Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

From Business to First using SkyMiles on Korean Air

Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta: Platinum Hilton: Gold Marriott: Platinum Priority Points: Plat

I am flying Korean Air in December. I am attempting to use my Delta SkyMiles to upgrade from Business Class to First Class on Korean Air. Does anyone have any experience with this. I keep getting a different answer saying that I have to talk to Korean and then Korean says I have to talk to Delta. Thanks!
Old Nov 26, 2012, 1:45 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
You can't use DL miles to upgrade a KE flight. DL upgrade awards are only available on DL operated flights. Also select AF and KLM flights can be upgraded with miles. All of them require you to purchase expensive fares (i.e. Y/B/M). Also, you can't use DL miles to get into first class on the few SkyTeam carriers that offer a FC cabin such as AF or KE..

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...de-awards.html
Old Nov 26, 2012, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by roknroll
You can't use DL miles to upgrade a KE flight. DL upgrade awards are only available on DL operated flights. Also select AF and KLM flights can be upgraded with miles. All of them require you to purchase expensive fares (i.e. Y/B/M). Also, you can't use DL miles to get into first class on the few SkyTeam carriers that offer a FC cabin such as AF or KE..

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...de-awards.html
This is not entirely correct; SkyMiles can be used to upgrade high-band fares on a variety of carriers.

http://www.skyteam.com/en/Why-SkyTea...-Redeem-Miles/

However, to the OP, DL miles cannot get you into international first class on any carrier, either through upgrades or pure F redemptions. As seen at the SkyTeam Upgrade page, KE only allows upgrades from Y fares to business class.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 2:34 pm

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Unlike AA or UA miles, SkyMilles won't get you into any carrier's international first class cabin.

The upside of this downside is that only 2 SkyTeam carriers (AF and KE) offer IFC.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 5:04 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by Sabai
The upside of this downside is that only 2 SkyTeam carriers (AF and KE) offer IFC.
What do CZ, CI, and MU have that they sell as IFC then? CZ definitely has a true IFC product on their long-haul aircraft.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 5:11 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by akonradi
However, to the OP, DL miles cannot get you into international first class on any carrier, either through upgrades or pure F redemptions.
Exactly.

To make this simple before this thread tumbles into 40 responses that elaborate on the same thing.

You cannot use DL miles to fly true international F. Period. No Exceptions.

One of the many great things about DL miles and Skyteam
Old Nov 26, 2012, 5:20 pm

Programs: AS, DL, AA, UA, WN
Originally Posted by DLATL777
One of the many great things about DL miles and Skyteam
This is not SkyTeam specific. The general rule of thumb is that your miles cannot get you into International F if the carrier on which you earned your miles does not have an International F product.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 5:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Sabai
Unlike AA or UA miles, SkyMilles won't get you into any carrier's international first class cabin.

Why do you think that this "fact" if it's true would be an upside? I wouldn't see it that way.

For the record, one can officially (formerly) use SWUs to upgrade on DL, AF, and KLM only.

Miles can be used for upgrades according to the SkyTeam upgrade awards program. This covers KE for FULL Y to business class upgrades, although not during the extensive blackout periods that DL imposes for award tickets on KE flights.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 6:07 pm

Programs: AS, DL, AA, UA, WN
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Why do you think that this "fact" if it's true would be an upside? I wouldn't see it that way.
I believe that was tongue-in-cheek. While it's a downside that you can't get into International F using DL miles, SkyTeam has only two airlines which provide an International F product in the first place, so it barely matters.

While you can officially use SkyMiles to upgrade on KE from full Y, you can only upgrade to J, not F.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by steex
This is not SkyTeam specific. The general rule of thumb is that your miles cannot get you into International F if the carrier on which you earned your miles does not have an International F product.
This is true. However, Skyteam (by far the weakest alliance) has the fewest carriers with true F with which to use your miles. Thus, my remains.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 6:25 pm

Programs: SK EBD, AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by DLATL777
This is true. However, Skyteam (by far the weakest alliance) has the fewest carriers with true F with which to use your miles. Thus, my remains.
This is NOT true for Star Alliance - for example, EuroBonus miles (from SK that does not offer first) can be used to upgrade to F on all *A carriers that participate in the *A upgrade program and that offer international F cabins.

Actually, OW does not offer an alliance-wide upgrade program so I don't really see how this statement can be true at all.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by ClaesJ
This is NOT true for Star Alliance - for example, EuroBonus miles (from SK that does not offer first) can be used to upgrade to F on all *A carriers that participate in the *A upgrade program and that offer international F cabins.

Actually, OW does not offer an alliance-wide upgrade program so I don't really see how this statement can be true at all.
I assume you are referring to this posters comment and not mine on SkyTeam being the weakest:
Originally Posted by steex
Old Nov 27, 2012, 7:25 am
g50

Programs: DL DM 2MM, AA LTP, Hyatt Globalist, FB Plat
Could the OP book an upgradeable fare on KE. Use KE points to upgrade, and then earn miles and MQMs on Delta?

AF would be another story because one would need status with AF for F.

For me, not being able to use points for F is the biggest disappointment with Sky Team.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by g50
Could the OP book an upgradeable fare on KE. Use KE points to upgrade, and then earn miles and MQMs on Delta?

AF would be another story because one would need status with AF for F.

For me, not being able to use points for F is the biggest disappointment with Sky Team.
And that status is very difficult to obtain for most people given the structure of Flying Poo.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:30 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by g50
That's something worth looking into, especially since Chase UR points can transfer directly to KE miles. Only worth the time if you have a good amount of Chase UR points.

https://www.koreanair.com/local/na/g...sp_rm_ka04.jsp

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.