Wiki Posts
Search

DL or KLM or AF in Y from LAX-FCO?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Delta 2MM, HHonors Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
DL or KLM or AF in Y from LAX-FCO?

I need to book a coach ticket from LAX-FCO and back from Milan.

I can fly LAX-CDG-FCO which would be on the 380 from LAX-CDG. Looks like 19" wide seats and 32" pitch. Looks like no EC on AF, unless I pay for Premium.

I can also take the old KLM 747-Combi from LAX-AMS. Narrow seats but have Economy Comfort, which I understand I would be able to get as a DM (am I right). The extra 7" recline could be nice for an overnight flight.

I can fly to FCO on DL via JFK or ATL. I know EC would be available on these flights, if available. This flight is second week of November so I'm assuming an Op-Up is a real long shot.

Alitalia is available from FCO-LAX non-stop on the return as an option as well, but not available on the outbound on the day I leave. This would be on the 777-200. Not sure if DM would be entitled to any special seats on this one.

I think I would get 100% RDM/EQM on any of these airlines but I better read that closer.

Recommendations?

Thanks,
Mileage Lover
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:40 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I've done LAX-AMS (or back) on the Combi many times. EC is in (or at least used to be) a small cabin between J in the nose and the main Y cabin in the back. It is 3-2 seating -- with a wall on the 2 side. It is much quieter than the main Y cabin -- almost cozy.

I've not done LAX-CDG in Y (only J) -- and never on a 380, but I would avoid the 777 as it looked awfully cramped when I walked back for a peek.

Never flown AZ so I can't comment. Non stop is always nice, though.

Other than a non stop (which is not usually an option for me) I'd lean towards DL. Depending on timing, you'd have a decent shot at an upgrade between LAX and JFK (i'm something like 10/10 over the past 3 years as PM and DM) and getting it for that last leg on the way home makes a nice end to a trip.

Also, DL will treat you nicer as you're their DM -- while an OpUp is not to be counted on, you are more likely on DL than the others. I got one JFK-BRU in early December last year so it's not out of the question.

And just to confuse things more, AMS is by far the nicest of the three for changing planes.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:45 pm

Programs: Most at varying levels of elite-ness.
I reviewed the Combi a while back. Really liked EC, but got stuck next to a big guy in the exit row. Seats on the non-window side (D&E) seem like a better choice if you can deal without a window. HEre's the review:

http://www.modhop.com/klm_boeing_747/
Old Sep 27, 2012, 1:31 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Some considerations:
- If you fly DL you'll have to connect in the US on the way back, and that means collecting bags and re-checking them. I would rather fly directly into LAX on the way back and avoid a domestic connection. Also, the many, many DL 763s that have not been updated are AWFUL. Avoid those.
- Personally, the A380 sounds cool and I would try that. The main AF disadvantage though is CDG, which is a toilet and I really dislike connecting there. I don't like AF intra-EU (KL is much better) but the CDG-FCO flight is pretty short. Still, CDG sucks.
- I've never been disappointed by KL long-hauls. AMS is a gem and it's a pleasure to connect there. Intra-EU KL is better than AF, IMO.
- I've never flown AZ long-haul, so I really can't comment but the convenience of a direct flight should be considered.

Having said that I would go with KL or AZ.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 1:53 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Quality of Food:
1)Klm
2) Delta
3) Air France
4) Alitalia

Quality of Coffee:
1) Air France
2) KLM
3) Delta
4) Alitalia (hard to believe from the country that invented espresso and cappuccino, but true)

Quality of Service
1) KLM
2) Air France
3) Delta
4) Alitalia

Convenience
1) Alitalia
2) KLM/Schiphol
3) AF/CDG - the CDG lounges are quite nice and have nice showers - I like changing planes there
4) Delta's horrible JFK Experience

Chances of Op-up (based on my random observations flying all of them a lot from TLV-*USA)
1) Delta
2) KLM
3) Alitalia
4) Air France

All that said, I'd probably agree with florin above.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 3:07 am

Programs: DL FO, BA Bronze, Avis Preferred
I quite like the upper deck Y on the AF A380, though KL EC is quite nice as well.

Is it possible to fly AF one way and KL the other? Then you'd get the best of both worlds.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Delta 2MM, HHonors Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
Thanks for all the great feedback. Sounds like KLM might be nice if I can get EC. I will be flying the A380 in biz on an award ticket the week before this business trip so will be nice to experience that metal. To head to the back of the bus in the A380 a week later may be a bit of a letdown.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 9:36 am

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
Am starting to do research for the exact same route but will be booking an F ticket. Interesting comments on service... do they hold true for F as well?
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:15 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by MichaelKade
Am starting to do research for the exact same route but will be booking an F ticket. Interesting comments on service... do they hold true for F as well?
If you're booking international first class, your only option TATL on SkyTeam is AF. Presumably you mean business class (J), which all four offer. AZ will get you a flat bed, which I'd take in a heartbeat. Apparently their Magnifica (J) catering is also pretty good now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.