Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MEM Mayor Meets with Delta CEO

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2012, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Gold Elite, former multi-year Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
MEM Mayor Meets with Delta CEO

There's an interesting article in today's Memphis paper:

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...artner=popular

Two things stand out to me: (1) Mayor Wharton says he will be able to say more "in a few weeks." I wonder what announcement Delta and/or MEM will be making in a few weeks. (2) Apparently Richard Anderson told Wharton that MEM will become more profitable when the CR2s are replaced by 717s. I suspect having 717s would also make people more likely to connect through MEM. (Would 717s count as "mainline" aircraft?)
Old Jul 5, 2012, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by youngdlplat
There's an interesting article in today's Memphis paper:

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...artner=popular

Two things stand out to me: (1) Mayor Wharton says he will be able to say more "in a few weeks." I wonder what announcement Delta and/or MEM will be making in a few weeks. (2) Apparently Richard Anderson told Wharton that MEM will become more profitable when the CR2s are replaced by 717s. I suspect having 717s would also make people more likely to connect through MEM. (Would 717s count as "mainline" aircraft?)
Yes, 717s are mainline, but when you replace 50-seat aircraft with 100-seat aircraft in a marginal market, you're going to see even fewer frequencies.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 7:26 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Let's hope he's flying Air Tran to save the taxpayers some money.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 7:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by youngdlplat
I wonder what announcement Delta and/or MEM will be making in a few weeks.
Probably that Delta is establishing a new, super, elite Medallion status that is available only to MEM mayors.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 8:00 am

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Originally Posted by Dovster
Probably that Delta is establishing a new, super, elite Medallion status that is available only to MEM mayors.
Elvis Medallion? He'll get a white card with gold & silver studs and even a tiny cape! When not in use, the card fits nicely into a custom belt buckle.

Old Jul 5, 2012, 8:07 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Oh wow, what is the mayor trying to do? The residents of Memphis and the Memphis media have treated Delta horribly. Delta has every reason in the world to tell them to piss off. The mayor needs to focus on reducing the cities crime rate seeing as it is in the top five most dangerous cities in the nation. Typical Memphis politics....I see not much has changed since I left that place.
  • Delta just eliminated 25 more flights
  • Only 23 flights on Saturday starting this fall
  • Delta no longer has any pilot base at MEM
  • Pinnacle is in Bankruptcy and facing harsh times with labor
  • MEM has weak O/D

Time to face reality...
Old Jul 5, 2012, 8:21 am

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Oh wow, what is the mayor trying to do? The residents of Memphis and the Memphis media have treated Delta horribly. Delta has every reason in the world to tell them to piss off. The mayor needs to focus on reducing the cities crime rate seeing as it is in the top five most dangerous cities in the nation. Typical Memphis politics....I see not much has changed since I left that place.
  • Delta just eliminated 25 more flights
  • Only 23 flights on Saturday starting this fall
  • Delta no longer has any pilot base at MEM
  • Pinnacle is in Bankruptcy and facing harsh times with labor
  • MEM has weak O/D

Time to face reality...
You keep saying this. What do you mean? A few people complaining on Facebook? The powers that be around here have been absolutely grovelling at Delta's feet so they wouldn't close the hub down. As a mid sized city, it has been nice over the last twenty or so years to have a decent sized hub in our city. The flipside of that is that we have been paying exorbitant fares which discourage O and D traffic especially considering that Memphis is not a rich city. Also don't forget that Delta lied during the merger about downsizing the CVG and MEM hubs so that they could get approval.

I for one will welcome the 717's. Anything is better than the CRJ 200's. Those things are a flying torture chamber.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 8:31 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Perhaps the Mayor would be most productive by taking a trip to Dallas instead.

MEM had a good run with Northwest but better to focus on the future and not the past.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by hazelrah

MEM had a good run with Northwest but better to focus on the future and not the past.
What would MEM gain by talking to WN? Service to even fewer cities, less F seats for business travelers, and no hope for being a focus city.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by ssk1127
What would MEM gain by talking to WN? Service to even fewer cities, less F seats for business travelers, and no hope for being a focus city.
MEM's days are numbered anyway IMO. In the future it will just have service to Delta hubs.

Service to Southwest cities (ATL, MDW, DEN, BWI, DAL, etc. ) would be as good as it gets.

Last edited by hazelrah; Jul 5, 2012 at 9:13 am
Old Jul 5, 2012, 8:59 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Valveking
You keep saying this. What do you mean? A few people complaining on Facebook?

I for one will welcome the 717's. Anything is better than the CRJ 200's. Those things are a flying torture chamber.
Yes, and not just a few people. There was a Facebook GROUP created for Memphians to hate Delta. Not to mention most all of the media reports seem to have been written with a bias against Delta.

As far as the 717 goes I can only imagine it's role in MEM will be for flights to the hubs and perhaps maybe a daily flight to LGA and MCO.

Originally Posted by hazelrah

^ Exactly. The airport authority should try attracting some LCC service. Spirit seems like a good fit...
Old Jul 5, 2012, 9:06 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by BearX220
Yes, 717s are mainline, but when you replace 50-seat aircraft with 100-seat aircraft in a marginal market, you're going to see even fewer frequencies.
Fine by me. CR2s (and CR1s) are the worst aircraft in the fleet.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Yes, and not just a few people. There was a Facebook GROUP created for Memphians to hate Delta. Not to mention most all of the media reports seem to have been written with a bias against Delta....
You seem to want to make this somehow personal. I don't think it's personal it's just Delta business.

In consolidation why did Delta need CVG as a midwest hub when DTW is a far superior midwest hub? Why does Delta need MEM when ATL is THE southeast hub? Now that Northwest is assimiliated these respective hubs raison d'etre has dissapeared.

Last edited by hazelrah; Jul 5, 2012 at 10:20 am
Old Jul 5, 2012, 9:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ssk1127
Domestic flying isn't driven by "F seats for business travelers." Frequency and low fares are want the people paying for business travel want.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 10:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
Domestic flying isn't driven by "F seats for business travelers." Frequency and low fares are want the people paying for business travel want.
I will agree with frequency and some degree to low fares but WN really doesn't cater to a business traveler. Every quarter when US airlines post their results, the sucessful legacies usually report that it was due to business traffic. Business travel provides a very high percentage of revenue for airlines. Flying to BNA, DAL, MDW, DEN and BWI (if they did that) would really not offset the fact that the business traveler and road warrior wants nonstops to the big cities, guaranteed seating and service to remote or international markets in many cases. WN does not fit a business traveler unless you are only flying short flights from WN focus cities. I mean who really wants to do a double connect to get from MEM to SFO if they are traveling on business. Add to it lack of wifi, power and IFE and I think you have your recipe for a 1980s leisure market...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.