Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The CRJ 200 fleet is getting out of hand...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2013, 8:56 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch

Is there data out there that shows how often the 200s delay and cancel? My personal experiences of late are frustratingly poor. I will add I have made status on segments since the first Clinton administration... I have flown on these things with frequency for a long time and either I have had a bad run of luck or they are unable to fly a lot more often...

Also, are they under some sort of MO to tape em up and keep em going? The interiors on them are officially shot ... Speaking of tape , there were balls of tape lodged inside the window of the emergency exit door... They appeared to have been intentionally installed. It was kind of disconcerting ... I am sure it was not dangerous, but the fact that people who fix the plane would do that makes you wonder...
Old Feb 20, 2013, 9:07 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hertz Gold Plus, SPG Gold
Blah. I hate those planes. I have already gotten stuck on them three times this year. I need to stop flying through MEM.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 9:59 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
All I can say is that DL cannot get rid of these flying tuna cans fast enough. Problem is that some of them are finding their way over to AA where I get to continue my enjoyment with them.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors

717s coming soon right?
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
I've been lucky to have mostly decent interiors on the CRJ-200's. I just have a problem with who is operating them. You know Pinnacle must be really bad when you star longing for the Comair experience. As long as the crj is operated by Skywest I know I'll have a good flight.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Speed Tape

Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
Speaking of tape , there were balls of tape lodged inside the window of the emergency exit door... They appeared to have been intentionally installed. It was kind of disconcerting ... I am sure it was not dangerous, but the fact that people who fix the plane would do that makes you wonder...
Although it often looks like duct tape (and please do tell me if I misunderstood your point), it is called "speed tape," an aluminized tape that is formally approved for aircraft repairs. It is much stronger than duct tape (or any other type of tape) and can be used inside the cabin, or even on the aircraft exterior.

-J.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 5:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
For some markets, the CRJ-200 is the right size. If they're eliminated, some places will lose all DL service and other routes will reduce the frequency, making connections much less convenient and more risky. Be careful what you wish for....
Old Feb 21, 2013, 5:25 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jzweighaft
Although it often looks like duct tape (and please do tell me if I misunderstood your point), it is called "speed tape," an aluminized tape that is formally approved for aircraft repairs. It is much stronger than duct tape (or any other type of tape) and can be used inside the cabin, or even on the aircraft exterior.

-J.
When it is made into a ball and used like a spacer on the inside of an exit row window, is it installed properly?
Old Feb 21, 2013, 5:35 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
For some markets, the CRJ-200 is the right size. If they're eliminated, some places will lose all DL service and other routes will reduce the frequency, making connections much less convenient and more risky. Be careful what you wish for....
Note, I have no issue with the plane itself. I have an issue with how it has been maintained, the significant rate of mechanical related delays and cancellations, and the overall appearance that they are under orders to spend as little as possible on the plane whilst keeping it generally fly able...

The fact that it is being utilized on routes, still, to places that traditionally supported and still do support mainline aircraft is a related issue in my case, but not really a point I was attempting to make.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Fortunately I've been able to avoid the barbi-jet for over a year now since my routes are mainly serviced by mainline or RJ900s. My next 'adventure' on one will be for vacation at the end of Aug, since the RJ200 is the only option to connect to.

I agree they always do appear to have a beat up and dirty interior, and a rickety feeling in general.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
Is there data out there that shows how often the 200s delay and cancel? My personal experiences of late are frustratingly poor. I will add I have made status on segments since the first Clinton administration... I have flown on these things with frequency for a long time and either I have had a bad run of luck or they are unable to fly a lot more often...

Also, are they under some sort of MO to tape em up and keep em going? The interiors on them are officially shot ... Speaking of tape , there were balls of tape lodged inside the window of the emergency exit door... They appeared to have been intentionally installed. It was kind of disconcerting ... I am sure it was not dangerous, but the fact that people who fix the plane would do that makes you wonder...
As much as I hate the CRJ....I have never once taken a delay or canceled flight with any. 200/700/900. (and i fly the little ones a good bit)

Having said that, I cant wait till the things are gone. I don't mind the ERJ family to much (get the 1 side and its great IMO) but jeesh i hate the CRJ.

oh, and it could be speed tape and it could be legal. Would have to see the "repair" and then would have to see the AMM. Very hard to say.... (just remember, sometimes you see something on an aircraft that is perfectly safe but it doesn't look/seem like it.)
Old Feb 21, 2013, 5:56 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
As much as I hate the CRJ....I have never once taken a delay or canceled flight with any. 200/700/900. (and i fly the little ones a good bit)

Having said that, I cant wait till the things are gone. I don't mind the ERJ family to much (get the 1 side and its great IMO) but jeesh i hate the CRJ.

oh, and it could be speed tape and it could be legal. Would have to see the "repair" and then would have to see the AMM. Very hard to say.... (just remember, sometimes you see something on an aircraft that is perfectly safe but it doesn't look/seem like it.)
Are you going to go on this very website and tell frequent fliers that you have never taken a delay on any of the RJ fleet? Tell us Mark Richt also has 7 National Championships at UGA so we know you are kidding...
Old Feb 21, 2013, 5:59 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
I was reading the attached article and I quote - "In the year ending February 2013, 32% of Delta's system-wide flights were flown on 50-seat aircraft."

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1208...d?source=yahoo

It seems a huge number to me.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by hazelrah
I was reading the attached article and I quote - "In the year ending February 2013, 32% of Delta's system-wide flights were flown on 50-seat aircraft."

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1208...d?source=yahoo

It seems a huge number to me.
I think number of flights is a less useful metric than how many people fly on a 50-seater. A 74S seats 376 pax; it'll take 7.5 CR2 flights to move that many people. While there may be a lot of 50-seater flights, there the percentage of DL pax flying on CR2s is far lower than 32%.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 7:44 am

Programs: DL DM, SC, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I've been lucky to have mostly decent interiors on the CRJ-200's. I just have a problem with who is operating them. You know Pinnacle must be really bad when you star longing for the Comair experience. As long as the crj is operated by Skywest I know I'll have a good flight.
+1 While the aircraft itself is very uncomfortable, the dependability seems to depend, unsurprisingly, on the operator. Over the last couple of years, Skywest has been doing a pretty good job.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.