Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Creative ways to use my $200 AMEX fee allowance on Delta?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2011, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

Hey All,

As the year ends, I find myself with about $175 of the annual $200 AMEX Platinum's airline fee reimbursement.

My airline of choice was Delta and because I am PM, I don't have to pay for baggage.

Any of you have creative ways (short of buying everyone on board a beer ) to use the $175 I have left before the clocks strikes 12/31?
Old Nov 29, 2011, 9:06 pm
mpp

You can purchase five one-day SkyClub passes for $99. They are legally transferable and sell on ebay for about $20 each. The passes are good for one year.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 9:13 pm

Programs: Delta gm Spg gold hilton gold hyatt platinum hertz presidents avis presidential
You can buy a sky club membership for a family member. With the ongoing promotion, the $50 initiation fee is being waived
Old Nov 29, 2011, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mpp
You can purchase five one-day SkyClub passes for $99. They are legally transferable and sell on ebay for about $20 each. The passes are good for one year.
5 for $99?

They seem to be 1 for $50...?

Originally Posted by mendel k
You can buy a sky club membership for a family member. With the ongoing promotion, the $50 initiation fee is being waived
Skyclub membership for <$175?
Old Nov 29, 2011, 9:17 pm

Programs: Delta gm Spg gold hilton gold hyatt platinum hertz presidents avis presidential
Originally Posted by thexfactor:17538051
Originally Posted by mpp
5 for $99?

They seem to be 1 for $50...?
http://ebm.e.delta.com/c/tag/BOuZ9aB7R-H0B8eTlhAAAAADra/doc.html
Old Nov 29, 2011, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

http://ebm.e.delta.com/c/tag/BOuZ9aB7R-H0B8eTlhAAAAADra/doc.html
Spectacular, thanks.

Now, what to do with the remaining $75?

I guess I can just buy a second 5-pack...
Old Nov 29, 2011, 9:27 pm

Skyclub membership for <$175?[/QUOTE]

My point is that it'll save u money if you have a family member who flys and wants access, this way it'll only cost $225 if they don't have status, and less if they're medallions
Old Nov 29, 2011, 9:33 pm

Worst case you can always buy miles on delta.dumb. I'll admit it's probably not the best way to use the credit, but again, this is worst case.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

My point is that it'll save u money if you have a family member who flys and wants access, this way it'll only cost $225 if they don't have status, and less if they're medallions
Charges in excess of $150 have notoriously not been refunded, so buying a SC membership for ~$3-400 would likely not be advised.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by thexfactor:17538146
Charges in excess of $150 have notoriously not been refunded, so buying a SC membership for ~$3-400 would likely not be advised.
Really? I was planning on buying a membership for a gm and only hoping to pay $150
Old Nov 29, 2011, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSP-MN
Worst case you can always buy miles on delta.dumb. I'll admit it's probably not the best way to use the credit, but again, this is worst case.
True, but this promotion would soften the blow a bit.

Really? I was planning on buying a membership for a gm and only hoping to pay $150
Really. I'm sure its been discussed on FT somewhere.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 12:16 am

Programs: DL MM PM; AA MM Gold for Life; Hilton Diamond for Life
Originally Posted by thexfactor
Hey All,

As the year ends, I find myself with about $175 of the annual $200 AMEX Platinum's airline fee reimbursement.

My airline of choice was Delta and because I am PM, I don't have to pay for baggage.

Any of you have creative ways (short of buying everyone on board a beer ) to use the $175 I have left before the clocks strikes 12/31?
Um, trying to track this, is it the case that this benefit is not available on the Platinum Delta card, just on the Platinum non-Delta (null) card?
Old Nov 30, 2011, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by joslyn40:17538675
Um, trying to track this, is it the case that this benefit is not available on the Platinum Delta card, just on the Platinum non-Delta (null) card?
The Amex plat (not the delta) gives you $200 annual airline fee credit
Old Nov 30, 2011, 1:32 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by thexfactor
True, but this promotion would soften the blow a bit.

Really. I'm sure its been discussed on FT somewhere.
I'm pretty sure that lounge memberships are on the list of things that are expressly covered by the fee, however. Thus, reimbursement probably won't be automatic, but should be doable.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Wonder if you can use it for the buy-MQM promo that is going on and get the credit?

So whats the deal with the thing about charges over $150 not getting the credit even though it should?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.