Wiki Posts
Search

Take a 744 MSP to ATL

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2011, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Take a 744 MSP to ATL

A short trip, but if you're looking to ride the 747, this looks like a good chance:

Friday, November 4th 2011:

Carrier
Flight # Departs Arrives Equipment
Type Flight
Duration Miles Performance Data1
From Time To Time
Delta 721 Minneapolis/St Paul (MSP) 5:10pm Atlanta (ATL) 8:44pm Boeing 747-400 2.34 907
On time: 76%
+30 mins: 17%
Total miles: 907

My trip from MSP -> NYC just got an extra stop in atlanta (and, a 51 minute connection). But, with a gazillion BE seats, I'm thinking I ought to be able to get a seat up top.

I'm guessing it's just getting shuttled around for some kind of maintenance checks. Either that, or they decided they wanted to sent the MD90 that normally does this route to Tokyo to save some fuel
Old Oct 17, 2011, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Still haven't had a chance to ride on a 747. Doesn't look like I'll be able to this time either. I may just wait until they get the lie-flats
Old Oct 17, 2011, 6:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, DL DM MM. National Exec... and my CC qualified for Plat. Status!
Thats pretty cool. I fly mostly domestic so I rarely get to fly on the REALLY big planes. I remember my first time ever on a 744 and just being astounded on how big it was. It is amazing that they can get something that big and heavy off the ground.

Good luck with your upgrade..

Happy Travels!
Old Oct 17, 2011, 6:24 pm

Programs: 3MM DM, DL Reserve, HH Diamond, Nat Exec Elite, SPG, PC, etc...
This is the only bird in DL's fleet I haven't flown. I've been on a 747-300 to HNL a decade ago but nothing recent or on DL metal.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
I almost never fly over the oceans either, so it's "mixed narrowbody fleet" for me all the way.

Had a chance to ride an ERJ recently (not quite a 744, but it was novel for me in the fleet -- they're much more pleasant than CRJs), and I took a small detour a while back to take a DC9 before they're all gone.

There's usually a 763 turn JFK - ATL that I had done a couple of times; Everyone scoffs at them for real BE trips, but it's a nice seat when the alternative is a domestic F seat on anything else.

I think now, aside from subtypes (753 vs 752, M90 vs M88, E170 vs E175), I just need the 330 to get the set.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 8:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by stevekstevek
A short trip, but if you're looking to ride the 747, this looks like a good chance:

Friday, November 4th 2011:

Carrier
Flight # Departs Arrives Equipment
Type Flight
Duration Miles Performance Data1
From Time To Time
Delta 721 Minneapolis/St Paul (MSP) 5:10pm Atlanta (ATL) 8:44pm Boeing 747-400 2.34 907
On time: 76%
+30 mins: 17%
Total miles: 907

My trip from MSP -> NYC just got an extra stop in atlanta (and, a 51 minute connection). But, with a gazillion BE seats, I'm thinking I ought to be able to get a seat up top.

I'm guessing it's just getting shuttled around for some kind of maintenance checks. Either that, or they decided they wanted to sent the MD90 that normally does this route to Tokyo to save some fuel
why oh why did I open this thread? Thanks... Just what I needed. I'm a sucker for flights like this. Now, just have to figure out how to explain this one to the wifey. I already have lax to atl booked on the 744 on Oct. 29!
Old Oct 17, 2011, 8:14 pm

Programs: CI: Emer; CX: Sliver; DL: PM; PC: RA;
I think DL's 744 is good but not as modern as 777.
Just finished two TransPacific with DL.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 8:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by wpyeh
I think DL's 744 is good but not as modern as 777.
Just finished two TransPacific with DL.
no argument from me there. Just that the 744 is a classic. Kind of like driving in a 69 Camaro. Sure, you can ride in a more comfortable and fuel efficient car, but.....
Old Oct 17, 2011, 8:39 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
While I never look ahead and plan for these things (which probably hurts my FT credibility!), I always love getting that random equipment swap on a repositioning flight. I really enjoyed sitting next to my boss in J on a PMNW 330 from MSP-ATL a couple years back, and the random BE-equipped 757 flying from MCO-ATL several weeks back was quite a surprise. My business travel is 100% domestic, so those little things definitely add a nice touch when they happen...but then again, I'm also an aviation dork!
Old Oct 17, 2011, 8:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Deemus7
While I never look ahead and plan for these things (which probably hurts my FT credibility!), I always love getting that random equipment swap on a repositioning flight. I really enjoyed sitting next to my boss in J on a PMNW 330 from MSP-ATL a couple years back, and the random BE-equipped 757 flying from MCO-ATL several weeks back was quite a surprise. My business travel is 100% domestic, so those little things definitely add a nice touch when they happen...but then again, I'm also an aviation dork!
I always try to track down the BE equipped birds coming from SEA usually to ATL or JFK.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
There are also some 747s wandering around domestically on the Saturday/Sunday after Thanksgiving this year. I think it was pretty much LAX-ATL/DTW, but MSP might have had one too.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:14 pm

Programs: CI: Emer; CX: Sliver; DL: PM; PC: RA;
Originally Posted by nypdLieu
no argument from me there. Just that the 744 is a classic. Kind of like driving in a 69 Camaro. Sure, you can ride in a more comfortable and fuel efficient car, but.....
exactly, 744 is still the best aircraft for me.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:29 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
Back in the 90's NWA had a 744 flight MSP-DTW. Not sure if that's true today. I believe it was a positioning flight for heading to NRT or HKG.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:34 pm

Programs: DL FO
Originally Posted by nypdLieu
why oh why did I open this thread? Thanks... Just what I needed. I'm a sucker for flights like this. Now, just have to figure out how to explain this one to the wifey. I already have lax to atl booked on the 744 on Oct. 29!
why oh why did you post this!! after reading your post, just booked a MR on 10/29 JFK-LAX-ATL-JFK on the hopes that I can score an upgrade on both the 332 and 744... fingers shall remained crossed til then
Old Oct 17, 2011, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by hoth300
why oh why did you post this!! after reading your post, just booked a MR on 10/29 JFK-LAX-ATL-JFK on the hopes that I can score an upgrade on both the 332 and 744... fingers shall remained crossed til then
Looking dicey on the LAX-ATL - noticed a lot of seats taken on that seatmap.

Thought about doing that as a mileage run, but decided against it - even as a Diamond wasn't feeling too great on the upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.