Time to limit SkyClub access

Old Oct 20, 2011, 5:33 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by AUDirt
On a (marginally) related note, I'm going to PHL this weekend and, because of my AMEX card, can hit either club. Should I go to the SC or give the US club a try? I'll have one adult guest with me and he likes his "sauce", so is one club better than the other in that regard?
In PHL do the SC. Only bud light and house wine are ."free" for a dollar at US. All drinks after your first are. "free" for a dollar at SC.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by stencil
OP here, passing through NRT again. Not a single seat available. Three dudes sitting at a table in the middle blasting music from an iPhone and they clearly thing it's cute.

Skyclub is NOT worth it as is. Hope Dl is happy.
Tell the people to use headphones for the iphone. If that doesn't work complain to an agent, you shouldn't have to tolerate that.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 7:41 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AA
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
In PHL do the SC. Only bud light and house wine are ."free" for a dollar at US. All drinks after your first are. "free" for a dollar at SC.
And the wine they offer "free" for a dollar is box-wine quality or less. In other words, expect to smell like a drunk after drinking just one glass of that nasty swill.

Go to the SC!
Old Oct 20, 2011, 7:48 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AA
Originally Posted by stencil
OP here, passing through NRT again. Not a single seat available. Three dudes sitting at a table in the middle blasting music from an iPhone and they clearly thing it's cute.

Skyclub is NOT worth it as is. Hope Dl is happy.
Hi OP. Yeah, looks like you passed through right at peak hours where everyone is waiting on their intra-Asia connections. Same as me when I was going to Guam a few months ago.

Ever since NW and DL merged it has been a tough balancing act with the system-wide SC's. Combine it with all the other access options discussed in this thread and now you see the end result.

DL is losing the battle on their end.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 8:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
At what point will DL wake up and realize that the disgraceful state of the SCs is driving premium passengers to other carriers? When one pays DL fares, including M+, for a TATL or TPAC flight and then has a horrible SC experience, one quickly becomes less willing to fly DL again. For example, there is a world of difference between the atmosphere in the ANA lounges at NRT and the current SC conditions there.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 8:28 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
Thanks!
Old Oct 20, 2011, 8:30 am

Programs: DL KM/DM/2MM (NH Plat emeritus, CO Plat emeritus, and no place like home)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
At what point will DL wake up and realize that the disgraceful state of the SCs is driving premium passengers to other carriers? When one pays DL fares, including M+, for a TATL or TPAC flight and then has a horrible SC experience, one quickly becomes less willing to fly DL again. For example, there is a world of difference between the atmosphere in the ANA lounges at NRT and the current SC conditions there.
And, since I've been there on Sunday, I have to agree with MSPeconomist

Especially between 13:00 (aka-1pm) and 16:30 (aka-4:30pm), the SC at NRT T1 is crowded at levels one would not imagine. The only thing that 'saves' the place is the fact that it is has truly dedicated Japanese staff members who do cleaning and organizing every 15-20 minutes (I watched them)

Investment in SC is critical. I have to be up front: I would have paid again for SC membership if I did not receive one as a DM. It is sooooooooooooo crowded that I did find myself few times relaxing at the terminal instead of the lounge.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 9:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I don't find the SCs any more crowded than many of the other lounges I frequent. Most of the time, I would say that the SCs are less crowded than the KL lounges at AMS or the main BA lounge at LHR, for example. My experiences with LH at FRA and LX at ZRH are similar. The exception would be AF at CDG, where I find their lounges to be relatively uncrowded.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 12:51 pm

Programs: United 1K, SPG Platinum, Delta PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by wpyeh
if you travel between 0900 to 1630 you can take KE's lounge near gate 26. Or you can try AF lounge near skyclub gate 16.
All DL Asian GM or above grant free Skyclub membership (to compensate the no use of unlimited domestic upgrade).
Based on my recent experience, the Skyclub is still better then other hub skyclubs and even better then UAL's RCC in NRT.
Are you certain that this is still the case? My understanding is that the free SkyClub membership benefit for Asia-based GM and above was terminated when ElitePlus was granted to GMs.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 1:14 pm

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
I gave up my SC membership this year. I have an AMEX Plat, so I'll use that access bennie. I did monthly trips SLC-PHX, so it was a good deal for me. When the PHX club closed, it was less attractive (BTW, the agents who manned the PHX club were EXCELLENT!!!) When the priority checkpoint access was taken away from the SC membership, it became pretty unattractive for the price. I just finally decided to cancel when this renewal came up.

To help out with those under 21 but are DMs or want to buy a SC membership, I would say that the policy of "no GUESTS under 21" would take care of that. You're not a guest, you're a member :-)
Old Oct 21, 2011, 5:52 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Thoughtthis one would fan some flames here.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...x-not-crc.html
Old Oct 22, 2011, 11:52 am

Programs: WN peon (was A+), IHG Plat Hilton HHonors Gold DL SkyPesos PM (still a peon) US Chmn, Hawaiian Haole
SLC

SLC SC was moderately busy last evening, but peaceful and I quite enjoyed my couple of hours purchased on a day pass with my Amex SkyMiles card. As I was about to fork over the AmEx, the man in front of me started to invite me in as his guest, but the Dragon Lady quickly put the kibosh on that. To those of you who resent the $25 AmEx day pass, I can only smile.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 7:27 am

This should help (chase away loyal SC members...)

Delta is selling lounge access on Groupon

From Gary / View from the Wing

$25 for a single visit pass, $89 for a five-visit punch card. The passes expire after six months.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 8:00 am
k2

Originally Posted by pbarnette
I don't find the SCs any more crowded than many of the other lounges I frequent. Most of the time, I would say that the SCs are less crowded than the KL lounges at AMS or the main BA lounge at LHR, for example. My experiences with LH at FRA and LX at ZRH are similar. The exception would be AF at CDG, where I find their lounges to be relatively uncrowded.
For international I mostly agree, especially regarding LH @ FRA, those can be ugly. NRT has definitely become worse since the merger, the 1pm-4pm period is getting really bad. ANA and JL lounges are much nicer.

For domestic I don't even bother going to SCs anymore unless there's an IROP or I'm traveling with an alcoholic. The ATL lounges are an absolute joke.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 8:41 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVPG, Hilton Gold, Kimpton Inner Circle Elite
In my experience, for domestic SCs, BOS, JFK-T2, PDX, SEA and MEM are the least crowded, all the other hub lounges + LAX and SFO is another story...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.