Wiki Posts
Search

Kettle Invasion

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2011, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United - PG, Marriott Silver
Kettle Invasion

First off......I swore I would never use the term "kettle" because I felt it was degrading.....but oh well.

I'm on 1805 DTW/MCO. Apparently this group of a mom, 2 daughters and the grand kid are all headed to see Mickey Mouse. They had some IROPs situation (probably got ejected from some flight) and because they no doubt complained something awful, they were put in F on this flight. The idiot (man I wish I had a name) CSA who dealt with them thought it would be ok to put this clan in 4A/D and 5A/D.
I'm sitting next to the mother, who is sitting in front of child, who is sitting with the sister. The mom is across the aisle from me, and she is working the guy in 4C to join the mile high club as much as the daughter is working me.
The kid is running up and down the aisle like a mad man, the FA (MCO based so used to this crap) is doing her best to keep everyone happy, and I am on my 5th Woodford.

Oh and the guy in 5C has an "emotional comfort animal" or whatever they call them - my allergies are going nuts.

This is how a young professional like me ends up like Thomas Hudson without the sense of humor.
Old May 5, 2011, 6:09 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Gold, Hertz five star
Originally Posted by houserulz77
First off......I swore I would never use the term "kettle" because I felt it was degrading.....but oh well.

I'm on 1805 DTW/MCO. Apparently this group of a mom, 2 daughters and the grand kid are all headed to see Mickey Mouse. They had some IROPs situation (probably got ejected from some flight) and because they no doubt complained something awful, they were put in F on this flight. The idiot (man I wish I had a name) CSA who dealt with them thought it would be ok to put this clan in 4A/D and 5A/D.
I'm sitting next to the mother, who is sitting in front of child, who is sitting with the sister. The mom is across the aisle from me, and she is working the guy in 4C to join the mile high club as much as the daughter is working me.
The kid is running up and down the aisle like a mad man, the FA (MCO based so used to this crap) is doing her best to keep everyone happy, and I am on my 5th Woodford.

Oh and the guy in 5C has an "emotional comfort animal" or whatever they call them - my allergies are going nuts.

This is how a young professional like me ends up like Thomas Hudson without the sense of humor.
I'm like you and really thought the term was somewhat degrading (I know it's used somewhat in jest), by my opinion changed as well on a recent, very delayed, LIT to ATL flight.

I normally dont get in on the discussions of "do kids belong in F or in the Sky Club," because as a kid I was lucky enough to ride F and go into the SC every time I flew. However, I honestly didn't act out because I knew that traveling with my parents was one of those times I had to be on my BEST BEHAVIOR. My mom always brought lots of stuff to keep me occupied and I always felt somewhat special getting to ride up front.

On my recent flight I had was in F and there was a family in F on a very early morning LIT to ATL flight. There were 4 adults and 2 lap children in total. We were on the plane a total of 4 hours for the flight and I swear by thirty minutes in I was trying to figure out a way to end my misery. Between people constantly kicking my seat and kids SCREAMING I couldnt take it. Halfway through the actual flight (significant ground delay) I ended up getting up and asking the FA permission to move back into couch as it was fairly empty and the entire bulkhead was free. It was my single worst experience on a plane....EVER.
Old May 5, 2011, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United - PG, Marriott Silver
After I posted my first message, the grandmother got into it with the purser because the purser had the nerve to ask the child to not run up and down the aisle. Then the child was sitting in the grandmother's lap and repeatedly kicking my chair. I asked if the child could stop and the grandmother's response was (not making this up), "Shut up and have another drink ........"

I bit my tounge and the purser apologized profusely when we landed. I made sure to, as angry as I was, send a compliment using the online form, because I am sure one of these gutter-bums will make a stink about their awful treatment. I have flown in Y a lot more than I have in F, and this was still, easily, the most uncomfortable flight I have ever had on DL. None the less, the FAs tried as hard as they could to make it comfortable....I commend them for that, and chalk the rest up as some people simply having no manners.
Old May 5, 2011, 7:12 pm

Programs: GM, GHilton
I was recently flying home to MCO and kids were running up and down the aisle. When the FA asked I needed anything I said Yes! some turbulence so the pilot will turn the seatbelt sign back on as I looked over at one of the kids.

She got on the phone to the cockpit and the next thing you know the seatbelt light came on and the pilot asked everyone to be seated. The FA looked at me and winked.
Old May 5, 2011, 7:19 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Maybe I'm just not hip to the lingo, but I think there's a different between "kettle" (i.e. a person who's not a FF and rides in coach) and an "ignorant buffoon".

These people are the latter.
Old May 5, 2011, 7:22 pm

Location: NY by birth, BNA by choice - soon YXE, the SKY by virtue.
as much as the daughter is working me.
Pics, please!
Old May 5, 2011, 7:27 pm

Programs: DL, Hyatt, National
I grew up in the Orlando area and after 22 years I ran away and never looked back. I would do anything I could to avoid flying into Orlando. I remember when it was the OLD airpot off 50 - thats what - 30 years ago or something.

Orlando made me hate lines.

Daytona isn't that far away - like an hour - if you can get service on Delta there - or Tampa, hell I would fly to Miami and drive up there just to avoid kids.
Old May 5, 2011, 7:48 pm

Was flying FLL-MSP for some reason but watched from my lovely window seat as some 5 yo ran up and down the aisle to see Daddy in the window seat in front of me. FA told the kid to sit down as we had quite a bit of choppy turbulence. The dad got angry with the FA and the FA invited the Dad into her "office" aka the galley, instead the passenger sitting next to Dad got up to go to the "office" and I got to listen to the FA scold the Dad. Pretty entertaining.

By the way, from what I understand, the kid was sitting next to Mom.
Old May 5, 2011, 7:52 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
And I thought the circus going on behind me in Y on my LGA-MCO flight tonight was bad!!!
Old May 5, 2011, 8:25 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

IMHO, speaking as a "private poster," a post or thread can lose a degree of credibility when boasting about being on his "5th Woodford."
Old May 5, 2011, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by obscure2k
"5th Woodford."
I'm surprised there were that many little bottles on board
Old May 5, 2011, 8:45 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
IMHO, speaking as a "private poster," a post or thread can lose a degree of credibility when boasting about being on his "5th Woodford."
not in the DL forum

(as long as you don't get cut off)
Old May 5, 2011, 8:52 pm

Programs: TK CP, Lapsed DL FO, Mr. <3Vacations Free Rider, Numerous programs
Originally Posted by Tibs

Daytona isn't that far away - like an hour - if you can get service on Delta there - or Tampa, hell I would fly to Miami and drive up there just to avoid kids.
MLB is only an hour away, and it maybe my favorite airport of all time.
Old May 5, 2011, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA lifetime Gold , DL Gold, Hilton Diamond
If that grandmother mouthed off to me because she refused to stop the kid from kicking my seat back, it would have called over the FA, and in front of grandma asked the FA to have a police officer meet the airplane when it lands because I want to file a disorderly conduct complaint against grandma.

I highly doubt the FA would go ahead and ask for a police officer, but maybe the threat alone would have been enough to control her grandchild.

Mr. Elliott
Old May 5, 2011, 9:09 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
a post or thread can lose a degree of credibility when boasting about being on his "5th Woodford."
My thoughts exactly when I read the first post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.