Community
Wiki Posts
Search

75Es to get flat-beds in J

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2012, 3:53 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Circa 2000. 767-300ER in B/E.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 4:02 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by g2gtrading
This may be the end of comped upgrades on this route. Not that they come easily anyway.
I doubt it. There's still only 16 seats up front, and DL does a good job of selling those seats for a premium price. There's usually only a few (if any) seats available for complimentary upgrades. Also DL doesn't open any upgrade inventory on these flights, all sell tickets up front until the GA starts to clear upgrades just prior to boarding. DL doesn't really gain anything by leaving their top customers in the back with empty seats up front.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, WF GoFar Rewards, AAdvantage, United MileagePlus
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I understand your point that the equipment is 75E, but the press release speaks to conversions for the 757 transcon fleet specifically, not all aircraft of the type.

Extracts from today's press release, emphasis mine.

All of Delta's Boeing 757 and 767 aircraft serving these transcontinental markets will offer the flatbed seats over approximately the following 24 months.

Sixteen full flat-bed seats on the updated transcontinental 757 fleet...

Prior to the full cabin modification and by next summer, the transcon 757 fleet...

Maybe the rest of the 757 Business Elites will get upgraded on a different timeline. Maybe they'll go away and DL will upgauge to 767s or drop the routes. Maybe they had the staff who normally do promo T&Cs write this press release and they've done another bang-up job! I look forward to clarification, a broader press release - or the strings of invective that will come when some people here figure out that their BE seats really will still be 150-degree recliners.
I'd expect they would retrofit the entire 75E fleet rather than adding another 757 subfleet. DL has been trying to reduce the number of 757 subfleets, and converting all of them would give DL greater flexibility on these routes, where they can fly both transcontinental and international routes.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 4:17 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP Gold 100K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by javabytes
Bunk beds?
LOL
+1
Old Nov 5, 2012, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by roknroll
DL doesn't really gain anything by leaving their top customers in the back with empty seats up front.
They think they do... that's why int'l flights are no comp upgrades, M fare + miles/SWU only.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 5:01 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
DL doesn't really gain anything by leaving their top customers in the back with empty seats up front.
It usually phrased as "protecting the revenue premium" or something (ie: don't give away something if it means people won't pay for it), but given that many of these flights go out with J sold out or nearly so, the revenue premium is probably pretty well protected already.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 6:52 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bennos
It usually phrased as "protecting the revenue premium" or something (ie: don't give away something if it means people won't pay for it), but given that many of these flights go out with J sold out or nearly so, the revenue premium is probably pretty well protected already.
Totally agree. If these pax truly were DL's "top customers," they wouldn't be flying in the back in the first place.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Seems like 752s will be configured with the 764 type seats? Too bad no 767 on SFO-JFK route, all in JFK-LAX and JFK-SEA
Old Nov 6, 2012, 3:09 am

Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold
Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
Problem is with the 757 - there is no good way to have a 1-1 BE cabin without compromising the economics. Between doors 1 and 2, there is no way they would be able to get more than 10-12 BE seats instead of 16 in that space. If they extend BE past the 2nd door, they will start messing with EC and Y seats counts....
I dunno, they may be able to get away with herringbones. Something along the lines of the BE seats on the 777s, but obviously a 1-1x8 instead of a 1-2-1x7 in the front section. It's hard to get dimensions on the plane's subsections so I can't really do any better than an eyeball.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 4:51 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1K, DL 1MM/Silver
The BE seats on the ex-TWA 75E's are actually leased. Yes, the seats are leased.

Could it be that the lease term is expiring and DL has decided to invest in a more competitive product rather than recommitting to the tired old recliners?
Old Nov 6, 2012, 6:22 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by g2gtrading
This may be the end of comped upgrades on this route. Not that they come easily anyway.
Having given this more (logical) thought, it really doesn't make any sense for Delta to take away comped upgrades on this route. They have a great product that they increasingly sell out. On more than one occasion I have been #1 on the upgrade list and not gotten the upgrade, and am about 50% upgrade on the JFK-LAX route. So, if they're adding more capacity, why bother taking away the comp upgrade when it's hard to get anyways? All that would do would further diminish benefits.

As an example, forcing us to use a SWU with a K+ fare would only be valuable if it could be confirmed at the time of booking. Otherwise, you are back to the gate lottery. And while under this scenario you would technically be competing with fewer people for upgrades on any particular flight, I'm not sure the upgrade chances would greatly improve. From a benefits/customer relationship standpoint, there seems to be more downside than upside for them to do this.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, WF GoFar Rewards, AAdvantage, United MileagePlus
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Seems like 752s will be configured with the 764 type seats? Too bad no 767 on SFO-JFK route, all in JFK-LAX and JFK-SEA
The Thompson Vantage would fit 16 seats in an alternating 2-2/1-1 layout in 5 rows. The article says they will be in a 2-2 layout, so I'm not sure if the seats will be Thompson Vantage. As I stated earlier, a possibility could be the B/E Aerospace Diamond like what is on UA's PMCO 752s, which fit in a 2-2 layout on the 757.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 7:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH gold
Originally Posted by Delta 764
The Thompson Vantage would fit 16 seats in an alternating 2-2/1-1 layout in 5 rows. The article says they will be in a 2-2 layout, so I'm not sure if the seats will be Thompson Vantage. As I stated earlier, a possibility could be the B/E Aerospace Diamond like what is on UA's PMCO 752s, which fit in a 2-2 layout on the 757.
In either case, it is certainly an exciting product and a clear enhancement (not meant ironically). I realize that service may not be what it once was, but hard product around the globe continues to improve (with the possible exception of E-)
Old Nov 6, 2012, 7:55 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
So, if they're adding more capacity, why bother taking away the comp upgrade when it's hard to get anyways? All that would do would further diminish benefits.

As an example, forcing us to use a SWU with a K+ fare would only be valuable if it could be confirmed at the time of booking. Otherwise, you are back to the gate lottery.
Cynically, imagine DL starts requiring K+ to upgrade these routes. Given that there are people willing to buy M+ to have a chance at upgrading internationally, why wouldn't others buy K+ to have a chance at upgrading TCON? And whenever they do sell out J and nobody gets upgraded, they've further increased revenue by forcing a bunch of pointless buy-ups to K.

Of course, that's where B6+EMS starts looking a lot better than DL+EC.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 2:50 pm
Company Representative - Delta Air Lines

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
The article states they will be in a 2-2 layout. I'm not sure if the Thompson Vantage will fit on the 757 such layout. Perhaps they will be the B/E Aerospace Diamond, similar to what is on UA's PMCO 752s.
Our flat-bed seats on the 75E fleet will be a version of the Parallel Diamond that’s exclusive to Delta. The seat is manufactured by B/E Aerospace.
It's nice to read that the 757 JFK-SEA/SFO/LAX transcons will be fitted with lie-flats within 24 months, but this falls well short of committing to lie-flats on all the 757 intercon routes, ie the select South America and Europe routes.
In addition to transcon routes, the 75E fleet also operates from JFK to destinations in Europe and Africa as well as ATL to BSB. The entire fleet of 18 aircraft will be configured with new flat-bed seats, new Economy seats, new IFE, updated finishes, updated lavs and new full RGB+W LED mood lighting, consistent with the lighting system that will be delivered on the 737-900ER fleet.
I'm surprised that DL is going to be stepping back from its policy of having direct aisle access for all new BE flat bed seats. Claiming that feature for all longhaul aircraft would be good marketing and allow for some straightforward ads without having to list exceptions.
Delta’s entire widebody international fleet will feature flat-bed seats with direct aisle access. The 75E fleet will feature flat-bed seats with a step-over for the 8 window seats. Unfortunately a direct aisle access configuration on a narrowbody would result in a significant reduction in seat count.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.