was in the front jump seat actively using her cell-phone. Is this a violation? She was attempting to hide it behind a her instructional pamphlet. If we the passengers can't use our electronic devices, why can she. Annoyed the crap out of me.
Old May 30, 2013, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by cxc292
Tonight going from BIS to MSP on a CRJ-200 the flight attendant was in the front jump seat actively using her cell-phone. Is this a violation? She was attempting to hide it behind a her instructional pamphlet. If we the passengers can't use our electronic devices, why can she. Annoyed the crap out of me.
I would report it to Delta through their "Comment/Complaint" link and provide flight number and date info.

In addition to the hypocrisy....if she had been caught by an FAA inspector it would have been a big fine on the airline.

Also, assuming this was during taxiing, she should be alert and paying attention because if there is an emergency every second does count...
Old May 30, 2013, 12:07 am

Not that it changes much, but OP should note that this is a regional carrier (Skywest or Pinnacle, according to schedules), and the FA is likely employed by that carrier, not DL.
Old May 30, 2013, 12:48 am

Programs: DL DM and 1.5 MM, UA GM, HH DM
Originally Posted by Burj
I would report it to Delta through their "Comment/Complaint" link and provide flight number and date info.

In addition to the hypocrisy....if she had been caught by an FAA inspector it would have been a big fine on the airline.

Also, assuming this was during taxiing, she should be alert and paying attention because if there is an emergency every second does count...
Pictures or it didn't happen...
Old May 30, 2013, 1:35 am
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
I wouldn't presume to know every policy and operating procedure for every regional Delta carrier. For all the OP knows, it could have been company business of some sort, perhaps a call ahead to company dispatch regarding a maintenance or crew scheduling issue. Moreover, I don't even know what rule applies to crew electronics versus passenger electronics. For all I know, what was done here, even if a personal call, was permissible under FAA regs and the operating carrier's procedures.

Personally, I have no desire to play FAA inspector. If I see something obvious that needs attention, I will discreetly tell the crew about it and let them handle it. Otherwise, I mind my own business.
Old May 30, 2013, 2:00 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Aww, c'mon!

She was probably just makin' sure her limo was waiting for her at MSP, so she wouldn't be late for her date!

Old May 30, 2013, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by davetravels
Aww, c'mon!

She was probably just makin' sure her limo was waiting for her at MSP, so she wouldn't be late for her date!

I always get a chuckle out of the emoticon usage at the end of your posts
Old May 30, 2013, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
My thought was maybe a personal emergency? While it is against the FAA regs AFAIK (or is it just an airline rule to get pax to turn the items off before takeoff?), they do permit mobile phone use upon landing and during taxi, so I'm not sure doing so while taxing on the way out is going to cause massive issues on the plane.
Old May 30, 2013, 2:25 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by misterbean
I always get a chuckle out of the emoticon usage at the end of your posts
Thanx 4 sayin' so! I never really know how people take me!

. . . . . . & oh yeah . . . . .

I really used to enjoi yer old TV shows!

Old May 30, 2013, 3:14 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Could not care less.
Old May 30, 2013, 3:34 am

Programs: Skymiles, LifeMiles, AA Advantage
wow you people need to find a new hobby ASAP
Old May 30, 2013, 3:47 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by Spiff
Could not care less.
+1 - why the pettiness?

People are quick to post here when airline employees are overly punctilious in their enforcement of the rules; unless the behavior is particularly egregious, cut them some slack.
Old May 30, 2013, 5:53 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Stupid rule to start with. Maybe she had some kind of emergency. NBFD.
Old May 30, 2013, 6:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If OP has done the research about crew use of electronics and truly believes there's a violation, he is free to report it to DOT (FAA). But, why would anybody do that?

I am not a school crossing guard paid to report others for jaywalking. So, I don't.
Old May 30, 2013, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingNat001
wow you people need to find a new hobby ASAP
And you need to get off your high horse. What does a hobby have to do with this? I have plenty of hobbies, most of them can't be done @ 35000 ft.

Last edited by Canarsie; May 30, 2013 at 11:33 pm Reason: Removed personal attack.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.