Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

KVSTools shows AF availability for award but dl.dumb doesn't see it

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2013, 7:12 am
Original Poster

I've read just about every thread on booking award tickets with SM and thought I was getting to be an expert by now.

But trying to get from CDG to LHR on the 18th of October is causing me a problem. Dl.dumb only shows the 7pm flight in the evening as available, yet KVStool shows CS6 CS9 seats as available on 1:20pm flight (and plenty of availability on other flights too).

Since this shows plenty of low awards available, why can't dl book them?

Just trying to avoid a 11hr layover in CDG.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
EF only shows Business award availability on the 7:05 PM flight (O5). The 6:15 PM, 7:05 PM, and 8:15 PM departures have coach availability (X9, X9, and X4, respectively).

AF.us shows Classic availability on the 7:30 AM, the 10:05 AM, the 1:25 PM, the 4:00 PM, the 6:15 PM, the 7:05 PM, and the 8:15 PM. However, in the last few months AF seems to have invented a new Classic Award level that is more expensive than the old Classic Award level, and is only available to FB members. If you search on AF.us, AF wants 30k miles for the 7:05 PM flight, and 40k miles for all the other flights, even though they're all labeled Classic Awards. It has been my experience that only the Classic Awards at the 30k level match what EF shows in O inventory and are the awards that DL SM can snag.

Not sure where KVS is pulling from, but it's possible it is getting tripped up by the two different Classic award levels.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Thanks Javabytes, your explanation helps alot. I see now the 30/40K differentiation.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 1:46 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by mikepa
But trying to get from CDG to LHR on the 18th of October is causing me a problem. Dl.dumb only shows the 7pm flight in the evening as available, yet KVStool shows CS6 CS9 seats as available on 1:20pm flight (and plenty of availability on other flights too).

Since this shows plenty of low awards available, why can't dl book them?
As javabytes had mentioned above, FB had recently introduced non-published award levels that 'masquerade' as Classic awards, but are slightly more expensive. These are not Standard Awards and are not valid for partner redemption: http://Help.KVSTool.com/#AwardTypes

To see the Availability of Standard Awards on AF flights, you can use the [Awards/JL-OneWorld] Method or activate the [Info] Mode when using the [Awards/SkyTeam] Method:

[KVS Availability Tool 7.1.2/Diamond - Axess: Awards/JL-OneWorld/UK]
Code:
CDG  Paris Charles De Gaulle FR [LFPG]
LHR  London Heathrow UK [EGLL]
FRI  18 Oct 2013

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  ------------
AF         1680    CDG   07:30     LHR   07:50     321  0   CS0  YS0
AF         1980    CDG   10:05     LHR   10:25     321  0   CS0  YS0
AF         1780    CDG   13:25     LHR   13:45     321  0   CS0  YS0
AF         1280    CDG   16:00     LHR   16:15     320  0   CS0  YS0
AF         1080    CDG   18:15     LHR   18:30     321  0   CS0  YS9
AF         1180    CDG   19:05     LHR   19:20     320  0   CS7  YS9
AF         1380    CDG   20:15     LHR   20:30     320  0   CS0  YS4
[KVS Availability Tool 7.1.2/Diamond - Amadeus: Awards/SkyTeam/US-AF]
Code:
CDG  Paris Charles De Gaulle FR [LFPG]
LHR  London Heathrow UK [EGLL]
FRI  18 Oct 2013 | 1 Seat

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive         St  Information
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  ------------------------------------
AF         1680    CDG   07:30     LHR   07:50              Dur: 01:20 | FB: 40K+52/30K+40 USD
AF         1980    CDG   10:05     LHR   10:25              Dur: 01:20 | FB: 40K+52/12.5K+40 USD
AF         1780    CDG   13:25     LHR   13:45              Dur: 01:20 | FB: 40K+52/12.5K+40 USD
AF         1280    CDG   16:00     LHR   16:15              Dur: 01:15 | FB: 40K+52/12.5K+40 USD
AF         1080    CDG   18:15     LHR   18:30              Dur: 01:15 | FB: 40K+52/10K+40 USD
AF         1180    CDG   19:05     LHR   19:20              Dur: 01:15 | FB: 30K+52/10K+40 USD
AF         1380    CDG   20:15     LHR   20:30              Dur: 01:15 | FB: 40K+52/10K+40 USD
Old Jan 8, 2013, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Much appreciate the pointers KVS. (Love your product BTW.)
Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by javabytes
EF only shows Business award availability on the 7:05 PM flight (O5). The 6:15 PM, 7:05 PM, and 8:15 PM departures have coach availability (X9, X9, and X4, respectively).

AF.us shows Classic availability on the 7:30 AM, the 10:05 AM, the 1:25 PM, the 4:00 PM, the 6:15 PM, the 7:05 PM, and the 8:15 PM. However, in the last few months AF seems to have invented a new Classic Award level that is more expensive than the old Classic Award level, and is only available to FB members. If you search on AF.us, AF wants 30k miles for the 7:05 PM flight, and 40k miles for all the other flights, even though they're all labeled Classic Awards. It has been my experience that only the Classic Awards at the 30k level match what EF shows in O inventory and are the awards that DL SM can snag.

Not sure where KVS is pulling from, but it's possible it is getting tripped up by the two different Classic award levels.
Originally Posted by KVS
As javabytes had mentioned above, FB had recently introduced non-published award levels that 'masquerade' as Classic awards, but are slightly more expensive. These are not Standard Awards and are not valid for partner redemption
Thanks to javabytes and KVS for (authoritative) this info. Any input from EFV?

I've updated the master ST partner SM award thread (post 1):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...er-thread.html

Let me know if you guys have any additional input.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 5:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mnredfox

One of the problems I see with the current sticky thread is the 40+ pages - I didn't realize you were keeping the first few posts updated and thought I had to read all 40 pages to get the full scoop.

It seems like you are doing a great job of maintaining the thread's first few pages with up-to-date info, so how about axing the other 39 pages so people know they don't have to read them? Assumedely any gems in the 39 extra pages have been transferred to the first page?

Also, I have found that as long as dl.com is used judiciously it can work well for DL and major partners like AF/KLM. Only when one is dealing with 2nd tier airlines like CZ & CI does one really need the other tools. I just booked the trip FLL-LHR-CDG-MIA picking optimum flights all for low level using dl.com and it didn't take that long. We need to be very clear on the steps to take to do it though. Also, the other tools are handy for keeping "an eye out" for better flights if you couldn't find your optimum flights first time.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 5:46 am

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
When are people going to realize AF no longer plays nice with DL when it comes to award space!?
Old Jan 9, 2013, 6:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Vuelos
When are people going to realize AF no longer plays nice with DL when it comes to award space!?
Well yes and no. They do have awards available and I just booked two seats TATL on AF MIA-CDG non-stop which is one of their flagship routes.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 7:43 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else

EFV doesn't need to provide input, since their data isn't coming from screen scraping (i.e., charging people for what they can get for free from the FlyingBlue site). EF pulls exactly the O and X buckets, which are what are offered to partners.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 11:46 am
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Originally Posted by mtkeller
EFV doesn't need to provide input, since their data isn't coming from screen scraping (i.e., charging people for what they can get for free from the FlyingBlue site). EF pulls exactly the O and X buckets, which are what are offered to partners.
mtkeller is correct, ExpertFlyer uniquely accesses the published AF O/X inventory available to partners.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Yep.

It's quite intuitive with KVS that one should select OneWorld methods when trying to find AF availability...
Old Jan 9, 2013, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ExpertFlyer Voice
mtkeller is correct, ExpertFlyer uniquely accesses the published AF O/X inventory available to partners.
Is it just Delta's award inventory that EF can't see (out of the Skyteam alliance)?
Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mikepa
One of the problems I see with the current sticky thread is the 40+ pages - I didn't realize you were keeping the first few posts updated and thought I had to read all 40 pages to get the full scoop.

It seems like you are doing a great job of maintaining the thread's first few pages with up-to-date info, so how about axing the other 39 pages so people know they don't have to read them? Assumedely any gems in the 39 extra pages have been transferred to the first page?

Also, I have found that as long as dl.com is used judiciously it can work well for DL and major partners like AF/KLM. Only when one is dealing with 2nd tier airlines like CZ & CI does one really need the other tools. I just booked the trip FLL-LHR-CDG-MIA picking optimum flights all for low level using dl.com and it didn't take that long. We need to be very clear on the steps to take to do it though. Also, the other tools are handy for keeping "an eye out" for better flights if you couldn't find your optimum flights first time.
Thanks for your input, many folks have expressed this and I'd love to make it more useful. Let me PM some mods and get their input.

Originally Posted by ExpertFlyer Voice
Thank you for clarifying. Does this mean EF O availability should be what is available to partners (and thus the faux classic is not contained within this)?
Old Jan 9, 2013, 1:36 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Thank you for clarifying. Does this mean EF O availability should be what is available to partners (and thus the faux classic is not contained within this)?
To our knowledge, yes. Another interesting data point to look into would be if only the TATL routes are given this semi-Classic award type, which might go to explain the issues of AF award redemption via DL on those routes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.