Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Anyone flown ST partner Air Europa in J recently?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2012, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND

Hi all. Has anyone flown Air Europa long-haul J recently? I had no choice this time because UX was the only DL partner that had a J award seat for the low 100K reward for my specific travel dates, but I'm a bit nervous about it. Please share your thoughts. There appears to be very limited information about the new UX J long-haul product, which according to seat maps should be available on the JFK market. Thanks.

Last edited by fly747first; Aug 10, 2012 at 9:30 am
Old Aug 9, 2012, 10:44 pm

Programs: Delta, Avios, Chase
I have not, but a blogger that I enjoy reading has reviewed Air Europa in the past (and he is a contributing member to FT): http://thepointsguy.com/2011/07/air-...ions-were-met/
Old Aug 9, 2012, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dgxoxo
I have not, but a blogger that I enjoy reading has reviewed Air Europa in the past (and he is a contributing member to FT): http://thepointsguy.com/2011/07/air-...ions-were-met/
Thanks! I had actually found the same report, but UX has a new J class with flat beds now (A330-200s went from 24 J/4 rows to 18 J/3 rows) and the problem is that there seems to be no reports on the new hard product.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 1:10 am

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Some reviews here but no recent long-haul J: http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/air_europa.htm

Overall, it sounds pretty grim.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 4:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Award seats seem plentiful on UX on JFKMAD but the YQ is shockingly high.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Lots of posts are returned when using 'europa' as an advanced search term constrained to the last year. The posts aren't uniformly flattering of the UX flight experience, but that's no excuse for failure to search by a long-time FTer - it disrespects the efforts many have made to post about their experiences.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 6:41 am

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Lots of posts are returned when using 'europa' as an advanced search term constrained to the last year. The posts aren't uniformly flattering of the UX flight experience, but that's no excuse for failure to search by a long-time FTer - it disrespects the efforts many have made to post about their experiences.
But now that there is another thread on the topic, this thread will be among the first results if one tries the correct keywords. I have found, personally, that searching the DL forums results in having to look through MANY threads bashing the OP for not searching, yet contain no meaningful content or links.

Perhaps we could start posting links to the best threads instead of just bashing the OP for not searching so that future searches on the topic will be more productive?
Old Aug 10, 2012, 6:48 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
When was the new J product introduced? I was on a long haul UX flight a few months ago and the cabin was still the same, 4 rows/24 seats. I am also booked on another UX flight in November, and my flight still shows the old J configuration, perhaps the A330 with the new configuration doesn't fly my route. Still, don't get your expectations high in terms of soft product.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 7:13 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Alitalia had one of the worst J productscfor a while. They refurbed their 777s and A330s, and have gotten great reviews on seats and service. Perhaps UX is the same. I could see how having a run down and dilapidated cabin could rub off on the FAs, and a brand new top of the line cabin might inspire them to up their level of service.

All this is speculation though, but if you take the plunge and come back with a trip report then we can all know whether it's improved or not

Edit: I found a press release from Jun that said they were only modifying 2 of their a330s. Doesn't sound promising for being on the new product. It's being done by AF/KLM so I figure it will be the newer angled lie flats that are on the AF a380?

Edit2: looks like the seat map can indicate which product you'll have
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...330-200-a.html

Last edited by roknroll; Aug 10, 2012 at 7:27 am
Old Aug 10, 2012, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by roknroll
Alitalia had one of the worst J productscfor a while. They refurbed their 777s and A330s, and have gotten great reviews on seats and service. Perhaps UX is the same. I could see how having a run down and dilapidated cabin could rub off on the FAs, and a brand new top of the line cabin might inspire them to up their level of service.

All this is speculation though, but if you take the plunge and come back with a trip report then we can all know whether it's improved or not

Edit: I found a press release from Jun that said they were only modifying 2 of their a330s. Doesn't sound promising for being on the new product. It's being done by AF/KLM so I figure it will be the newer angled lie flats that are on the AF a380?

Edit2: looks like the seat map can indicate which product you'll have
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...330-200-a.html
My JFK MAD flight shows 3 rows in J. I also looked on youtube and found a very short video showing that the new 3-row J cabin is located between doors 1L/1R and 2L/2R so that's sufficient space for full flat beds (e.g., when LX had A330-200s, F had full flat beds in 3 rows in the same space) since it seems UX not only changed the seats but also removed one row to allow greater recline.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mizzou miles
Award seats seem plentiful on UX on JFKMAD but the YQ is shockingly high.
Really? My itinerary includes both UX and AZ and I thought the large YQ surcharge was coming from AZ, not UX.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Per my post last night at 12:47 a.m, there are no solid reports on the new UX J product, so please have the courtesy to not write anything if you are overly tempted to engage in rude and surly behavior that certainly isn't useful to anyone. Thanks.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 9:38 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by fly747first
Really? My itinerary includes both UX and AZ and I thought the large YQ surcharge was coming from AZ, not UX.
There shouldn't be YQ collected for AZ on itineraries originating outside Europe, so it likely is UX.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mtkeller
There shouldn't be YQ collected for AZ on itineraries originating outside Europe, so it likely is UX.
In my itinerary, the only leg operated by AZ is MXP-JFK. The DL reservation agents weren't sure about which carrier was charging the high YQ. The O&D of the ticket is FLL-CDG-FLL.

Last edited by fly747first; Aug 10, 2012 at 11:19 am
Old Aug 10, 2012, 11:32 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by fly747first
In my itinerary, the only leg operated by AZ is MXP-JFK. The DL reservation agents weren't sure about which carrier was charging the high YQ. The O&D of the ticket is FLL-CDG-FLL.
What's the full routing and class of service?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.