Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Having DL AmEx card gives favored award availability

Having DL AmEx card gives favored award availability

Old Sep 26, 2012, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Globalist
FO without DL AMEX 40k MPS-SEA DL41 7:30PM one way search - "I am flying"

Looks like I should get a DL AMEX if I'm not going to make Gold this year to book awards...
Old Sep 26, 2012, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Same results for me...

Mr. FindAWay (no-status, DL Gold Amex holder) = 25k MSP-SEA DL41 7:30PM one way search - "I am flying"

Mrs. FindAWay (no-status, No Amex) = 40k MSP-SEA DL41 7:30PM one way search

If this is an unintended benefit or bug (like Priority AAccess (instead of just priority boarding) for AA CitiCards), I don't want it shutdown.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Does anyone know if AMEX also gives better availability for First/Business class?
Old Sep 26, 2012, 4:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by blug
Does anyone know if AMEX also gives better availability for First/Business class?
I would be surprised if this were to happen because elites only get additional availability for domestic coach award tickets, not international of FC/BE according to announcements about the enhanced availability benefit. AFAIK no one has reported observing better international of BE/FC award inventory for elites, even DMs.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
OK -thanks for the heads up. I am Delta Platinum Amex. I will see what I can get.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 6:31 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
I am also curious if the DL Amex level matters
Reserve vs Plat vs Gold vs the lowly blue DL card
I suspect this is a bug, as it is certainly an unadvertised benefit

Even as a DM I never got any better LOW C class awards, even with the DR
Old Sep 26, 2012, 7:04 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by blug
It surprises me that DL does not advertise this AMEX benefit.
You mean they could advertise that award availability is slightly less miserly if you have an AMEX card?

David
Old Sep 26, 2012, 7:08 pm

Programs: Delta, Avios, Chase
thanks to all of you that have highlighted this unintended benefit. i'm sure it will go away now.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dgxoxo
thanks to all of you that have highlighted this unintended benefit. i'm sure it will go away now.
Do not be too sure about that. This could be a huge marketing benefit.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 8:40 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
And for those of us who do not do business with Amex, a punch in the eye. Especially for high level elites. If a non-elite wtih an Amex has the same or better availability for awards than a PM or DM with no Amex does, it is one more item on the list.

That's IF this is true. I wouldn't call the SkyFalling yet.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by james318
And for those of us who do not do business with Amex, a punch in the eye. Especially for high level elites. If a non-elite wtih an Amex has the same or better availability for awards than a PM or DM with no Amex does, it is one more item on the list.

That's IF this is true. I wouldn't call the SkyFalling yet.
I agree - it is unfair - but as has been said in other threads - Delta is in the business (not of flying planes) but making money - and AMEX makes them money- sad but true and yes unfair. But as a former boss once said to me "hey, whoever said life was fair".
Old Sep 26, 2012, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
james, are you DM without the DL Amex? Did your search give you a 40k award?
Old Sep 26, 2012, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Not sure. Wouldn't they want to push the "exclusive" PWM benefit instead?
Old Sep 28, 2012, 4:49 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Lightbulb Confrimed info.

Originally Posted by fti
I was working on a booking for friends and realized that owning the DL AmEX card gives favored availability for domestic awards vs. not owning it. None of the three accounts I tried, including mine, are for anyone with any DL status.

I checked MSP-SEA for 09 July. Not logged in (or logged into an account of someone who does not have the card) only gives 40K mile awards. But once logged into the account of a DL AmEx cardholder, the "I am traveling" button appears and if checked, gives a 25K mile award on one flight that day.

You learn something new every day! One more reason to own the DL AmEx card vs. being FO
More than just FO. I have now CONFIRMED facts with Delta:

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/deltap...ity-sometimes/

Last edited by Renes Points; Jul 11, 2013 at 6:34 pm
Old Sep 28, 2012, 8:30 am

It's been a long week, so I may be overlooking the obvious, but will someone explain to me the process by which having the Delta AMX card enters the search? I am GOLD and have a Plat. Delta AMX card, but I thought that the card only enters the picture at the end of the process if I'm paying taxes, fees, etc. for an award ticket.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.