Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta operated an empty A332 nonstop from SIN to ATL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta operated an empty A332 nonstop from SIN to ATL

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2013, 9:28 am

Haha I missed that I read FAA, and I'm sure that's what he meant.
Old May 29, 2013, 9:46 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott Platinum,Avis First
Originally Posted by misterbean
Haha I missed that I read FAA, and I'm sure that's what he meant.
Actually it was covered in the 767 mod thread - the FDA does actually do inspections on A/C and the moded A/C require them.
Old May 29, 2013, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by planecrazy63
Actually it was covered in the 767 mod thread - the FDA does actually do inspections on A/C and the moded A/C require them.
Oh.... *facepalm*
Old May 29, 2013, 10:42 am

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Where?
Old May 29, 2013, 11:02 am

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Originally Posted by Vuelos
Not sure what the Food and Drug Administration would have jurisdiction over.
Originally Posted by fti
Plus, as Vuelos noted, why the FDA would be involved is interesting.
Where?
Referenced thread.

WSJ article.
Old May 29, 2013, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Where?
http://www.fda.gov/ICECI/Inspections.../ucm074964.htm

"Aircraft - Construction inspections of aircraft are concentrated on the prototype or first production aircraft. Inspect the aircraft as necessary during construction to ensure compliance. The initial inspections include the drinking water system and sewage system. Inspect these after initial installation so the complete system may be evaluated. Make the next inspections as the galleys are being installed so the galleys and installation may receive a final evaluation. Include other areas of sanitary significance of the aircraft in these inspections. Make subsequent inspections of all similar production units only as necessary to ensure continued adherence to good sanitary practices."

I'd think the part I bolded would apply during mods as well since galleys, water/waste systems, etc are disturbed

interesting letter to DL

http://www.fda.gov/ICECI/Enforcement.../ucm251781.htm
Old May 29, 2013, 5:31 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by andymo99
Ah 747 thread. Very interesting.
Old May 29, 2013, 9:05 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
"Rodent excreta pellets" and "mammalian urine".... you gotta love euphemisms!
Old May 29, 2013, 9:43 pm

The FDA inspection occurs the first time a new galley touches-down in the USA. But, the plane can fly a revenue flight full of pax from outside the USA to the USA prior to inspection. When the first 744 interior mod was complete, the ship flew as DL276 to DTW with pax... then inspected upon arrival at DTW.
Old May 30, 2013, 1:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by cptlflyer
The FDA inspection occurs the first time a new galley touches-down in the USA. But, the plane can fly a revenue flight full of pax from outside the USA to the USA prior to inspection. When the first 744 interior mod was complete, the ship flew as DL276 to DTW with pax... then inspected upon arrival at DTW.
That explains why they couldn't do an HNL-ATL or LAX-ATL run for the holiday weekend
Old Jul 7, 2013, 4:57 am

Singapore to Atlanta

Hi all

My name is Joe Gilroy and I was one of the four pilots on the SIN ATL flight you are discussing. Here are the details:

The aircraft 3351 an A330-200 was in Singapore receiving a new interior with lie flat seats, a new IFE system and a new underfloor crew rest facility that replaces two separate facilities. The four of us were sent to Singapore to complete test flights to re certify many important systems mostly associated with smoke detection in the cargo area. These flights took place over two days and took 16 hours to complete.

Once we were done it became a waiting game for the FAA certification paperwork to be completed. The airplane cannot be flown with any payload until this step is complete. It was estimated that the wait would be over two weeks.

The decision was then made to fly the aircraft back to Atlanta under an "Experimental" certificate to wait out the certification. Planning for the flight took a day or two to sort out overflight permits and other issues related to our non-certified status. This also explains why we did not take the shortest route but rather the route that got us into us airspace as rapidly as possible. In the event of a diversion it would be far less complicated to land in the US as opposed to another country.

The flight home was uneventful but very long as you can imagine. We split the flying up into shifts with two of us always in the flight deck and two resting. We had plenty of food and fortunately the new IFE worked perfectly. I think I watched 3 movies while resting!

When we landed we still had almost 3 hours of fuel remaining. The A330 is an amazing aircraft and we think these new interiors will be a real hit with our passengers.

Hope this gave you the information you were looking for and gives you an idea of the behind the scenes work required to keep our fleet in top shape.

If you have questions please feel free to email me at [email protected]

Joe

Last edited by JG330; Jul 8, 2013 at 2:07 pm
Old Jul 7, 2013, 1:21 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
Joe - very informative! Thanks for the information.

I was fortunate enough to get to fly on the new A330-200 plane within a week of its certification, and I think that the lie-flat seats are a huge improvement and the new IFE (at least in BE) is definitely better.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO/1MM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by JG330
Hi all

My name is Joe Gilroy and I was one of the four pilots on the SIN ATL flight you are discussing. Here are the details:

Joe
Thanks so much for the great info Joe! Welcome to FT and we'd all love for you to contribute as often as you can!

Last edited by jjglaze77; Jul 7, 2013 at 7:38 pm Reason: Typing error
Old Jul 7, 2013, 2:07 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by JG330
Hi all

The aircraft 3351 an A320-200 was in Singapore receiving a new interior with lie flat seats, a new IFE system and a new underfloor crew rest facility that replaces two separate facilities. The four of us were sent to Singapore to complete test flights to re certify many important systems mostly associated with smoke detection in the cargo area. These flights took place over two days and took 16 hours to complete.

Once we were done it became a waiting game for the FAA certification paperwork to be completed. The airplane cannot be flown with any payload until this step is complete. It was estimated that the wait would be over two weeks.

The decision was then made to fly the aircraft back to Atlanta under an "Experimental" certificate to wait out the certification. Planning for the flight took a day or two to sort out overflight permits and other issues related to our non-certified status. This also explains why we did not take the shortest route but rather the route that got us into us airspace as rapidly as possible. In the event of a diversion it would be far less complicated to land in the US as opposed to another country.

The flight home was uneventful but very long as you can imagine. We split the flying up into shifts with two of us always in the flight deck and two resting. We had plenty of food and fortunately the new IFE worked perfectly. I think I watched 3 movies while resting!

When we landed we still had almost 3 hours of fuel remaining. The A330 is an amazing aircraft and we think these new interiors will be a real hit with our passengers.

Hope this gave you the information you were looking for and gives you an idea of the behind the scenes work required to keep our fleet in top shape.

If you have questions please feel free to email me at [email protected]

Joe
Joe, Thanks for your contribution. Very interesting!
Old Jul 7, 2013, 3:27 pm

Programs: None that I am proud of anymore
Paul - I mean JOE - "Thanks for the rest of the story" !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.