Gold Amex Gives Sky Priority?

Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards Plat, HHonors Gold, Hertz Prez. Circle
I figured I would update y'all......
I called AmEx again (in regards to another issue) and happened to ask about this. The agent said there are NO plans to offer SP to Gold and Plat AmEx holders as this would take away benefits from their Reserve CC holders, she said this is one of the major differences between the Reserve and the Gold/Plat cards (the others being SC and MQM earning).

After hearing this (and considering the mess SP would be if all DL AmEx holders had access to it) I highly doubt this is happening. Probably another DL IT glitch.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:08 am

Programs: Delta GM, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ekiserj
I figured I would update y'all......
I called AmEx again (in regards to another issue) and happened to ask about this. The agent said there are NO plans to offer SP to Gold and Plat AmEx holders as this would take away benefits from their Reserve CC holders, she said this is one of the major differences between the Reserve and the Gold/Plat cards (the others being SC and MQM earning).

After hearing this (and considering the mess SP would be if all DL AmEx holders had access to it) I highly doubt this is happening. Probably another DL IT glitch.
Thanks for sharing. Can someone show me where on Delta or AMEX's website does it say that Reserve CC holders get the SP benefit? Can't seem to find that wording anywhere.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:09 pm

Programs: HA premier club, Platinum Amex, DL SM and reserve, United Mileage Plus Club
I am curious as a Delta Reserve cardmember because my BP didn't state SP but rather expedite. When I was at MSP on Sunday the agent at the SP side didn't even let me go through there, she said the line for "everyone other than GM, DM and PM is back there" Needless to say it shouldn't be advertised if we are not going to get it. Anyone have any idea as to what that Expedite meant?
Old Sep 12, 2012, 3:48 am

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Hertzfan
I am curious as a Delta Reserve cardmember because my BP didn't state SP but rather expedite. When I was at MSP on Sunday the agent at the SP side didn't even let me go through there, she said the line for "everyone other than GM, DM and PM is back there" Needless to say it shouldn't be advertised if we are not going to get it. Anyone have any idea as to what that Expedite meant?
SP is only for First/Biz pax (including those upgraded) and DM/PM/GMs. If you have a Reserve AMEX, you get Expedite to use expedited security lanes, but not the full Sky Prioirty suite of services (SP check-in, SP boarding, etc).
Old Sep 12, 2012, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
I am curious as a Delta Reserve cardmember because my BP didn't state SP but rather expedite. When I was at MSP on Sunday the agent at the SP side didn't even let me go through there, she said the line for "everyone other than GM, DM and PM is back there"
Which "there"? Yesterday, the entry for SP was the same as the entry for Pre, and just saying "Pre" got someone in.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 7:42 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, CX GO, Hilton Honors Diamond
Honestly as far as boarding goes I do not see it as much of a benefit. You habe people with assistance who board first, then FC and BE passengers, in Premium, the zone sky, then zone 1, that right there includes about 90% of the peolple boarding, so your waiting line regardless.

This is only the case IF the GA enforce the boarding zone rule, which can be hit or miss. In NRT, they are reallyanal about it, and will turn people away who are not boardingin their respective zones, at JFK, its hit ot miss. HAd some gy in front of in zone 2 be let to board in front me in the SP when they called for all FC passengers to board, they let him go right through.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:02 am

Programs: HA premier club, Platinum Amex, DL SM and reserve, United Mileage Plus Club
Originally Posted by amolkold
SP is only for First/Biz pax (including those upgraded) and DM/PM/GMs. If you have a Reserve AMEX, you get Expedite to use expedited security lanes, but not the full Sky Prioirty suite of services (SP check-in, SP boarding, etc).
Yet, there are some on this thread stating they got sky priority as a plat amex cardholder. To me it doesn't make a difference since I don't usually fly out of a Delta hub but I was just curious.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 5:45 pm

Programs: Mile-High Club, Marriott Plt, SPG P-75, PC Plt, Hyatt Dia, Carlson Gold, BW Dia
Just the other day I overheard one of those know-it-all types trying to impress her fanny-packed travel buddies (probably enroute to Branson or a Sandals resort together) with the explanation that her DL Gold Amex would let them board with Sky Priority, "...so let's get ahead of all these other people standing around..." Of course, as they muscled their way through the ring of gate lice and into position just a couple of feet from the blue rug, the first class boarding began, requiring those seated in F to negotiate the Stonehenge of grossly oversized roll-aboards that these amateur travelers didn't fully know how to maneuver.

Then when Sky Priority was called, they pounced quickly, only to be turned away by the GA who correctly looked at their BPs and told them that they were in Zone 1. Well, this lady got indignant and began explaining (in a loud tone) to the GA that the Gold AMEX gave her and her companions Sky Priority Boarding. The GA said something like, "Sorry, take it up with AMEX." so the lady continued to kvetch in that self-directed, yet loud enough to be clearly overheard, mumbling sort of way.

As I boarded in Sky Priority and passed this lady (who refused to move away from the boarding alley), I heard her whinge to anyone who could overhear, "B-b-but I'm supposed to get Sky Priority by having the AMEX card!" I replied simply, "No, you get Sky Priority by flying, dumbass."
Old Nov 14, 2012, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Jazzop
Just the other day I overheard one of those know-it-all types trying to impress her fanny-packed travel buddies (probably enroute to Branson or a Sandals resort together) with the explanation that her DL Gold Amex would let them board with Sky Priority, "...so let's get ahead of all these other people standing around..." Of course, as they muscled their way through the ring of gate lice and into position just a couple of feet from the blue rug, the first class boarding began, requiring those seated in F to negotiate the Stonehenge of grossly oversized roll-aboards that these amateur travelers didn't fully know how to maneuver.

Then when Sky Priority was called, they pounced quickly, only to be turned away by the GA who correctly looked at their BPs and told them that they were in Zone 1. Well, this lady got indignant and began explaining (in a loud tone) to the GA that the Gold AMEX gave her and her companions Sky Priority Boarding. The GA said something like, "Sorry, take it up with AMEX." so the lady continued to kvetch in that self-directed, yet loud enough to be clearly overheard, mumbling sort of way.

As I boarded in Sky Priority and passed this lady (who refused to move away from the boarding alley), I heard her whinge to anyone who could overhear, "B-b-but I'm supposed to get Sky Priority by having the AMEX card!" I replied simply, "No, you get Sky Priority by flying, dumbass."
^ to your response. I wonder if it was lizbeth
Old Nov 14, 2012, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
As a DL PM, I will hate to see it happen at DTW since it seems like everyone there has a Delta Am Ex card and there isn't a separate lane for TSA precheck (it wouldn't be bad at places like LAS and LAX where there is a different line for prechecks).

If this does turn out to be the case then it wouldn't surprise me if American and United follow and start offering that benefit to their cardholders. When one airline started offering free checked bags on their card all the other airlines followed very shortly. Same when Delta started allowing credit card holders to board in zone 1, soon the othert airlines followed.
United already offers Premier access to United Club card holders and priority baggage handling and security line. Delta would only be following suit.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by amolkold
Ironically now I am a Silver medallion and get Sky priority for check in and the security line. It even says Sky priority on my ebp. I don't know if that is because of the combo between the reserve card and my status or because of something new with the reserve card that they will soon implement.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:40 pm

^
Originally Posted by Jazzop

Glad you told her!!
Old Nov 15, 2012, 3:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
United already offers Premier access to United Club card holders and priority baggage handling and security line. Delta would only be following suit.
I believe that the United Club card is a special credit card with a higher fee than the base UA affiliated cards. It gives access to UA lounges, among other privileges.

In contrast, the Gold DL AmEx card is a base-level card that doesn't have much if any anual fee. A closer analogue to the United Club card would be the DL Reserve card.

The problem is that when AmEx airport hawkers and FAs try to "sell" DL AmEx cards, they over promise, either deliberately to earn commissions from accepted applications or out of ignorance and not bothering to study the fine print. DL further confuses the issue by creating boarding zones before zone 1. It's marketing to make everyone feel important and like they have high priority. DL Gold AmEx boards with "zone one" which is really at least the third zone.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 8:02 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Interesting... on the application page for the Amex cards, it now says "Cardmembers are entitled to receive Zone 2 priority boarding on Delta flights."
Old Nov 15, 2012, 8:46 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CTJoyce
I am a FO and Plat Delta Amex holder and I can say that this isn't a new thing. I too was shocked the first time I saw it and it only shows up on my eBPs, never on any printed boarding passes. I don't complain though, being able to use the SP lane at LGA or JFK saves me a whole bunch of time at security, and when it comes to the gate I just board with Zone 1 because honestly I don't need that extra 2 minutes that the Zone SKY members get. And as far as getting SP tags on my checked luggage it seems to be a 50/50. For instance I flew ROC-BOS this weekend and didn't get SP tags, however flying from BOS-JFK I was tagged SP, and then flying LGA - ROC on Tuesday my bag was once again tagged SP.

It isn't something I expect or demand, however it is always nice to see that red banner when I pull up my eBP and it definitely helps keep my business even at a low elite level.
I flew a MSP-ATL r/t to catch the Champions Classic and visit a buddy over the weekend. I have the Delta Gold Amex but no medallion status (until now, the return pushed me to FO). MSP-ATL, eBP (issued before the Delta.com changeover) had the red SKY PRIORITY banner. ATL-MSP, eBP (issued after the Delta.com changeover) no longer had the banner. So, it would appear this little back door to the Sky Priority lane has been closed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.