Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

No time for beverage service, but time to walk aisle selling Amex

Old Jun 6, 2012, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exe Platinum, AA & Delta Million Miler, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, United Silver

I was in FC on CHS-ATL this morning which is a short flight, +/-40minutes. We had a little turbulence on the way up, but then got the announcement that due to the short flight, there would be no beverage snack service. I was sitting in FC and there was no beverage or snack service in either cabin.
Yet, they still had time to make a lengthy Amex announcement and then walk the aisle with Amex brochures. I don't know why, but this agitates me. Shouldn't there be some sense or priority towards customer service, what little remains? And as far as announcements go, there are way too many of them per flight too, IMHO.
Anyone else's thoughts?

Last edited by lrbenko; Jun 6, 2012 at 6:34 pm
Old Jun 6, 2012, 3:04 pm

Programs: PC: Platinum, DL: PM, National: Exec
This happened to me recently too, but 1st did get beverages... barely
Old Jun 6, 2012, 3:24 pm
mpp

I would have help up my hand and said "I'll take an application...and a Woodford"
Old Jun 6, 2012, 4:00 pm

Programs: Ham Sandwich Medallion
DL doesn't get a cut of your Coke. They do, however, get a cut of your Amex dollars. Guess which they're going to place a higher priority on...
Old Jun 6, 2012, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exe Platinum, AA & Delta Million Miler, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, United Silver
Originally Posted by T.J. Bender
DL doesn't get a cut of your Coke. They do, however, get a cut of your Amex dollars. Guess which they're going to place a higher priority on...
I think thats it exactly.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 4:21 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
DL doesn't get a cut of your Coke.
Well, they sorta do, in the form of cocktail napkin advertisements.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Not only DL, but the flight attendants. They get paid extra for AmEx applications, but not for PDBs. It is only reasonable to assume people will act as they are incentivized to do.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 4:23 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Dia, Avis Pres Club
I fly that route a lot in the winter. Even in good weather many non ATL based crews do not do any service in coach, while I think the ATL based crews take it as pride to serve the coach section. The LAX crews often don't do service in F.

As another poster said, the FAs get something for an approved App.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Singleflyer
I fly that route a lot in the winter. Even in good weather many non ATL based crews do not do any service in coach, while I think the ATL based crews take it as pride to serve the coach section. The LAX crews often don't do service in F.

As another poster said, the FAs get something for an approved App.
I could see coach not getting service due to the flight duration, but I was in First. No beverage or snack in first in leau of Amex just doesn't seem right.
P.S., I hope you enjoy your trips to CHS. I'd be happy to point you to some local places to eat, attractions, pubs, etc.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 4:35 pm

Programs: DL MM Gold
An email is probably worth 5-7000 pesos for that level of disrespect.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 4:45 pm

Programs: DL FO
I think there is way too much talking on the planes too. Sit down, shut up, and let us enjoy our flights in peace. I believe that some of these FA's just love to hear themselves speak a lot.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 4:50 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by lrbenko
I was on CHS-ATL this morning which is a short flight, +/-40minutes. We had a little turbulence on the way up, but then got the announcement that due to the short flight, there would be no beverage snack service.
IME this is standard on the DTW-ORD route. Quick snack/drink in F but no service in Y, however they never fail to make the AmEx announcement prior to final departure and walk through with applications while checking seatbacks, seatbelts, and tray tables.

FWIW, there really isn't enough time to serve drinks in Y on this route and then collect the service items before landing. The announcement is made when the seatbelt sign is turned on during initial approach, and the applications are offered during the required safety walk.

I'm not a big DL AmEx fan (as you can tell by my signature), but in this case I think the offering is neither obtrusive, nor excessive. The lack of beverage service in Y is understandable, but in no way related to the AmEx pitch.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by dcline414
IME this is standard on the DTW-ORD route. Quick snack/drink in F but no service in Y, however they never fail to make the AmEx announcement prior to final departure and walk through with applications while checking seatbacks, seatbelts, and tray tables.
This is standard. No beverage service in Y on flights under 250 miles.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 5:23 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by javabytes
Okay, so not just my experience... The rest of my post still holds though.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 5:26 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
Originally Posted by javabytes
Yet LUV can do it

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.