Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Fat, Gristle and Hair: DL catering hits rock bottom

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2012, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist

Yeah, yeah I know it's upgrade class but today's 2254 SFO-DTW hit a new low. OK, my bad, made the mistake of taking the beef salad instead of the pizza. The most disgusting slices of "beef" I've seen in ages. And the potato salad was as bad, tasteless and inedible as it was 4 months ago. Seriously, does anyone actually test this crap before they decide to put it into rotation?

And today's bonus from SFO catering.

The only edible part of this meal was the Dancing Deer Brownie.

Fortunately, I was able to get an edible BOB chicken caesar wrap from Y.

I don't expect SQ or CX quality meals. But other than JFK-SFO/LAX, I've reached the point where I think twice about flying DL unless I'm going to eat in the terminal or, like today, there is more than a $150 differential compared to AA. Yes, it's upgrade class but jeez, just serve edible meals in F and you might even get people willing to pay for the front cabin.

At least I remembered to bring my own nuts today.

Last edited by SFO777; Apr 24, 2012 at 5:05 am
Old Apr 23, 2012, 4:43 pm

Programs: DL DM
Sadly the long-term result of the front cabin being filled with elites on low fares....but by God be proud elites...you have an F on your boarding pass.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
If you want good food, but good food.

(Sorry, could resist a play in the "If you want FC..." mantra)

I do sympathize with you.

I imagine that the beef was dry and the tray was devoid of any sort of moistening agent, such as horseradish or mustard.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Was the Gin and Tonic OK at least?
Old Apr 23, 2012, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Was the Gin and Tonic OK at least?
That was perfect. ^
Old Apr 23, 2012, 5:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by SFO777
At least I remembered to bring my own nuts today.
They're like American Express -- never leave home without them.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by Dovster
They're like American Express -- never leave home without them.
Darkon bevakasha
Old Apr 23, 2012, 5:58 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
DL's roast beef and potato salad option is horrible. I do like that greek pizza thing though. Oh and what ever happened to the burger???
Old Apr 23, 2012, 6:24 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
DL's roast beef and potato salad option is horrible. I do like that greek pizza thing though. Oh and what ever happened to the burger???
The beef salad is, in fact, horrendous. I've heard FAs refer to it multiple ways ... one was "chimmichuri" style beef. To call it a "salad" is unfair. There's one leaf of lettuce and a slice or two of tomato. The last time I had it, the potatoes weren't cooked. After attempting a bite, I gagged, gave up and ate the fruit and brownie.

I also miss the burger. Last time I saw it was the first week of April on the 777 from LAX to ATL. The top bun was crispy stale, but it was still pretty good. The pretzel chicken sandwich also isn't bad.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 7:27 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, Avis Preferred
My serious suggestion is to send your pics to DL along with a link to this thread. Even my own abilities to roll with just about anything were slightly taxed by your pics. I think it is important that you provide a link to this thread so DL knows that a "hairy" situation like this does go public.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
I really could have done without seeing some of those pictures. I'm trying to unsee them, but not successfully.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 7:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K, American Advantage
Looks Disgusting!!! Another reason why I switched to American/United. Delta has a long way to go in terms of service. Although, United has dropped after the merger with CO. Too bad CO and DL didn't merge as their service levels are about the same it appears.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 7:46 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Loving this thread!

This picture looks like it is beef on the inside but pineapple on the outside. Some sort of hybrid tropical meat fruit

Old Apr 23, 2012, 7:48 pm

My question is was Clarence Thomas in the galley?

It's sad when you have to go to mediocre Y BOB for edible food.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 7:51 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by TWAWORLD
Looks Disgusting!!! Another reason why I switched to American/United. Delta has a long way to go in terms of service. Although, United has dropped after the merger with CO. Too bad CO and DL didn't merge as their service levels are about the same it appears.
And what will you do when you find a hair in your United meal? We all know that the airlines contract out for food catering, and are not cooking what the airlines are calling "meals". Now having said this, I do realize that each airline selects its own catering company as did DL here. If I were DL I would be raising you know what with the catering company over what happened here. However, as I mentioned above, unless the OP sends these pics to DL, DL will never know about this. And for that matter, if I did enough research, I could find reports of gross things found in airline meals served by every carrier. Perhaps we could start a sticky here, and name it, "What did you find in your airline meal (besides food) today?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.