New Pre-arrival Snack TATL in Y

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2012, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Thumbs down New Pre-arrival Snack TATL in Y

Hi everyone,

I had my first TATL for 2012 in Y today from LHR to BOS. The main meal and service were fine.

To my surprise, DL changed the pre-arrival snack from pizza and generic ice cream to a three cheese calzone and the generic ice cream. I've always been happy enough with the pizza, but thought the calzone was absolutely disgusting.

Fortunately, I had a sandwich with me.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 9:09 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Platinum
I've done LHR-BOS in the past few months in Y, and I was incredibly disappointed in the meal service.

I'm not sure if it's their catering vendor at LHR or what, but the meals I got out of LHR were awful.

If the calzone is worse than the pizza, that's got to be pretty awful.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 9:24 pm

Programs: DL Million Miler
Darn. I could have tried it if I hadn't gotten an op-up AMS-DTW today.

If only I had known about the calzone maybe I could have talked my way back into coach.

(That said, I never liked the pizza - - but after 8 hours in a plane it's hard to taste much of anything):

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/sc...s-2107130.html

http://www.chow.com/food-news/52743/...stes-terrible/
Old Jan 7, 2012, 9:25 pm

Of course it's worse than the pizza: it's full of fake cheese.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 9:29 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles PM, Starwood SPG Platinum, Hilton HH Honors, UA MP Silver, EK Skywards Silver
I think the meals in Y are just not good with DL...I think portions on KL and AF are just bigger, and the meals are better.

When flying from MAN-ATL on DL late November, the main meal was chicken and rice...which was actually not bad at all, a very small salad, a stale bread roll...and no dessert such as a slice of cake, custard...anything...maybe the butter was supposed to be the dessert.

Pre-arrival snack was pizza and ice cream, and since it was a light load in Y...second and even third round of ice cream.

Nothing is worse than any TATL route leaving from ATL on DL...seriously Delta, that thing you call Chicken...is NOT Chicken.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 9:33 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles PM, Starwood SPG Platinum, Hilton HH Honors, UA MP Silver, EK Skywards Silver
I really wish DL would take a closer look at their onboard catering service on TATL routes.

Domestic FC is not great either...

I think the DL product overall is fairly good, but when it comes to catering...there is just a lot of work to do. Rather than sending me surveys to my inbox about how smooth the check-in process was and gate experience...I'd like an e-mail on the onboard catering. Still waiting on that one.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by rwoman
Fortunately, I had a sandwich with me.
A ham sandwich?
Old Jan 8, 2012, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by javabytes
A ham sandwich?
I kind of felt like one.

Last month it was still the "cardboard" pizza. I'll send in a note and I am sore they'll reply with an apology about frustration and such. Maybe I'll get a few miles out of it, but I really just want them to fix it.

The main meal was fine. I find the really bad meals with DL in Y tend to be the pastas with a white sauce.

As far as other carriers, in T, I find the food to be far better on AA and BA this past year.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 5:01 am

Programs: Delta Gold
I don't know why it's so hard for them to come up with a decent-tasting pre-arrival snack. They're always revolting.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 5:04 am
c_d

Programs: Feels like FO (AA EXP)
I think that post is four years late - the "big" change was in 2008 when Häagen-Dazs was first constrained (only one flavour) and later totally removed and the organic pizza was replaced by this analogue thingy. It doesn't really help that "product of Italy" is printed everywhere ...

So, OP, are you saying that they have replaced the generic with yet another generic?
Old Jan 8, 2012, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by c_d
I think that post is four years late - the "big" change was in 2008 when Häagen-Dazs was first constrained (only one flavour) and later totally removed and the organic pizza was replaced by this analogue thingy. It doesn't really help that "product of Italy" is printed everywhere ...

So, OP, are you saying that they have replaced the generic with yet another generic?
Yes, not great, but edible was replaced with generic "I refuse to eat."

Old Jan 8, 2012, 5:49 am
c_d

Programs: Feels like FO (AA EXP)
Originally Posted by rwoman
Yes, not great, but edible was replaced with generic "I refuse to eat."

Woohoo, good thing that we might be able to pre-buy meals fairly soon. Add in a couple of extra bucks and get a hint of pillow+blanket to take home and re-use.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Arrow

Got the same junk on AF (!) CDG-DTW this week
Old Jan 8, 2012, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by javabytes
A ham sandwich?
Yes, I like ham & Swiss cheese sandwiches. However, I think the sandwiches is good and it's right choice for me.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by stylo4444

When flying from MAN-ATL on DL late November, the main meal was chicken and rice...which was actually not bad at all, a very small salad, a stale bread roll...and no dessert such as a slice of cake, custard...anything...maybe the butter was supposed to be the dessert.

Nothing is worse than any TATL route leaving from ATL on DL...seriously Delta, that thing you call Chicken...is NOT Chicken.
Yes DL65 - a flight I know well. To improve go MAN-CDG-ATL on AF metal - food much better and more miles - but a very sucky airport in CDG. Ah well --

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.