Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL breaks ground on LGA terminal upgrades/renovations

Old Apr 11, 2012, 2:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

I went out to the ground breaking for the terminal renovations at LGA this morning. It was a great photo op as far as events go, with a lot of elected officials there (Congressman, Lt. Gov, Mayor and many city councilmen) and many of them speaking. Also, Delta CEO Anderson and SVP for NYC, Gail Grimmett spoke. Nothing particularly shocking from the statements, including no word on how they plan to handle the extra 10,000+ daily passengers in terms of moving them to/from the city, but such is life.

Also, everyone got a hand in on the ceremonial dirt for the ground breaking:

Even me.

Read more about Delta's LGA terminal renovation plans here.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 2:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sbm12
I went out to the ground breaking for the terminal renovations at LGA this morning. It was a great photo op as far as events go, with a lot of elected officials there (Congressman, Lt. Gov, Mayor and many city councilmen) and many of them speaking. Also, Delta CEO Anderson and SVP for NYC, Gail Grimmett spoke. Nothing particularly shocking from the statements, including no word on how they plan to handle the extra 10,000+ daily passengers in terms of moving them to/from the city, but such is life.

Also, everyone got a hand in on the ceremonial dirt for the ground breaking:

Even me.

Read more about Delta's LGA terminal renovation plans here.
Well allegedly it will be finished by year end and Delta hasn't even finished phasing in its LGA service yet.

I wouldn't call the upgrades significant in any way, just makes it easier to move between the two terminals and allows users at the other terminal to also have lounge access and larger security areas.

After it is unified it will allow access to be much easier and is a good thing though.

Improvements to transportation hubs like airports are akin to transportation improvements in the subways allowing better access.

Last edited by adamj023; Apr 11, 2012 at 2:33 pm
Old Apr 11, 2012, 2:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by adamj023
Well allegedly it will be finished by year end and Delta hasn't even finished phasing in its LGA service yet.
Phase one of the tunnel will be, though phase two calls for adding moving walkways and that's a later effort but still early in 2013.

I wouldn't call the upgrades significant in any way, just makes it easier to move between the two terminals and allows users at the other terminal to also have lounge access.
They're expanding one of the D lounges and converting one of the C lounges to a SkyClub from a US club. They're also rebuilding the security checkpoints to add more lanes and they're upgrading the interior of C to match the Delta style. Oh, and a bunch of new restaurants in C.

It isn't a complete gut job, but it is pretty significant considering what they have to work with and the limitations in terms of not being able to knock anything down to start over.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA ExecP
I wouldn't call the upgrades significant in any way, just makes it easier to move between the two terminals and allows users at the other terminal to also have lounge access and larger security areas.
Sure is no AirTrain between LGA and EWR.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 2:43 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Improvements to transportation hubs like airports are akin to transportation improvements in the subways allowing better access.
Yes, improvements are akin to improvements. Well said.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.