Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson Concourse F

Old Nov 15, 2011, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL:PM - Reserve, 2MM, FC, RW; HH: SILVER MR: SILVER
Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson Concourse F

For the latest updates be sure to visit the new website for the Maynard Jackson International Terminal

Here you can get the latest information:

The new International Hartsfield-Jackson International Concourse F is really starting to take shape. It is currently scheduled to be operational in May of 2012. Here is a “sneak peak” at some of the highlights of the new 1.2 million square foot terminal.

Concourse E & F will be connected via a “sterile” walkway (for Atlanta arriving passengers who have not yet cleared Customs and Border control) along with an expansion of the current People mover “train” to create a 40-gate International complex.

Here is a view of the walkway between Concourse E and F. The “sterile” walkway is on the right and the general passenger connecting walkway is on the left in the pictures below. Both sides have bi-directional moving walkways are separated by “Glass Art” panels.

The new facility has expansive use of glass walls that provide some exceptional views of the Atlanta Airport. The Lobby design has huge glass walls on both sides permitting passengers checking in with great views looking south and ability to see aircraft and operations at east gates of the new International Concourse.

Check-in Lobby

Once Concourse F is operational, Atlanta bound passengers will no longer be required to re-check their bags or go through a TSA screening. This Concourse will also have a very large International Arrivals Lobby for Atlanta Bound arriving passengers from both Concourse E & F providing a great area for friends and family to meet passengers.

Baggage re-check to the left

International Arrivals Hall

East Ramp via also viewable from the Check-in area

Concourse F will have an additional Customs and Border Control Lobby as well as two Security checkpoints (one for departing passengers checking in at the new International terminal, as we all as a Security re-check for connecting international passengers arriving at Concourse F).

Customs and Border Control Lobby

International Baggage Claim area

For those wondering about the ability to handle the A-380 aircraft, Hartsfield-Jackson Airport is currently expanding the taxiways and runway to be able to handle the requirements of the A-380. Under the current plan, Gate E-1 is slated to be converted to a dual-jetway to accommodate the larger A-380 capacity aircraft.

The new terminal will allow passengers to reach airport from I-75 and will allow passengers to check-in for both International and Domestic flights.

The new Delta Sky Club in Concourse F (Entrance shown in the picture below on the upper level) of the expansive International Atrium, just past the security check-point, will be one of the largest clubs with more than 12,000 square feet, eight showers, and fantastic views of Concourse E and the rest of the Atlanta Airport.

Just past the Security Check point is the International Atrium area

The International terminal Shops and Food Court area:

Concourse F Hallway for Gates F1-F5

Gates F1 and F2 are located at the very south end of Concourse F and offer incredible views of Runway 9L/27R which is the longest Runway in Atlanta most often used for the departure of larger International Aircraft.

Finally, a great view of the glass wall looking up from below the escalators leading from Concourse F to the Transportation Mall.

Many thanks to Delta’s General Manager of ACS Station Management for his guided tour of this incredible facility, as well as the International Chief Pilot in Atlanta for the great conversation as well as a pilot’s view of the world!

Thanks to Canarsie for the great pictures, and Wid for making this incredible "sneak peak" tour possible.

Last edited by atldlff; Nov 18, 2011 at 12:38 pm
Old Nov 15, 2011, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Originally Posted by atldlff
Concourse E & F will be connected via a sterile walkway (for Atlanta arriving passengers who have not yet cleared Customs and Border control) along with an expansion of the current People mover train to create a 40-gate International complex.
Thanks for posting this explanation. Until I read it, I didn't understand why the airport was building a new international concourse while simultaneously modifying the old international concourse for the A380.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Great pictures, thanks for the update. Interesting (at least to me) that they'll be using E for the A380 and not the new F terminal. Excited to use it next year, and it's opening just in time for a nice trip next summer.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 2:15 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Great pictures. Thanks for posting!
Old Nov 15, 2011, 2:35 pm

Great Pics

This construction has been a long time coming. Looking forward to strolling through the terminal.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Great pics - thanks for sharing! It'll be nice to experience the new terminal next year! I hope!
Old Nov 15, 2011, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
With this international sterile area, if would be great if they created an international transfer area without customs and immigration. It would be a boon for Delta for connections between Europe and the Caribbean.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 3:11 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

There are many, many more photographs of Concourse F.

Hopefully we will be able to post some additional photographs in this thread.

I truly enjoyed the sneak peek at Concourse F!
Originally Posted by atldlff
Many thanks to Delta’s General Manager of ACS Station Management for his guided tour of this incredible facility, as well as the International Chief Pilot in Atlanta for the great conversation as well as a pilot’s view of the world!

Thanks to Canarsie for the great pictures, and Wid for making this incredible "sneak peak" tour possible.
I likewise thank atldlff, as well as also echo his thanks!
Old Nov 15, 2011, 3:41 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
With this international sterile area, if would be great if they created an international transfer area without customs and immigration. It would be a boon for Delta for connections between Europe and the Caribbean.
I don't think it is a DL or an ATL airport issue. AFAIK, this option stopped shortly after 9/11. Everyone who enters a US airport from an international flight (well, except places like CAN, where pre-screening is done) must go through immigration and customs.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 3:50 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
The problem is that the US doesn't have exit checkpoints, so there would be no way to segregate passengers who hadn't cleared from people who were leaving the country (either by having cleared previously or been born here).

Put another way, in order to make what you describe happen, you'd have to have your passport stamped transferring from a US domestic flight to an international flight.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 4:52 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by bennos
The problem is that the US doesn't have exit checkpoints, so there would be no way to segregate passengers who hadn't cleared from people who were leaving the country (either by having cleared previously or been born here).

Put another way, in order to make what you describe happen, you'd have to have your passport stamped transferring from a US domestic flight to an international flight.
Not necessarily. The UK doesn't have exit checks (except "surprise" ones, but they still don't stamp your passport then), but it's possible to make an international-international transit without clearing the UK border and folks flying MAN-LHR-SIN don't get a passport stamp at LHR either. However, unlike US airports, once you've entered the sterile area, you can only leave via airplane (except in extraordinary circumstances). Conceivably, CBP could authorize a US airport to have an international connections area for international-international transit passengers if that connections area didn't allow passengers to exit to the regular domestic part of the airport (connecting passengers arriving from domestic flights could enter with a BP check). I think the reason no one's done it is that there's just not enough international-international connecting that goes on in the US compared to Europe in order to justify the additional design.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 5:07 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by mtkeller
Not necessarily. The UK doesn't have exit checks (except "surprise" ones, but they still don't stamp your passport then)
I thought the UK had exit checks, just like the rest of Europe. It certainly does at LHR T5, where you go through an immigration checkpoint before security when departing. I thought this was the case at all other UK airports as well.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 5:37 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Conceivably, CBP could authorize a US airport to have an international connections area for international-international transit passengers if that connections area didn't allow passengers to exit to the regular domestic part of the airport (connecting passengers arriving from domestic flights could enter with a BP check).
Some US airports had that, MIA in particular, before 9/11. They were taken away since then.

I think the reason no one's done it is that there's just not enough international-international connecting that goes on in the US compared to Europe in order to justify the additional design.
I believe the reason is not space or few international=>international connections, as mentioned above.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 6:38 pm

Programs: Delta, Hyatt-Plat, Priority Club-Plat, Hilton-Gold
Great pictures, thanks for posting!!
Old Nov 15, 2011, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Back to UA, missing DL; Marriott Gold
Looks great. The check-in areas remind me a bit of the recently-finished T2 at RDU, especially the views overlooking the ramp.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.