Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

to Tokyo and Back for 400$ Business Elite Back

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Just wanted to let you guys know about my little adventure to Tokyo-Haneda.

I got in on the Tokyo-Haneda promo deal. Not only did I get the discounted rate of $530 from TYS-DTW-HND. They gave me double miles so I got a free domestic out of the deal, On the DTW-HND leg I got all three Economy Comfort seats to myself, they upgraded me from Economy Comfort to Business Elite for the HND-DTW leg free, Moved me from Zone 3 to Zone 1 for DTW-TYS AND the FAA shutdown Gave me a refund over $120.

Best Deal EVER
Old Aug 12, 2011, 1:03 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
They weren't refunding taxes I thought? you received this refund already?
Old Aug 12, 2011, 1:17 pm

Programs: Skyteam
Good deal. Did you have fun in Tokyo?
Old Aug 12, 2011, 1:20 pm

You were in zone 3, do you have status? And they moved you to BE? They must have been hurting for space in back! Similar when I went - somewhat full going but packed full coming back.
Also, Delta is not refunding taxes - did you go through the IRS or were you just expecting to receive it (Delta has something on their site that says that the after Congress put the FAA back, they made everything retroactive, so no one gets a refund).
Glad you enjoyed the trip! I had a good time on my quick turn as well. I just wish I had booked more of them!
Old Aug 12, 2011, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Good deal. Did you have fun in Tokyo?
i had a great time stayed 5 days. the fish market is a blast. Really came away with a new respect for the japanese people and their efficency. their youths going through an identity crisis though lol.

They weren't refunding taxes I thought? you received this refund already?
yes i went to pay my credit card off this month and noticed a $120 credit on 8/3. If we aren't getting FAA refunds then I have no idea why I was refunded...

You were in zone 3, do you have status
I was in zone 2 for international and got the bump by the rep while confirming my passport. I was in zone 3 for the short flight from DTW to TYS but she gave me Sky Priority for some reason. I'm just a standard Delta Skymiles member. The entire plane was full so they must have bumped the entire EC to BE for free??
Old Aug 12, 2011, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, United PS, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Amtrak
There was a $530/ai fare to Tokyo from TYS? Wow, I really missed something.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DeltaWings
pretty crazy...

DELTA CONFIRMATION #: TICKET #: Bkng Meals/ Seat/
Day Date Flight Status Class City Time Other Cabin
--- ----- --------------- ------ ----- ---------------- ------ ------ -------
Wed 27JUL DELTA 3920* OK T LV KNOXVILLE 505P **
AR DETROIT 648P COACH

Wed 27JUL DELTA 627 OK T LV DETROIT 845P D **
AR TOKYO-HANEDA 1100P# COACH

Tue 02AUG DELTA 628 OK T LV TOKYO-HANEDA 655A D **
AR DETROIT 605A COACH

Tue 02AUG DELTA 4109* OK T LV DETROIT 1031A **
AR KNOXVILLE 1205P COACH
Old Aug 12, 2011, 2:02 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
How did i miss this sale? I'd have done several runs lol
Old Aug 12, 2011, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xolinlevh
How did i miss this sale? I'd have done several runs lol
there were tons of rumors such as it was an incentive to boost the Delta Haneda-DTW/LAX legs, price error, Post disaster promo. I think there was only a 2 or 3 week timeframe where the fare was this low but it was almost us wide (had to be to include knoxville :-P) then it jumped back to the 1500$ + range.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, United PS, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Amtrak
The refund of taxes (which I am not sure how you managed to score) makes that an incredible MR with a cpm of 2.95. Sad I missed out!
Old Aug 12, 2011, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

The refund of taxes (which I am not sure how you managed to score) makes that an incredible MR with a cpm of 2.95. Sad I missed out!
i've been brainstorming and i have no idea. 120$ is an odd number. EC was 140$ of upgrades I paid for. No idea!
Old Aug 12, 2011, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...-i-4-5cpm.html

The MR deal is detailed here. The actual fare was only good for about 36 hours for travel in a roughly month long period.

I am doing the LAX-HND MR over Labor Day weekend on a similarly good CPM. Any comments on the EC service? Did you get to use the common lounge for free in HND with BE on your departure? On arrival, did you use the monorail or train? If so, how was the timing on arrival through immigration and customs to catch the last public transportation of the day? I guess I am looking for a mini trip report.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 7:15 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM; Marriott Titanium
I paid $580 a.i. from MSP-LAX-HND-LAX-MSP. Saw the fare on a tweet from airfarewatchdog.com and jumped on it around midnight. It was gone 16 hours later from MSP.

I got bumped up from EC to BE on both the outbound from LAX (on a Tuesday) and the inbound from HND (on a Monday). The inbound flight was massively oversold by about 30, the TA said. Plus I, too, got the HND double miles bonus. Needless to say, it was a phenomenal deal.

Used the BE lounge in HND when leaving. The TA at check-in gave me the pass. Great view from the lounge.

On arrival, I used the monorail to central Tokyo (bought the ticket at the Tourist info desk just to your right when you exit immigration/customs).
Old Aug 12, 2011, 9:16 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Platinum
That's what I was thinking....
Old Aug 12, 2011, 9:53 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
I did that trip over the July 4TH weekend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.