Southwest Takes Flight out ATL

Old Aug 22, 2011, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Southwest Takes Flight out ATL

Can't believe this isn't here. Did a search, but mods feel free to delete if it's a dup!

http://www.blogsouthwest.com/blog/at...comin-your-way

Febuary 2012 Five cities

Houston, Austin, Chicago, Denver, BWI

Perhaps they can show Delta how they do ground ops. SW lands and turns the plane arouind in the time it takes Delta to find a gate in Atlanta. (Why do I always feel like the Ground Ops is surprised when planes land?)
Old Aug 22, 2011, 2:07 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I wanted to post this here earlier but wasn't sure if news about WN should be on the DL forum. That being said, I think it should stay, considering how big competition at ATL is for those of us who fly DL (ATL is the main reason I'm a medallion).

Coincidentally, I just booked a BWI-ATL o/w for September, for about 30% more than what WN is advertising starting in February. I think it's great for ATL ^
Old Aug 22, 2011, 2:14 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Elite Lifetime
Get ready for moooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooore good fares!

BTW the moooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo is my first practice at SW boarding!!!
Old Aug 22, 2011, 2:14 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
The appearance of WN on the scene has the chance to mightily influence Delta's behavior, so I think it is absolutely pertinent to this forum.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by tuono07

BTW the moooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo is my first practice at SW boarding!!!
If their fares are like they are out of DTW, I wouldn't expect any good deals. Every flight I have taken on Delta this year and priced out on WN, has been (many times considerably) cheaper on DL than WN.

In fact for DTW/LAS sometimes Delta is cheaper on a first class (P fare) than what WN is on their cheapest ticket that isn't even fully refundable.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 2:20 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by tuono07

^

I wonder if any WN gates will be across from an airport Chick-Fil-A, it'd be apt considering their "spokespeople."
Old Aug 22, 2011, 2:21 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
WN doesn't 'lower' fares near what they used to when they enter a market...
Old Aug 22, 2011, 2:24 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, National Exec
But the perception is that they do...
Old Aug 22, 2011, 2:24 pm

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
If their fares are like they are out of DTW, I wouldn't expect any good deals. Every flight I have taken on Delta this year and priced out on WN, has been (many times considerably) cheaper on DL than WN.
My experience as well. WN is not the price leader they once were, IMHO. I will be interested to see how they handle gate utilization and ramp congestion in ATL, and I do wish them the best of luck.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 2:27 pm

Programs: WN,DL,AA,UA,B6,more!
I don't think we will see a whole lot of change until WN fully takes over Airtran's routes. This is certainly the first step, though.

While it would be nice to see lower fares what would stop them from just staying where they are?

WN already waves baggage fees so all else equal I figure the cattle flyers will go to WN. Fine with me. I prefer more experienced flyers that at least know some form of flying etiquette.

Personally I would only value WN in the event of an extortionate last minute flight, some really cheap deal that I wanted, or for non-flying family members that need to check bags.

I use my miles to go overseas. WN is useless on that front.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by foofiter
I don't think we will see a whole lot of change until WN fully takes over Airtran's routes. This is certainly the first step, though.

While it would be nice to see lower fares what would stop them from just staying where they are?

WN already waves baggage fees so all else equal I figure the cattle flyers will go to WN. Fine with me. I prefer more experienced flyers that at least know some form of flying etiquette.

Personally I would only value WN in the event of an extortionate last minute flight, some really cheap deal that I wanted, or for non-flying family members that need to check bags.

I use my miles to go overseas. WN is useless on that front.
If their prices out of ATL are anything like they are out of DTW, the waived bag fees don't mean a lot. In most of the cases where I have compared flight prices, WNs fares were more than $50 over Delta's price, so the kettles could have checked a bag on delta for $50 RT and still saved money.

And not to mention how they handle IRROPs on WN.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter
Perhaps they can show Delta how they do ground ops. SW lands and turns the plane arouind in the time it takes Delta to find a gate in Atlanta.
Yeah... we'll see about that...
Old Aug 22, 2011, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

I am not worried about fares.

I just want WN to teach Delta how to (A) find a gate and (B) have an agent ready to drive the jetway

The most frustrating part of a journey on Delta is the "wait" for a gate to be followed by the "wait for a ground crew" (what they didn't notice us sitting on the jetway for 30 minutes and are surprised there is a plane at the gate? )

Of course my favorite occured in BNA. Agent comes on and says "I am sorry we weren't here to drive the gate we didn't know you were coming" HELLO! You have one plane an hour from Atlanta... how hard is this!!!!
Old Aug 22, 2011, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA 2P, DL, FL A+ Elite, AA
Originally Posted by Vuelos
Also consider the fact that the "new" routes are part of WN taking over FL's flights as part of the WN-FL merger. FL has long been using ATL as one of their hubs, so all that's happening from an ATL perspective is the substitution of one LCL for another.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by jamesteroh

In fact for DTW/LAS sometimes Delta is cheaper on a first class (P fare) than what WN is on their cheapest ticket that isn't even fully refundable.
WN is frequently not the cheapest ticket around anymore. Their cost structure more and more closely resembles a legacy carrier's every day, and so do their prices. However, their mere presence on a route creates competition that probably keeps fares lower. So while WN may not be cheaper than DL in many cases, DL is probably cheaper than if WN wasn't on the route at all.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.