Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Your Input is Requested: How to Improve the Tone of the Delta SkyMiles Forum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your Input is Requested: How to Improve the Tone of the Delta SkyMiles Forum

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:47 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

Arrow Your Input is Requested: How to Improve the Tone of the Delta SkyMiles Forum

Although it basically is not news to me, I did not like reading this quote:
Originally Posted by MastaHanky
The Delta forum is pretty hostile these days and I rarely go there.
If MastaHanky believes this, then it is certainly possible that other FlyerTalk members feel similarly — and, in fact, I personally know of at least a dozen FlyerTalk members who either rarely post to the Delta SkyMiles forum anymore or avoid posting to it altogether.

What can we do as a community to improve the dialogue on the Delta SkyMiles forum so that it is friendlier and more helpful without affecting the quality of the information posted?

Please post your suggestions here — or, better yet, resolve to be more helpful and civil to fellow FlyerTalk members whenever posting to the Delta SkyMiles forum here on FlyerTalk.

Thank you in advance.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Hold the fanbois & snobs in check. You've basically let them take over the forum.

It used to be a place where you could ask questions about the airline or its loyalty program and work together to get the most out of either.

An honest criticism today gets whacked by the fanbois, an honest question by the "if-you-want-first-buy-first" crowd.

If the current 'tude were what I faced when I first joined 8 years ago, I doubt I ever would have waded in here.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 1:18 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Hold the fanbois & snobs in check. You've basically let them take over the forum.
Agreed. ^
Old Sep 13, 2012, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I believe much of the hostility is because of serious issues with DL themselves.

Like a wound festering, but never getting medical attention, it's only getting worse. I don't see how FT members can do much about it, as DL seems dead set in their ways.

Many changes over the last 4 years have been sneak attacks. No notification. Almost always detrimental to the long time DL flyer. Their award calendar problems are ongoing. Huge award increases in Asia. Official representation that often spouts PR nonsense, hit and run mode. It only brings more frustration and snarkiness to the forum.

There are problems on every US airline forum I read (UA and AA). People are unhappy with changes. I think DL is the worst, as the unhappiness with the DL FF program seems to be rising with every change. Unless DL changes, I only see it going in one direction.

I think the DL mods do a fine job.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 1:36 am

Programs: AS, SQ, SPG, IHG
I think MikeMpls hit it spot on. ^

In addition, I'll say a few more things:

I think there are several people who wish to build forum personas as Delta cheerleaders, LUT scoffers, SkyMiles soothsayers--the list goes on. It seems as if posters are getting increasingly one-note around here.

Also, many people take this forum extremely seriously. That's fine. I wouldn't be here if I didn't want to have the best possible experience with the flying that I do, and I'll share my knowledge and experiences whenever I can. However, I think we should all remember to just relax once in a while. Chill out. Take a breather. Drink Woodford. There's more to life than Z not opening up on your next flight to NRT.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 2:53 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I believe much of the hostility is because of serious issues with DL themselves.

Like a wound festering, but never getting medical attention, it's only getting worse. I don't see how FT members can do much about it, as DL seems dead set in their ways.

Many changes over the last 4 years have been sneak attacks. No notification. Almost always detrimental to the long time DL flyer. Their award calendar problems are ongoing. Huge award increases in Asia. Official representation that often spouts PR nonsense, hit and run mode. It only brings more frustration and snarkiness to the forum.

There are problems on every US airline forum I read (UA and AA). People are unhappy with changes. I think DL is the worst, as the unhappiness with the DL FF program seems to be rising with every change. Unless DL changes, I only see it going in one direction.

I think the DL mods do a fine job.
If it were a multiple choice test, I'd agree most with the tone of this one. My flying will be more discretionary next year and I plan on scaling back considerably due to the nature of flying these days. DL will get less of my money and AMEX/DL will get less of my spending. It's time to jump off of the treadmill to the top of the Diamond heap. I'll settle for Gold and will be happier for it.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 2:57 am

Programs: WN peon (was A+), IHG Plat Hilton HHonors Gold DL SkyPesos PM (still a peon) US Chmn, Hawaiian Haole
Originally Posted by obnoxoid
I think MikeMpls hit it spot on. ^

In addition, I'll say a few more things:

I think there are several people who wish to build forum personas as Delta cheerleaders, LUT scoffers, SkyMiles soothsayers--the list goes on. It seems as if posters are getting increasingly one-note around here.

Also, many people take this forum extremely seriously. That's fine. I wouldn't be here if I didn't want to have the best possible experience with the flying that I do, and I'll share my knowledge and experiences whenever I can. However, I think we should all remember to just relax once in a while. Chill out. Take a breather. Drink Woodford. There's more to life than Z not opening up on your next flight to NRT.
Double spot-on, especially the point about 'personas'.

On the positive side of this issue, I would like to compliment MSPeconomist, who manages to keep herself on the high road while posting accurate and useful DL information.

FWIW, the Southwest forum maintains a much more pleasant and user-friendly atmosphere.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 4:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM (FO soon), A3 Gold, TK Classic Plus, SPG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by MikeMpls

It used to be a place where you could ask questions about the airline or its loyalty program and work together to get the most out of either.

An honest criticism today gets whacked by the fanbois, an honest question by the "if-you-want-first-buy-first" crowd.

If the current 'tude were what I faced when I first joined 8 years ago, I doubt I ever would have waded in here.
There's the combination of that, along with the crowd that comes solely to complain/vent about skymiles, with zero interest in learning or in actually getting value out of the program. They just want to complain.

There's also the anti-DL group generated by all of the stealth devaluations. Some are fair and reasonable in their approach, others hyperbolic. While many have honest criticisms, there's also a lot of ridiculous exaggeration. This is where Jamito's side of things comes in - people with legitimate complaints getting worn down, bitter, and moving into exaggeration mode.

With the way the anti-DL group acts, it's hardly surprising that DL's communication has gone more and more toward hit-and-run PR.

There's one-note posting from all sides. Sounds like US politics.

Everything feeds off of everything else. I don't have a solution, and generally favor hands-off management when possible.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 5:04 am

Programs: DL GM/MM
The continual droning from former NW flyers who fail to realize NW is no more and continually compare DL to the fabled and infallible glory of NW.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Create sub forums a la TS&S - DL practical advise and DL policy debate.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 5:35 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
IMHO too often threads get sidetracked and begin a never ending downward spiral, completely unrelated to the original topic. Case in point: the recent Chick-Fil-A closing/moving/reopening in ATL thread quickly turned into discussions about tolerance and various political/social views. The thread was about an eating establishment moving, and it turned into an opportunity for certain folks to trumpet their social views. Give me a break. If you want to complain about CFA, and I understand many do, start a new thread in another forum and have at it.

I will also say that perhaps the forum search capability could be improved to reduce the number of redundant threads that appear almost daily.

Thanks for asking for input, BTW.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Encouraging folks to use the search function (I know google works better than the FT search) and the stickies before creating another thread on a frequently discussed topic.

At the same time FT veterans need to be somewhat tolerant of Newbs as well. We all started learning about the FF world at different points, have varied experiences, and something to bring to the community. We all have our moments, but incessant complaining and such regardless of the thread topic can get old.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 6:22 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by DLdweeb
I will also say that perhaps the forum search capability could be improved to reduce the number of redundant threads that appear almost daily.
I do think some of the hostility that's not directed toward DL comes because of people who haven't searched properly. Unfortunately, not everyone knows that those "too short" search strings can be made long enough with quotation marks, for instance. I've always thought the BA forum's dashboard thread is a model for what the DL forum needs. rwoman has done a nice job of creating some consolidated threads on subjects that frequently arise, but I think it should be taken a step farther to a "START HERE" thread. With something like that, offering a series of menus for people to select from to find the right thread addressing their problem (in which they'll find their question already asked and answered or be able to ask their question), the forum will become more useful for many. I'd be willing to help develop a new thread on award booking help, since Denolloyd's thread now has the useful information scattered throughout, and I think we need a first post that contains the key information on routing rules, strengths and weaknesses of various search options, link to the blackout dates thread (and can we please keep it to ONE blackout date thread/post rather than a new one every year?), what we know about fuel surcharges, etc. I've avoided starting into such a project on my own out of fear of FBATR, but it looks like we might have enough time to develop such a resource and have it be useful for people before FBATR arrives (if it is coming).
Old Sep 13, 2012, 6:25 am
Suspended

I Like It The Way It Is

Originally Posted by Canarsie
Although it basically is not news to me, I did not like reading this quote:If MastaHanky believes this, then it is certainly possible that other FlyerTalk members feel similarly — and, in fact, I personally know of at least a dozen FlyerTalk members who either rarely post to the Delta SkyMiles forum anymore or avoid posting to it altogether.

What can we do as a community to improve the dialogue on the Delta SkyMiles forum so that it is friendlier and more helpful without affecting the quality of the information posted?

Please post your suggestions here — or, better yet, resolve to be more helpful and civil to fellow FlyerTalk members whenever posting to the Delta SkyMiles forum here on FlyerTalk.

Thank you in advance.
Actually, I like it the way it is. Some are so funny; much is helpful. The best part is putting down people who are so full of themselves. Keep in mind that reading the DL forum is not for everyone.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 6:32 am

Programs: DL - KM DM, DL 1.57 MM, UA - 1P, AA - EXP HH - Diamond, PC - Platinum, SPG - Gold, Hertz 5*
Step back for a moment.

Take a breath.

RELAX.

Reflect on what you are about to say instead of merely reacting.

Be civil.

Treat others with respect regardless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.