Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sky Club beverage changes confirmed by DL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sky Club beverage changes confirmed by DL

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2013, 12:39 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Gordon's Gin, from what I recall, is decent... The other Gordon's products aren't likely worth much

No free Skyy, Dewars, etc is not a good change. Miller Lite it is I guess
Old May 14, 2013, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by DLCorpGuy
The new offerings are comparable to house/well brands in other airport lounges.
If you want to be like other airport lounges, then why not try to make the food offerings and other items like other airline lounges instead of cheapening the alcohol and raising dues?

Whenever I fly out of LAX, I always head to the Boardroom instead because the food offerings are a lot better, it's a lot quieter and I never have a problem finding an outlet, decent wifi and a place to sit down.

When is the SC going to start having a pancake machine in the morning at the LAX SC to be like other airline lounges? When are they going to bring back the soup and start offering REAL cheese and salad like the boardroom does? How about having starbuck's iced coffee and a self service soda machine like other airline lounges? And seeing that the Boardroom bartenders aren't allowed to accept tips and if they receive them they go to a charity, why isn't Delta doing the same to be in line with other airline lounges?

If Delta is going to make this change they should have announced it the same time they did with the membership fee increase.

And I wish you would offer to prorate the remaining months on the membership of paid members. Seeing you are eliminating Bailey's and Sky vodka, the only two alcohol's I drink there, I can't find a seat or outlet anymore at the DTW main or b/c clubs due to the "enhancement" of removing the work areas, I feel my membership isn't as valuable as it was a year ago. I can go to the online café at DTW and get free wifi and have no problems finding a seat or outlet and it would be cheaper for me to go there and pay for a couple drinks (which are good quality) than it would for a SC membership.

Last edited by jamesteroh; May 14, 2013 at 1:08 pm
Old May 14, 2013, 12:55 pm

Programs: DL KM/DM/2MM (NH Plat emeritus, CO Plat emeritus, and no place like home)
Update from DL on Club beverage changes

Old May 14, 2013, 1:01 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA & AA Peeon, Hilton/Starwood Gold
Customer feedback my arse. I'm sure lots of people came in clamoring for higher dues and lesser alcohol. And for 'cheese product.'

If only TSA would let me, I'd bring in some rubbing alcohol and we'd be further ahead.
Old May 14, 2013, 1:10 pm

Programs: EVA, SQ, DL, AA, UA...
Cost comparison

FWIW…

Since California requires all alcoholic beverage distributors to post their pricing to ensure that all licensees get the same pricing and the same volume discounts; here are the posted case 1 (no volume discounts) prices of the old and new products. All are similar 1 ltr bar packages and my BIN (Beverage Industry News) book is about 8 months old.

Vodka
Sky $204.25
Gordons $99.25

Gin:
Tanquery $279.00
Gordons $128.25

Rum:
Bacardi $215.00
Myers Plat. $149.00

They can spin this anyway they want; it is a pure cost cutting move.
Old May 14, 2013, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
If you want to be like other airport lounges, then why not try to make the food offerings and other items like other airline lounges instead of cheapening the alcohol and raising dues?

Whenever I fly out of LAX, I always head to the Boardroom instead because the food offerings are a lot better, it's a lot quieter and I never have a problem finding an outlet, decent wifi and a place to sit down.

When is the SC going to start having a pancake machine in the morning at the LAX SC to be like other airline lounges? When are they going to bring back the soup and start offering REAL cheese and salad like the boardroom does? How about having starbuck's iced coffee and a self service soda machine like other airline lounges? And seeing that the Boardroom bartenders aren't allowed to accept tips and if they receive them they go to a charity, why isn't Delta doing the same to be in line with other airline lounges?

If Delta is going to make this change they should have announced it the same time they did with the membership fee increase.

And I wish you would offer to prorate the remaining months on the membership of paid members. Seeing you are eliminating Bailey's and Sky vodka, the only two alcohol's I drink there, I can't find a seat or outlet anymore at the DTW main or b/c clubs due to the "enhancement" of removing the work areas, I feel my membership isn't as valuable as it was a year ago. I can go to the online café at DTW and get free wifi and have no problems finding a seat or outlet and it would be cheaper for me to go there and pay for a couple drinks (which are good quality) than it would for a SC membership.
Agreed.

I am a beer drinker but no way in hell am I drinking those choices and no way am I paying. I can do that at a bar, minus the membership due. This is not a welcome change. Period.

I'll no longer be living in ATL in about two months. ^ Hellloooooo other airlines. Time to see what my options are.
Old May 14, 2013, 1:14 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, Natl Exec Elite, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diam
Originally Posted by PacificTwo
So am I to assume that Sweetwater is now $weetwater?

My job is abroad, and I often connect through ATL for US destinations. One thing I know for sure is I'm back in 'Murica when I can have a Sweetwater 420.

If I can't have a 420, or it will cost me the same as somewhere else in ATL, screw the SC. I'll find faster WiFi and some sushi... along with 420 at OFS.

DL continues to promote alcohol as a key differentiator in classes of service-- martini glass as the "Entice you to SkyClub?" upsell at checkout, "Complimentary alcoholic beverages" for FC/BE... I mean, this is a 'cash cow' of sorts for DL getting people to pay extreme premiums compared to the cost of goods sold. I think the airlines (AF, KL, DL, and well, everyone else) are trying to turn me into an alcoholic. I will say, I'm trying right along with them!

You've made booze part of your brand. Do other carriers have Mojtos, Margaritas, It's Five O'Clock Somewhere and SkyBreeze? I actually wouldn't know, because I don't fly anyone else. And it's not like reduction in booze or beer is going to get me to change carriers, but it will mean that if I'm going to spend $$$ in an airport, it's not going to be in a SkyClub. What's the purpose of the place anymore?
Old May 14, 2013, 1:20 pm

Delta Sky Clubs are changing the selection of both complimentary and for-purchase premium alcoholic beverages beginning tomorrow. Complimentary well-known alcohol brands will still be provided at the Club just as they have been.

Altering our complimentary offerings will enable us to expand our portfolio of premium for-purchase products and maintain complimentary spirits, beer and wine as we continue to invest in the overall Club experience. We review our Club offerings periodically so that we are able to make changes based on customer feedback, financial considerations and other factors including the variety of options we offer our members.

• Complimentary spirits: Vodka - Gordon's; Gin – Gordon’s; Rum - Myers's Platinum; Scotch – Scoresby; Bourbon - Jack Daniel's; Sweet Vermouth - Martini & Rossi; Extra Dry Vermouth - Martini & Rossi.
  • Complimentary beer: Budweiser and Miller Lite
  • Complimentary wine: no changes to current wine offerings
So there will no longer be a complimentary bourbon in the SkyClubs? Jack Daniels is not bourbon. It is Tennessee Whiskey. The "Southern airline" won't even have complimentary bourbon. Shameful and insulting.
Old May 14, 2013, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Delta Sky Clubs are changing the selection of both complimentary and for-purchase premium alcoholic beverages beginning tomorrow. Complimentary well-known alcohol brands will still be provided at the Club just as they have been.

Altering our complimentary offerings will enable us to expand our portfolio of premium for-purchase products and maintain complimentary spirits, beer and wine as we continue to invest in the overall Club experience. We review our Club offerings periodically so that we are able to make changes based on customer feedback, financial considerations and other factors including the variety of options we offer our members.

• Complimentary spirits: Vodka - Gordon's; Gin – Gordon’s; Rum - Myers's Platinum; Scotch – Scoresby; Bourbon - Jack Daniel's; Sweet Vermouth - Martini & Rossi; Extra Dry Vermouth - Martini & Rossi.
Other brands will be available through our for-purchase options available through our Luxury Bar. Our goal is to offer members quality products and services at reasonable prices that are competitive with other airport lounges while continuing to provide good value for membership.
And the fleecing continues.

Thanks for stopping by 3 weeks and 300 posts later to officially break the news though.
Old May 14, 2013, 1:51 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; OW Emerald; MVP Gold 100k;Marriott/SPG LTPlat; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CGNC
If only TSA would let me, I'd bring in some rubbing alcohol and we'd be further ahead.
But you can bring in mini's in a quart size, clear, plastic baggie! Hendrick's, Tanquary, etc. all sell mini's at Bev Mo. Hendrick's is my gin of choice when I so chose, just brought a mini with me last trip.
Old May 14, 2013, 1:53 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Other brands will be available through our for-purchase options available through our Luxury Bar. Our goal is to offer members quality products and services at reasonable prices that are competitive with other airport lounges while continuing to provide good value for membership.
DLCorpGuy, can you please confirm if this means beers other than Budweiser and Miller Lite (such as the choices in Seattle and Salt Lake City) will now require payment? If so, can you tell us what the price will be per serving? And will this extend to the international club in Tokyo/Narita?

Many, many of us don't enjoy the two listed macro brews at all; experiencing the local variation in club beer selections was one of the pleasures of a Sky Club membership, and I'm confident that at least one colleague will choose not to renew his club membership if local beer selections are dropped.
Old May 14, 2013, 1:53 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, Natl Exec Elite, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diam
Originally Posted by javabytes
Thanks for stopping by 3 weeks and 300 posts later to officially break the news though.
I am somewhat hopeful that linking my Facebook account to DL (because they have my picture when I login, yay!) and my Twitter account to DL will help me get some service when I need it. Honestly, they can have that data. I love @DeltaAssist, so now that they know who I am, we can get down to business.

Let's have them link our FT.com accounts to our profiles too... I'd like DL to finally have the opportunity to size this community up and find out just how valuable they think it is.

There's one way to do outreach, which is to be proactive, provide insider information and keep your loyal customers informed so they can roll with the punches and go with the flow.

When I travel, I am sure it's like everyone else out here-- I have a routine. My airport car parking is pre-booked, the mechanical arm raises automatically when I enter the garage sending me the "Welcome back, sir!" signal. I have my BP printed, I walk into the FastTrack lane, plastic card and BP in hand (Ireland likes the plastic), and breeze right through security. My PL Amex grants me access to the clubs in Dublin, I hop on the WiFi, download my e-mail for the long haul, wait for my pre-boarding announcement and fly away. Upon destination, I walk straight to whatever car I want on National's lot, including a .....in' Camaro, turbo Saab, Charger ST and whatever else they have cool for me. I arrive at my hotel, check in quickly, thanks for the upgrade SPG/Hyatt/Priority Club, you rock.

My system works. Every time. If my system doesn't work, the system has failed me... I was loyal to the system.

So, guys-- figure it out, size us up... be proactive and keep our system in harmony, or don't. But if you screw with my system, I'm going to fix it. Because YOU and my loyalty to YOU are not my priority. My system is my priority.

And the "YOU" here isn't Delta, it's everyone I do business with. I don't need to be harried and sweaty trying to figure out a new system. I will just find one that fits my needs. So, you have to understand your place in my system, it's an ecosystem really... You all work together in harmony whether you know it or not. I'm a player in the game too. I use the system to my advantage when I can SDC, or choose connections because I know they have lie-flats and others don't. I use it to my advantage all the damned time. And I do a lot of research to make sure it never fails me. If it does, I'm fired.

Figure us out Delta. We're machines too.
Old May 14, 2013, 2:05 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Delta Sky Clubs are changing the selection of both complimentary and for-purchase premium alcoholic beverages beginning tomorrow.
Time to update Delta.com. The Sky Club page still boasts, "of course, you will continue to be able to enjoy the same selection of complimentary beer, wine and spirits that you do today - free of charge."
Old May 14, 2013, 2:08 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Platinum+Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Delta Plat, United Silver, AX Biz Cent
Talking to bartender friends, I was advised that while most of the choices are crap, Myers' Platinum is actually decent rum.

Time to think of what Rum drinks you like
Old May 14, 2013, 2:11 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
I don't understand why everyone is complaining. Clearly this move is intended to reduce overcrowding in the clubs.

PS: Budweiser and Miller Lite... bwahahahahahahahaha

Last edited by bennos; May 14, 2013 at 2:17 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.