Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

trying to get to Rome but sooo frustrating

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2013, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Wife and I decided on a whim to head to Rome from Buffalo NY for 10 to 14 days at the end of this April. For about a week I have been trying to get Delta to give me something similar to the 25,000 mile promo business awards that Flying Blue members are enjoying..or a tleast the 25,000 mile classic economy wards tickets available on delta jets to flying blue ( I am a member just no Flynig Blue miles)
I fully own the fact that I am not helping myself with the short window..so I come to you hat in hand..can anyone work a little magic and show me someting I cannot find ..I only have 120,000 miles...I have an award ticket held right now that will use up all 120,000 to fly economy..with a 17 hour layover in ATL.
We have a wide open schedule can leave anytime and want to stay 12-15 days.

thanks for your time and consideration!
Ken
Old Apr 9, 2013, 2:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Sometimes low award space opens up close to the travel dates.

If the problem is finding low availability between BUF and JFK/ATL, consider either purchasing a separate domestic ticket or look for space using nearby upstate NY airports such as SYR, ITH, ELM, ROC, etc.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 2:27 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
If you use it to fly business you might be suprised to find it could cost less
Old Apr 9, 2013, 3:41 pm

Programs: MR LT Platinum, HH Diamond, WN A-List,
If you can fly out of Toronto I am seeing lots of open skyteam Business tickets for 100K miles.

A KLM flight departing through AMS 4/16 and a Alitalia direct back to YYZ on 4/29
Old Apr 9, 2013, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
All roads lead to Rome.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 4:09 pm

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
You do realize that, even if you find low availability for all flights, it's going to cost you 60,000 each for coach, right?

Try breaking it up into a multi-city trip instead of round trip. Do BUF-JFK-FCO-JFK-BUF and pick pairs that way. It might show you low ranges in all segments.

I tried all of January and part of February to find availability SLC to FCO the first week of May. It was the return that was killing me. I found a connection FCO-CDG-SLC with a 23 hour layover in CDG that got me the low business rate in that direction. I couldn't get any low availability going SLC to FCO.

Definitely look at going out via Canada. Or look at any city in Europe that Delta flies to and check connections. Good luck.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 5:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Also try Milan or possibly even Munich. Both seem to have more availability and are easy, fun train rides to Rome.... You could break it up by seeing Venice and Florence as well on the way depending on where you land.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA Plat Exec
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
All roads lead to Rome.
Not if you depart from the USA
Old Apr 9, 2013, 5:36 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by sorka
Not if you depart from the USA
OT but there are at least three towns in the USA called Rome. So even in the USA there are roads that lead to Rome.

As for the OP. Search other cities is your best bet, another one to toss is JFK-> NCE.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 5:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
OT but there are at least three towns in the USA called Rome. So even in the USA there are roads that lead to Rome.

As for the OP. Search other cities is your best bet, another one to toss is JFK-> NCE.
That is another good suggestion...
Old Apr 9, 2013, 7:05 pm

What exactly are you wanting? Two economy seats? Two business seats?
Old Apr 9, 2013, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by emrdoc
What exactly are you wanting? Two economy seats? Two business seats?
OP only have 120K in his account. It appears that OP would like to have two economy seats. Here is one of the options:
BUF-JFK DL3319 on April 22nd
JFK-FCO DL246 on April 22nd
FCO-JFK DL245 on May 8th
Purchase one-way ticket for JFK-BUF
Total miles for 2 passengers: 120K
Total taxes/fees for 2 passengers: $121.40
Old Apr 9, 2013, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Unfortunately, Virginia Ave's idea of how to thank you for your business is an award ticket involving a 6:00 am departure, a double connection, and at a 16 to 23 hour layover somewhere en route.

Perhaps they hope you'll get discouraged and hold onto your miles until you die... then they will expire them.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 8:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Unfortunately, Virginia Ave's idea of how to thank you for your business is an award ticket involving a 6:00 am departure, a double connection, and at a 16 to 23 hour layover somewhere en route.

Perhaps they hope you'll get discouraged and hold onto your miles until you die... then they will expire them.
We do not call them layovers any more. They are called Skyrests and they are exciting trip enhancements....
Old Apr 9, 2013, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
We do not call them layovers any more. They are called Skyrests and they are exciting trip enhancements....
well played sir

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.