Wiki Posts
Search

Economy Comfort

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2011, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM/HH Diamond/Marriott Silver
Economy Comfort Seats? E+...whatever you want to call it

So I am flying in the back of the bus from ATL-EZE on Saturday. I am curious about the number of 76Ts that have received the new seats and if I might be lucky enough to get one of those planes. I am seated in row 17 just in case...same thing with the return journey on the 9th.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 10:45 am

If you're in row 17 you'll be in economy comfort if the plane has been converted. If 15 A-B or 15 F-G are available I would snag them over row 17.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
If you see row 15 on the seatmap then the plane is not updated. If coach starts at row 16 then it does have EC.

Note: I just flew EZE-ATL yesterday and the plane seat map showed coach starting at row 16 from when I booked the ticket. While DL can, and often does, last minute plane swaps you should be OK. I had row 16 which had a HUGE amount of leg room.

Still pisses me off that DL updates planes and still doesn't put in AVOD or in-seat power for flights that are 10+ hours. Yet you can have all of the amenities on a 1 hour flight.

-RM
Old Mar 29, 2011, 12:57 pm

Programs: DL DM; SPG PLAT
I just flew this route earlier in the month.. with the old J configuration and no EC on the way there.. and the new J config with no EC on the way back..

I really think its hit or miss depending on the equipment type that you get
Old Mar 29, 2011, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
If you see row 15 on the seatmap then the plane is not updated. If coach starts at row 16 then it does have EC.

Note: I just flew EZE-ATL yesterday and the plane seat map showed coach starting at row 16 from when I booked the ticket. While DL can, and often does, last minute plane swaps you should be OK. I had row 16 which had a HUGE amount of leg room.
-RM
Missed that the OP specified 763T. I flew TATL on a converted 763G (ex-Gulf Air) last weekend, and row 15 aisle/window had the extra legroom. Row 14 had center seats only and was a bulkhead with lots of room (but also lots of cut-through traffic for the port-side lav).
Old Mar 29, 2011, 11:38 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hertz PC, Starwood Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Gold
Followup

I am in 21F&G on DL28 May 3. Based on the seat layout this looks like a 767-300 starting a row 16 which means it may have EC. Does anyone know how many rows of EC they are installing on these plans. I really don't want to give up my reclining exit row seats, for a worse seat.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 2:54 pm

Programs: DL PM, GE
I sat in the same row at 21A yesterday on DL28 and i felt that the seat reclined more than before. All seats from 16 to 21 had a new leather cover saying DELTA ECONOMY COMFORT.

It was my first time sitting in EC, if i know for sure the next plane is equipped with that i would choose any of the seats in row 16 as they have way more legroom than the exit rows.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 11:58 pm
mck

Been away and didn't hear about new product, which is good news.

Anyone else think the marketing brand team might not have thought through this? Economy Comfort?? Implies the rest of the Y seats are Economy (not)Comfort?

2cents.

m.
Old May 8, 2011, 5:25 am

Economy Comfort

I was just looking at Delta's new Economy Comfort. I'm fairly disappointed. I think airlines must be run by midgets for them to think this is an "upgrade:"
- Four inches additional legroom
- Recline 50% further

Let's do some quick maths here...

Delta's economy has a 32" pitch, 4" is a 12.5% increase. Economy seats typically recline 3" on to my knees. Thus a 50% increase brings it up to 4.5". So the additional pitch is now down from 4" to 2.5". A 2.5" increase is only a 7.8% increase.

So you want me to pay a lot more for a 7.8% increase in seat pitch and in exchange have to look at the top of the person in front's head? Thanks but no thanks.

How about instead of buying Economy Comfort we all instead put our money into a big pot and start a class action lawsuit against the airlines for discrimination against tall people using EU law?

Do you know what I would pay for... An economy seat where you cannot recline AT ALL. 0% recline. 0% knee crushing pain for 9 hours. Now THAT is worth money to me. Not 50% more invasion of my personal space.
Old May 8, 2011, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Wow, the theme of the week seems to be, "I am tall..." If you do not like your options in Y, then book a J ticket. If you do not want recline, I'm sure Spirit or RyanAir could possibly hook you up...of course, the room between seats to begin with may be less.
Old May 8, 2011, 7:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM (FO soon), A3 Gold, TK Classic Plus, SPG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, National EE
I'm consistently baffled at people who get that worked up over legroom. I'm not a short guy - 6'1" - and I've never experienced anything close to the issues with legroom that the OP describes. Pitch-wise we're in domestic-first territory here

Also, percentages are a fairly dubious way of looking Either the seat intrudes on where you'd prefer to put body parts, or it doesn't. If the difference here is a seat that doesn't recline all the way to your knees vs one that does, it's a big gain for you, regardless of manufactured math. If you want to go with percentages, clearance from knee to seat increases by an infinite percentage.

That's going to make a huge difference in your comfort. An extra inch here or there varies from near-meaningless to near-vital. It's not some percent increase in total legroom that matters, it's what that increase means at the margin to you.

What do you expect, DL to give you a 60 in pitch seat at economy pricing?

I'd actually rather have fewer seats per row with normal pitch. I tend to find standard legroom normally at least adequate as long as there aren't any bulky underseat electronics, but shoulder/elbow room in coach is always a bit iffy. A wider armrest would be most welcome.
Old May 8, 2011, 7:33 am

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
Wow! then do not buy EC seats. No one is forcing you to do so. There are seats on each plane that do not recline. Well if you are filing a lawsuit so am I. I am short and my head does not reach the head rest! I call discrimination!!!
Old May 8, 2011, 8:18 am

Programs: Waffle House DM
I am a cheerless and miserable bar steward and I find the happy-go-lucky energy of Delta FA's to be intensely annoying. You bet there's a law suit coming.
Old May 8, 2011, 9:21 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by UnoriginalGuy

Do you know what I would pay for... An economy seat where you cannot recline AT ALL.
You can get this on every plane and flight you take - the last row.

Personally, I like the idea of Economy Comfort and that I would be able to select it for free. It's better than a traditional Y seat - I am guessing that if anyone had to choose between the two, one would always go EC...
Old May 8, 2011, 9:33 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
It's disingenuous to calculate the percentage increase in pitch this way. You really need to measure the space between the front of one seat and the back of the one in front of it ("leg room") and then see what percentage increase 4" is. While still not astronomical, it will be substantially better.

DL decided that instead of investing in a premium economy product like AF, BA, VS, VA, etc. have, they would follow the KL model of giving some seats more leg room and charging more for it. Time will tell if it works, but I know one thing, it was markedly cheaper for DL at a time when they're making a big investment in replacing their J seats. I'm betting the cost of putting in premium economy would not have paid off quickly enough for DL, plus it would have taken a long time to implement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.