Wiki Posts
Search

Thinning the Ranks

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL-DM, 2MM; AA,QF,UA, WN. Every imaginable hotel program
Thinning the Ranks

Anyone care to speculate how much thinning out of the Medallion ranks will be caused by the new MQD requirement?

I personally think it will likely have minimal effect.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:04 pm

They should double the MQD requirements for Plat/Dia to be more effective.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:05 pm

Programs: Delta, Avios, Chase
I think there will be a disproportionate impact at the lower levels and this is really a ploy to get even more people to get the Amex products, which give the same benefits as being FO, while freeing up the choice seats for PMs and DMs that may not book LUT fares 3 months in advance.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:07 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Eliminate a few Platinums who booked cheap airfare.

E.g. I flew Delta or partner to AsiaPac (20k) last year 2x with each ticket falling under $1500 r/t

Maybe they can now offer reasonably price award redemption.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:09 pm

Programs: DL PM Reserve
Originally Posted by DLFan2
Anyone care to speculate how much thinning out of the Medallion ranks will be caused by the new MQD requirement?

I think it will be very effective at eliminating some low-value Silvers and Golds that don't spend much on tickets annually, and don't spend much/any on a DL Amex annually.

Unfortunately for those affected, I think it will knock a lot of GM/PM/DMs down to FO/GM if they don't do the Amex waiver.

Mostly will probably affect those who don't study all the details or care about their status.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by DLFan2

There will be some affect. Those most likely to be affected are those who obtain status largely through cheap but long-distance mileage runs. So now instead of being DMs or PMs, they'll only be GMs or FOs because of their spending, and won't be taking away upgrades from the DMs and PMs who actually spend big bucks on DL to justify the benefits they earn. I don't think the system is perfect, but it's a step in the right direction.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:34 pm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by flydeltajets87
there will be some affect. Those most likely to be affected are those who obtain status largely through cheap but long-distance mileage runs. So now instead of being dms or pms, they'll only be gms or fos because of their spending, and won't be taking away upgrades from the dms and pms who actually spend big bucks on dl to justify the benefits they earn. I don't think the system is perfect, but it's a step in the right direction.
+1,000,000

^
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:38 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM 4MM, Lifetime Marriott Plat Elite, HH Diamond
It wont thin me! But the lack of upgrades and full ec cabins wil! Tired of playing the gate lottery as a DM with PU503 and stil sitting back cabin, non EC or exit and in a middle seat. THAT will effect my loyalty!
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:38 pm

Programs: DL EOS...
Minimal if any thinning of the herd but it makes for great spin to justify taking benefits away.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 1:50 pm

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
I think the main people affected will be people who flew a lot last year, had big rollover, and didn't this year - particularly the triple diamond types. Can you imagine getting your half million MQM rollover erased because you didn't fly for a year?

But the real question is "how does Delta make money off this?" Because they don't really gain much except for the Diamond choice bennies... only thing I can come up with that is substantial is "pricier MQD runs" and more likely "drive people to spend on AMEX."
Old Jan 17, 2013, 1:58 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH DM, MR Gold, SPG Gold, Amtrak SP
Originally Posted by orca15
I think the main people affected will be people who flew a lot last year, had big rollover, and didn't this year - particularly the triple diamond types. Can you imagine getting your half million MQM rollover erased because you didn't fly for a year?

But the real question is "how does Delta make money off this?" Because they don't really gain much except for the Diamond choice bennies... only thing I can come up with that is substantial is "pricier MQD runs" and more likely "drive people to spend on AMEX."
I think the Amex statement at the end is exactly where they will make $$. We already know they are in bed with Amex and this just drives that home. If I was a low end GM who only spends $2,500/year with DL I would get one of the cards to make sure I kept my status.

I already have the platinum Amex and am at the other end of the boat (spent enough for PM last year but will drop to GM in a few weeks because I didn't fly enough miles) so I doubt it will change much for me.

Like others I see this limiting the effectiveness of milage runs and increasing Amex revenue more than anything else. Not sure how much it will thin the ranks though.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 3:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
The spending thresholds should be a little higher. I think an option should be given to AMEX users. They can either get the spending waiver by spending the $25k or they can take part in the MQM bonus. They shouldn't get both.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 4:17 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Do the math -- for people who qualify on segments it comes in at about 80 per leg excluding taxes ---

when was the last time you saw a RT tickee anywhere for less than say $200 all in.

Waste of time and IT effort .... but we don't call it delta.dumb for nothin.

Bob H
Old Jan 17, 2013, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Delta Plat, SPG Platinum/Life Gold
There are two ways of looking at it.....

One, it will increase loyalty by rewarding the really profitable customers.

Two, it will scare off those with more varied flying habits, ie: me.

I fly plenty, usually between 200-300k miles per year depending on how many overseas flights I do with my family on vacation. Work is pretty steady around 200k.

I fly mostly Star alliance as it fits where I fly from/to better most of the time. However, my GM status has meant I will jump over to Delta/Alaska when it makes sense cost or schedule-wise. With the new program I would be very close to retaining my GM status and though I do have a Delta Amex I will likely cancel soon as there are better rewards cards out there so that way won't work.

If I were to lose the GM I would move almost all my current Delta travel back to * alliance flights (usually United/Air Canada/Lufthansa).

I wouldn't be all that heartbroken, Skymiles are impossible to redeem anyways. However, there may be a lot of customers like me out there.....

Cheers

-Canuck stuck in Texas Hell
Old Jan 17, 2013, 4:35 pm

Programs: DL
Unhappy I'm probably gone

A lot of my "spend" comes from booking seats on Skyteam partners (mainly KLM) on their web sites. Thus, I will continue to earn Sky Miles but not Delta $ (gotta come up with a term comparable to sky pesos......). Why do I do this? To a large extent for the better in-air experience (US carriers are simply not comparable on over-water flights, even in J), and to a lesser extent for seat selection. You know the drill - impossible to get seats on partners on a DL ticket 'cuz partners control seats. Partners tell you to talk to the ticket issuer, and then Delta tells you to talk to the partner.... Now I will loose my measly FO and basically not worry about who I fly with. Maybe I'll switch to a program without the "spend" factor (any suggestions?), but this is just handwriting on the wall for those that don't yet have it. This "upgrade" to my Delta experience is the end of my interest in Delta. But one of my biggest disappointments will be no longer reading this forum Still got one year to go though!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.