Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chaos in ATL next week?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2013, 9:18 am

Programs: DL DM; *A-Gold
Originally Posted by mtkeller
EU compensation rules only affect non-Eu carriers when departing from the EU.
Thanks for this clarification, good to know
Old Apr 21, 2013, 10:25 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Gulf Air Falconflyer Gold
Originally Posted by some dude
According to the FAA flight delay map:
http://www.fly.faa.gov/flyfaa/usmap.jsp

There are currently no delays. Not sure where sunday morning falls in terms of peak/off-peak hours, but at this point anyway, it doesn't seem to be a major crisis.
Sunday morning is not a traditionally busy period. Things pick up a little in the afternoon, but the real fun will begin tomorrow.. Mondays can be a little interesting...

Eric
Old Apr 21, 2013, 11:25 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by turkeyRIOO
an area I am familiar with- Military pay charts Aviation Specialties

ATC Enlisted E-5 ~$20/hr with pay
Pilot O-3 over 6 years with flight and Housing Pay ~$44/hr
I disagree with your numbers. My cousin is an E-6 ATC with the USAF with dependents. I went with the 10+ year pay rates since that's where's he's at. From the military pay tables:

Base Pay: 3298/mo
BAS (food): 352/mo
BAH (housing): 1737 (I used Atlanta's zip code)
Total: 5387

$5387/160 hrs/mo =$33/hr. Not to confuse things further, but BAS and BAH are also not taxed and therefore compensation is actually higher than this.

In my prior life I was a physician in the military. I was paid at about 60% of what "real world" rates are. For a time I was also a DOD contractor and I made >2x what the military paid me as an O4 physician. Among the reasons military folks are underpaid relative to their real world counterparts is that they generally provide you an education for the job you're doing and secondly it's community/country service. You aren't in the military for money... you're in it to do good for your country.

Last edited by emma dog; Apr 21, 2013 at 11:33 am Reason: spelling and include taxation issue.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 1:22 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by emma dog
I disagree with your numbers. My cousin is an E-6 ATC with the USAF with dependents. I went with the 10+ year pay rates since that's where's he's at. From the military pay tables:

Base Pay: 3298/mo
BAS (food): 352/mo
BAH (housing): 1737 (I used Atlanta's zip code)
Total: 5387

$5387/160 hrs/mo =$33/hr. Not to confuse things further, but BAS and BAH are also not taxed and therefore compensation is actually higher than this.

In my prior life I was a physician in the military. I was paid at about 60% of what "real world" rates are. For a time I was also a DOD contractor and I made >2x what the military paid me as an O4 physician. Among the reasons military folks are underpaid relative to their real world counterparts is that they generally provide you an education for the job you're doing and secondly it's community/country service. You aren't in the military for money... you're in it to do good for your country.
Oh our "prior" life in the service, mine being USAF I am quite familiar with controls and flight surgeons, having said that I think that there are add pay for controllers depending on their status as I had flight pay, combat pay and sometimes {pro) pay.

I agree with your example of pay variables and of course one would more than qualify for higher pay upon leaving the service.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 2:50 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
There are now some traffic management programs in place due to volume in place in the NYC area. Most are in the 15-30 minute range.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 5:11 pm

Programs: DL-Pyrite Medallion
Originally Posted by TTT
There are now some traffic management programs in place due to volume in place in the NYC area. Most are in the 15-30 minute range.

-Due to OTHER / STAFFING, departure traffic destined to La Guardia Airport, New York, NY (LGA) is currently experiencing delays averaging 1 hour and 14 minutes.

-Due to OTHER / STAFFING, departure traffic destined to John F Kennedy International Airport, New York, NY (JFK) will not be allowed to depart until at or after 7:45 pm EDT
JFK currently on Ground Stop for traffic departing from most of the eastern US. LGA has been alternating Ground Stops with GDPs since about 3:30. That's the first time I can remember ever seeing "STAFFING" as the reason for the delay.

Weather couldn't be any better than it is today, calm winds and CAVU:

KLGA 212251Z 17008KT 10SM BKN250 10/M04 A3056 RMK AO2 SLP348 T01001044
KLGA 212151Z 00000KT 10SM BKN250 11/M09 A3055 RMK AO2 SLP344 T01111094
KLGA 212051Z 00000KT 10SM FEW060 SCT250 11/M09 A3054 RMK AO2 SLP342 T01111089 55007
Old Apr 21, 2013, 6:05 pm

There's a good piece on these ridiculous scare tactics elsewhere:

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...grandstanding/

Some highlights:

"The FAA budget goes up year-over-year (in nominal terms) even under the sequester, and air traffic control is handling 27% fewer departures than prior to 9/11 with a budget that’s 41% higher (again, nominal $). And that’s aside from actually probably being able to make some cuts without noticeable service effects, even before having to put off capital investment in future air-traffic-control improvements."

Last edited by phenobarbital; Apr 21, 2013 at 6:28 pm
Old Apr 21, 2013, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by Down3Green
JFK currently on Ground Stop for traffic departing from most of the eastern US. LGA has been alternating Ground Stops with GDPs since about 3:30. That's the first time I can remember ever seeing "STAFFING" as the reason for the delay.

Weather couldn't be any better than it is today, calm winds and CAVU:
They both have now been changed to OTHER/OTHER.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 6:39 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA Platinum (Life), Emirates Gold,GHA Black
CNN/USA Today? It's the modern era of air travel. A lot of other things could happen.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 6:56 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
If Sunday night good weather traffic is causing hour long delays I wonder what Monday will bring.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by 122554
CNN/USA Today? It's the modern era of air travel. A lot of other things could happen.
LOL that's the best quip I had read in a long time !

Thanks a little levity works well.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by phenobarbital
There's a good piece on these ridiculous scare tactics elsewhere:

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...grandstanding/

Some highlights:

"The FAA budget goes up year-over-year (in nominal terms) even under the sequester, and air traffic control is handling 27% fewer departures than prior to 9/11 with a budget that’s 41% higher (again, nominal $). And that’s aside from actually probably being able to make some cuts without noticeable service effects, even before having to put off capital investment in future air-traffic-control improvements."

New York sees delays due to ATC cuts, but are they fake? by Kyle Dunst • April 21, 2013 • Airports • 0 Comments
Yesterday I posted that due to the furloughs of FAA Air Traffic Controllers taking effect this weekend, the airspace system would begin to be crippled, especially surrounding the nation’s busiest hubs. Well, tonight the New York City area airports of JFK, LaGuardia, and Newark are seeing considerable delays. However, it is looking like these delays are being manufactured to make a point to politicians, and that they aren’t all really necessary. If true, this is completely unacceptable.

The photo below shows all flights in the New York area inbound to JFK-International as of 8:40 PM. The airport is currently experiencing the most significant delays of up to an hour and a half. Most transatlantic flights coming in from the East are being forced to conduct several holding patterns, allowing time to sequence them into the airport. The part that doesn’t make sense is that the amount of flights inbound to the airport is about 10 times less than usual and these holding patterns are not necessary at all. Reports are buzzing all over aviation social media outlets that these delays may be being manufactured by the FAA to make a point to politicians, hoping to make them change their decision to furlough employees. If this is true, then it is ridiculous and unfair to both passengers and the airlines. These holding patterns will cost the airlines thousand of dollars in fuel and will undoubtedly cause several passengers to miss connecting flights.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by edgewood49
New York sees delays due to ATC cuts, but are they fake? by Kyle Dunst • April 21, 2013 • Airports • 0 Comments
Yesterday I posted that due to the furloughs of FAA Air Traffic Controllers taking effect this weekend, the airspace system would begin to be crippled, especially surrounding the nation’s busiest hubs. Well, tonight the New York City area airports of JFK, LaGuardia, and Newark are seeing considerable delays. However, it is looking like these delays are being manufactured to make a point to politicians, and that they aren’t all really necessary. If true, this is completely unacceptable.

The photo below shows all flights in the New York area inbound to JFK-International as of 8:40 PM. The airport is currently experiencing the most significant delays of up to an hour and a half. Most transatlantic flights coming in from the East are being forced to conduct several holding patterns, allowing time to sequence them into the airport. The part that doesn’t make sense is that the amount of flights inbound to the airport is about 10 times less than usual and these holding patterns are not necessary at all. Reports are buzzing all over aviation social media outlets that these delays may be being manufactured by the FAA to make a point to politicians, hoping to make them change their decision to furlough employees. If this is true, then it is ridiculous and unfair to both passengers and the airlines. These holding patterns will cost the airlines thousand of dollars in fuel and will undoubtedly cause several passengers to miss connecting flights.
Any actual evidence or facts, or just some guy's opinions?
Old Apr 21, 2013, 8:46 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, UA 1K, AA Exec. Plat., DL DM, National E.E.
6 hour delays into LAX right now for most U.S. departures. Tomorrow is not going to be a good day in 'Murica!
Old Apr 22, 2013, 3:05 am

Programs: Delta PM, IHG Spire
Great, just what I need heading back from Europe this week on a flight that gets into Atlanta after 8pm.

Of course it is political BS, how could they possibly be expected to do the full job in 2013 with a cut back in the budget to slightly above 2011 levels!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.