Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Lowest Delta Fare Class does not earn MQMs? Yes It Does, Says Delta Air Lines

Lowest Delta Fare Class does not earn MQMs? Yes It Does, Says Delta Air Lines

Old May 19, 2011, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
+1

This is just par for the course.

Compared to their long-term track record prior to the merger ...
... they've been relatively benign since the merger (until this).
Specifics maybe not so accurate, but your postings were spot on.

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I guess you missed SMI's post above - that, or simply choose to ignore it and to perpetuate your complaint.

As for unannounced changes, documentation showed that E is a non-earning class. Anyone buying E under that set of rules has no reason to expect that miles will be earned. No further announcement is necessary. Could mot29 have purchased the E fare and found himself not earning miles? He could have - but was too smart for that.
I did read SMI's post. But I stand by my claim. It isn't about the RDM's (I guess you missed my post). It's about MQM's. Further, this is an announced change. Why are we finding out about it via fake bookings and EF?

Or perhaps you weren't subject to some of DL's recent changes without any announcement. Well, just wait a bit and see if you're drinking kool-aid still. The lack of communication isn't a once in a time mishap on DL's part, but rather a consistent pattern of unfriendly customer practices. Hiding it in small print on the purchase screen after introducing a new fare isn't what I call open communication with customers.

Originally Posted by GrizShel
So I hope Delta will see fit to give customers more of a heads up going forward of program changes. I'll cite just one recent example - the unannounced restructuring of the award program for intra-Asia redemptions and the reduction in benefits for Asian Skymiles members was a huge devaluation of skymiles for a significant segment of your customers - the overnight changes caught lots of them by surprise and has turned off many customers from Delta. Sadly, that was not the first time I experienced something like that after coming over to Delta from Northwest.
+1
Old May 19, 2011, 6:58 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Hiding it in small print on the purchase screen after introducing a new fare isn't what I call open communication with customers.

Especially considering that "small print" has been seriously wrong for several months now. Does Delta want to start honoring the 50% MQM bonus to all diamonds like package specifically says it will, or maybe they should start offering the 50% MQM bonus on the L fares I have recently purchased like the confirmation screen has shown lately?
Old May 19, 2011, 10:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
With all the speculation that these fares do not earn MQMs or miles, I found it interesting that today DL posted a message internally about the new E fares. In that memo it is stated that:

-E fares will earn mileage
-E fares are eligible for MQM accrual
-E fares are eligible for complimentary Medallion upgrades (on domestic part of international itinerary)

So, it looks like all this speculation about earning no miles or MQMs is off-base. It appears they were just so new that nobody really knew much about them and finally DL has loaded them into the system and are not coding them as an award class of service
Old May 19, 2011, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler
With all the speculation that these fares do not earn MQMs or miles, I found it interesting that today DL posted a message internally about the new E fares. In that memo it is stated that:

-E fares are eligible for complimentary Medallion upgrades (on domestic part of international itinerary)

So, it looks like all this speculation about earning no miles or MQMs is off-base. It appears they were just so new that nobody really knew much about them and finally DL has loaded them into the system and are not coding them as an award class of service
Sorry but several emails from DELTA AIRLINES stating in black an white that E FARES WILL NOT EARN MQMs is far from "Speculation".

You may want to turn your sights on understanding why a company as big and with as many resources as DL can continue to screw up EVERYTHING they roll out...and this one was a freaking easy as it gets: Update the website and train your employees.

Speculation? You got to be kidding me.
Old May 19, 2011, 12:23 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler

Off base?

Just stop. Tell your boss that they need to communicate this externally, prior to selling the GD fares in the first place.

Out of curiousity, what % will these miles earn? Does your INTERNAL MESSAGE say that?

The only thing OFF-BASE in this thread is Delta, for not communicating this properly.
Old May 19, 2011, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This whole thread is much ado about nothing.................
Old May 19, 2011, 1:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by turkeyRIOO
OK, who owes who on the earlier wagers? Thanks for your participation SMI.
I'm so disappointed no one took me up on the 3:1 odds. No profit for me.

Old May 19, 2011, 1:21 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
Delta would be better served to change all the literature and then drop the fares in. Instead, they went the other way around. They soft-launched the fares into the computer before updating any of the supporting material that would give their CSRs a clue. Cart before the horse is what they are guilty of.
Old May 19, 2011, 2:59 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles (Silver), UA Mileage Plus, US Scareways, AA Advantage
It seems that some people don't actually believe that this could just be a simple mistake. Knowing DL IT, I think that could be a legitimate possibility. If an IT bug goes through and allows E Fares (which were fares that previously did not earn MQMs) to be booked, than obviously the computer would show that the E fare wouldn't earn MQMs. It would hardly be an unannounced change if it was just a mistake (I'm not saying it wasn't intentional, I'm just saying that it simply could've been a mistake). Yes, DL has had a history of not announcing huge program-devaluing changes (and I think it's completely wrong and unethical) but, like I said, this could've just been a mistake. We shouldn't jump all over SMI and others who posted the internal DL announcement before we learn all the facts--I'm sure they'll leak out eventually.

DL757ATL
Old May 19, 2011, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by DL757ATL
It seems that some people don't actually believe that this could just be a simple mistake. Knowing DL IT, I think that could be a legitimate possibility. If an IT bug goes through and allows E Fares (which were fares that previously did not earn MQMs) to be booked, than obviously the computer would show that the E fare wouldn't earn MQMs. It would hardly be an unannounced change if it was just a mistake (I'm not saying it wasn't intentional, I'm just saying that it simply could've been a mistake). Yes, DL has had a history of not announcing huge program-devaluing changes (and I think it's completely wrong and unethical) but, like I said, this could've just been a mistake. We shouldn't jump all over SMI and others who posted the internal DL announcement before we learn all the facts--I'm sure they'll leak out eventually.

DL757ATL
It is not that we do not believe they can make mistakes...I KNOW they can and do. The issue people have is that we continue to hear how this was "A lot of stress about nothing" blah blah blah yet the stress was caused by Delta.

Again, when about to spend $1200 and the person (CS rep IS Delta in this instance) say it will not earn...then what do you believe. All the armchair quarterbacks want to say essentially "you should have known they were wrong"...Think about that statement and then somebody tell me how this is anybody but DL's fault.

I would also say that given the reaction here if they were going to go with a zero/reduced mileage plan for the lowest fare they are probably re-thinking it. I know I would if I were in their spot right now.
Old May 19, 2011, 3:25 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles (Silver), UA Mileage Plus, US Scareways, AA Advantage
Originally Posted by avidflyer
It is not that we do not believe they can make mistakes...I KNOW they can and do. The issue people have is that we continue to hear how this was "A lot of stress about nothing" blah blah blah yet the stress was caused by Delta.

Again, when about to spend $1200 and the person (CS rep IS Delta in this instance) say it will not earn...then what do you believe. All the armchair quarterbacks want to say essentially "you should have known they were wrong"...Think about that statement and then somebody tell me how this is anybody but DL's fault.

I would also say that given the reaction here if they were going to go with a zero/reduced mileage plan for the lowest fare they are probably re-thinking it. I know I would if I were in their spot right now.
I completely agree. My post was more directed towards the posters who were saying how this was another "unannounced, unethical change" when it could've just been a simple error. I also agree that this is completely DL's fault--I didn't say that it wasn't.

I give a big ^ and a +1 to the last part of your post...I would imagine that if this was ever their long-term plan that they're re-thinking it now after seeing some of our reactions.

DL757ATL
Old May 19, 2011, 3:31 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
They still haven't changed the earnings page on DL.com.

Seriously, this cannot be that hard. We're talking about deleting literally one letter on one page of the site.
Old May 19, 2011, 3:34 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by DL757ATL
We shouldn't jump all over SMI and others who posted the internal DL announcement before we learn all the facts--I'm sure they'll leak out eventually.
We all know that DL monitors FT. We all know DL knows this thread exists. We all know SMI is smart enough to know the difference between RDM and MQM. We all know SMI was purposely nebulous in his post.

Sorry, yes we should "jump all over SMI." He is told what to post and the powers that be have not authorized him to clarify his statement...on purpose.
Old May 19, 2011, 3:44 pm

Programs: DL DM
L/7 U/0 T/0 E/2??

Interesting extra data point from a flight I've got coming up.

If E really is simply a lower priced fare bucket, then I find this very strange.

I don't have expert flyer, but I feel like I've seen this type of fare availability when others post award/upgrade fares, not lower priced revenue fares.

Add me to the list that doesn't really feel like SMI's answer was conclusive. I'm cautiously waiting to see how this shakes out.
Old May 19, 2011, 3:52 pm
Company Representative - Delta Air Lines

Programs: SkyMiles
information updated on delta.com

We just posted the updated information on delta.com which can be found here:

Hopefully this clears things up for all.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.