TSA Precheck Success Rate Discrepancy

Old Jun 30, 2012, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM (since inception), UA GS 2019, Marriott Plat Premier Ambassador
TSA Precheck Success Rate Discrepancy

I'm finding it interesting to see when I clear the TSA pre-check and when I don't based on the "random" TSA screening logic. I never seem to get it in ATL but have a great experience everywhere else. Would be curious to see if others have the same experience.

MSP: 15 for 17
DCA: 4 for 5
DTW: 1 for 1
ATL: 0 for 6!

I typically book my flights at least 7 days out so don't think that there's anything goofy going on with missing the Delta-TSA feed window. Weigh in with what your experience is. For reference I'm Diamond.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 11:54 am

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
You'll find lots of posts about Precheck success rates in this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...pre-check.html
Old Jun 30, 2012, 12:39 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Mods probably will merge this with the other thread but the answer is everyone is different. No apparent logic, no method to their madness. For example, I have always been successful at ATL while you are 0 for 6.

Actually only missed a couple times since last year but one was interesting, a new data point. Standing in PreCheck line at LAS with about a dozen pax in front of me. No one cleared for PreCheck. Asked the TSO if PreCheck was down, he responded that it was working but no one on my flt qualified. Never heard that before. Don't know if it was because of some special pax or whatever but sure enough, a guy a few pax behind me cleared.

Bottom line is it works better for some than others. I guess that is the "randomness" that TSA is looking for.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 10:06 am

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards, Hertz #1 Gold
I thought that being a "known traveller" would improve my odds (I have NEXUS/GE) but that doesn't seem to be the case.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 11:18 am

Programs: AA, WN & many Hotels... avoids UA like the plague!
Originally Posted by KodiakMN
I'm finding it interesting to see when I clear the TSA pre-check and when I don't based on the "random" TSA screening logic. I never seem to get it in ATL but have a great experience everywhere else. Would be curious to see if others have the same experience.

MSP: 15 for 17
DCA: 4 for 5
DTW: 1 for 1
ATL: 0 for 6!

I typically book my flights at least 7 days out so don't think that there's anything goofy going on with missing the Delta-TSA feed window. Weigh in with what your experience is. For reference I'm Diamond.
FWIW, when upgraded and PRE available have been 100%

Also FWIW, if you want to experience two different extremes, if PRE in MSP go through the PRE line (very positive and professional) vs. going through the G/C connector screening station on east end of parking. Unless pressed for time, will go out of way to go to main terminal for PRE vs. going through the joke of a checkpoint at the connector even if it means back-tracking through terminal to C or G gates.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 3:29 pm

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by hooverer
FWIW, when upgraded and PRE available have been 100%

Also FWIW, if you want to experience two different extremes, if PRE in MSP go through the PRE line (very positive and professional) vs. going through the G/C connector screening station on east end of parking. Unless pressed for time, will go out of way to go to main terminal for PRE vs. going through the joke of a checkpoint at the connector even if it means back-tracking through terminal to C or G gates.
I just did the same - I avoided the G gates security checkpoint after returning the rental car to go all the way to the terminal so I could get pre check. I always opt out so it's worth not having to worry about being groped.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 5:52 pm

Programs: MR: PLAT; NW: PLAT
1for 12@ DTWZRH
Old Jul 2, 2012, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
I'm 100%, getting really use to it so I'll be really bummed if it starts to decline
Old Jul 2, 2012, 5:28 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by socrates
I'm 100%, getting really use to it so I'll be really bummed if it starts to decline
Same experience here...
Old Jul 2, 2012, 5:40 am

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Maybe my percentage is so low with GE because they are confusing my FT handle (dcline414) with decline, and thus not giving me the triple beep!
Old Jul 2, 2012, 6:38 am

Programs: DL ♦, Marriot Plt, NATL EE
I'm currently 0 for 18 at DCA but hitting almost 100% on other Pre stations.

YMMV
Old Jul 2, 2012, 6:40 am

Programs: DL DM, AA Platinum (Life), Emirates Gold,GHA Black
100% ATL LAS LAX JFK in 18 months
Old Mar 21, 2013, 7:08 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
Wrong forum

Last edited by carsnoceans; Mar 21, 2013 at 7:20 pm Reason: Typing on phone
Old Mar 21, 2013, 7:09 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
Wrong forum.

Last edited by carsnoceans; Mar 21, 2013 at 7:20 pm
Old Mar 21, 2013, 7:26 pm

Programs: Variety of rectangular cards with my name on it
Same. out of every airport that has had precheck. Only time it didnt ring was when I was on AS operated and DL marketed flight but im sure my known traveler number didnt transfer over

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.