Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Sky Club Value

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2013, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG-Gold
Delta Sky Club Value

I am looking into getting a 1 year pass for the Sky Club.

I have 8 trips ticketed this year SAN to BOS and likely 15 Next year

Mostly the Redeye to ATL and then up to BOS and the returns seem to vary a lot either thru JFK, SLC, ALT or DTW.

Some of the connection times are short 30-50 min but a few have 1-2 hours. FO price is $500 and that's fine but will I get the value from it and beside the free drink or snack, quiet time and internet, what else should I factor in?

Thanks in advance

InsUW
Old Mar 31, 2013, 11:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The SAN SC is small but pretty nice and IME relatively quiet and peaceful. Is it open late enough for your redeye departures?

Does the $500 include any additional first year fee? Do you need a membership or have you considered alternative ways to access SCs: single admissions at $25 with a DL AmEx, day passes at $50 but usually discounted for less, AmEx cards that give access when flying DL, etc.?
Old Mar 31, 2013, 11:03 am

Factor in irregular operations, I have been a Crown Room / Sky Club member since 1986 ... for me I valued my membership most during these times.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 11:09 am

Programs: DL Platinum
Not worth it IMO unless you have at least 1.5 hour layover (and SC is open during your layover), or if you plan to get to departure airport early.

For $450 you can get a DL reserve card with SC access and some additional perks.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 11:19 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by tfox
Not worth it IMO unless you have at least 1.5 hour layover (and SC is open during your layover), or if you plan to get to departure airport early.

For $450 you can get a DL reserve card with SC access and some additional perks.
Or regular Amex Plat with SC access and a different set of (valuable) perks.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 11:19 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by tfox

You can also get the AmEx regular Plat charge card with access and different additional perks.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 11:28 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by InsUW2
I am looking into getting a 1 year pass for the Sky Club.

but will I get the value from it and beside the free drink or snack, quiet time and internet, what else should I factor in?

Thanks in advance

InsUW
Depending on how quickly your status increases, it may be worth waiting a few weeks and then getting a three year membership.

There also are some discounts/ bonus points that pop up from time to time.

Bob H
Old Mar 31, 2013, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Yes the SAN Sky Club is open when the SAN - ATL flights leave and they are open in ATL when I arrive.

I have the Delta Platinum and Delta Business Platinum from AMEX so no need for another one.

I have been stuck at BOS waiting for a flight for several hours too many times...
Old Mar 31, 2013, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BobH
Depending on how quickly your status increases, it may be worth waiting a few weeks and then getting a three year membership.

There also are some discounts/ bonus points that pop up from time to time.

Bob H
Yes I thought about this, I will hit FO again this year in about 10 days and if I have calculated the miles and trips properly I will make GM in July and PM should happen in Oct

This all assumes I don't get a MR trip in or an additional trip to somewhere
Old Mar 31, 2013, 11:46 am

Yes the SAN Sky Club is open when the SAN - ATL flights leave and they are open in ATL when I arrive.

I have the Delta Platinum and Delta Business Platinum from AMEX so no need for another one.

I have been stuck at BOS waiting for a flight for several hours too many times...
Then you can enter SCs for $25. Are you likely to use them more than twenty times during the next year?
Old Mar 31, 2013, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Then you can enter SCs for $25. Are you likely to use them more than twenty times during the next year?
Good Question and I will review the trips and Layovers and see how many I would likely use
Old Mar 31, 2013, 11:58 am

Programs: DL PM, WN, SC, various other programs of lowly status

For an extra $300 you can upgrade the DL Platinum to the DL Reserve card. Other perks that might sway you:
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/freque...e-credit-card/
Old Mar 31, 2013, 12:09 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
Or regular Amex Plat with SC access and a different set of (valuable) perks.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You can also get the AmEx regular Plat charge card with access and different additional perks.
This. With the additional perks, it's a good deal compared to just buying a SC membership. Without additional perks, it's still pretty much a break even.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by us2
This. With the additional perks, it's a good deal compared to just buying a SC membership. Without additional perks, it's still pretty much a break even.
+1 more for the AmEx Platinum card. Cheaper than the $500 price for the Sky Club, and comes with far more perks.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 1:45 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
Delta Sky Club Value

The only reason I'd consider the sky club membership as a FO is if I traveled internationally frequently. Otherwise Amex Platinum or Reserve are just better value. Plus when you hit GM you can get into international lounges anyways.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.