Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fare break and SDC?

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2011, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Fare break and SDC?

I tried posting this in the commonly asked questions for SDC thread, but am afraid it's going to get lost in the shuffle over there... Once it's answered, mods please feel free to merge.

I'm currently booked:
SFO-DTW-JFK-BOS, with SFO-DTW-JFK in T and JFK-BOS in K.

Is it possible for me to SDC instead to:
SFO-JFK-BOS?

If so, would I be able to do that all at T-3 for the SFO-JFK flight? Or can I only SDC for SFO-JFK and then do a separate SDC when I arrive in JFK for travel to BOS?

This involves a redeye, so I think that there may be issues with the JFK-BOS leg being for a different date than the SFO-JFK leg.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old May 2, 2011, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I don't think you will have issues with SFO-JFK, as that is all one fare component (as long as that fare component allows SFO-JFK direct). Not sure about JFK-BOS, but I think you should be able to do that one too at T-3 for SFO-JFK, as you're really just flying SFO-BOS with two connections. On most flights with connections you can do SDC for all flights (including the connections) at T-3 before departure of the initial segment. I would think the fare break doesn't matter in that respect, and you're still complying with the routing rules of the individual fares, so this should be successful.
Old May 2, 2011, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Great thanks! I was assuming that SFO-JFK shouldn't be a problem, but was hoping that if the latter flight (JFK-BOS) could not yet be handled that that wouldn't cause an invalid connection issue (>4hrs).

Any other insight/experience is appreciated .
Old May 2, 2011, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Also try calling the DM line the day of, not waiting until just 3hrs before... it seems that there may be some flexibility allowed where agents are letting DMs do a true SDC and not having to wait until 3hrs before.
Old May 2, 2011, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Curious to know how this works out... please let us know the results
Old May 2, 2011, 1:27 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by GBadger
Great thanks! I was assuming that SFO-JFK shouldn't be a problem, but was hoping that if the latter flight (JFK-BOS) could not yet be handled that that wouldn't cause an invalid connection issue (>4hrs).

Any other insight/experience is appreciated .
Technically, you wouldn't be able to Same Day Change the entire itinerary.

However, remember, if the fare is broken, you don't have to worry about an invalid connection over 4 hrs, because it's not a connection!

So as long as you feel comfortable with it, you could SDC SFO-JFK then do JFK-BOS in the morning, even if your connection would not be valid in the interim.
Old May 2, 2011, 1:28 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by SamOF
Technically, you wouldn't be able to Same Day Change the entire itinerary.
Btw, I say "technically" because I've never had an agent hassle me about an SDC that involved a fare break—even if you can't over the phone, I can't imagine you'd be denied at the airport.
Old May 2, 2011, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why would you not be able to SDC the entire SFO-BOS at once? If you asked for SFO-BOS and DL.com constructed it the way it did, why should it matter that it is constructed from two separate fare components (other than the fact that this would allow greater than 4 hours between JFK-BOS if you wanted)?
Old May 2, 2011, 2:03 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by javabytes
Why would you not be able to SDC the entire SFO-BOS at once? If you asked for SFO-BOS and DL.com constructed it the way it did, why should it matter that it is constructed from two separate fare components (other than the fact that this would allow greater than 4 hours between JFK-BOS if you wanted)?
It wouldn't matter for this, since there's no DL SFO-BOS non-stop. However, if you got, say, LAX-IND-ATL as two separate fare components, the SDC rules wouldn't allow a change to the LAX-ATL non-stop since your fare requires going to IND.
Old May 2, 2011, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mtkeller
It wouldn't matter for this, since there's no DL SFO-BOS non-stop. However, if you got, say, LAX-IND-ATL as two separate fare components, the SDC rules wouldn't allow a change to the LAX-ATL non-stop since your fare requires going to IND.
Right... I'm aware that the original routing rules have to hold, which in OP's case sounds like it true. My comment was about the possibility of not being able to SDC for the entire itinerary at once (specifically concerning the JFK-BOS segment) at T-3 before the initial departure from SFO just because of the fare break.
Old May 2, 2011, 2:16 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by javabytes
Right... I'm aware that the original routing rules have to hold, which in OP's case sounds like it true. My comment was about the possibility of not being able to SDC for the entire itinerary at once (specifically concerning the JFK-BOS segment) at T-3 before the initial departure from SFO just because of the fare break.
I guess the issue is the sometimes vague rules. All on one PNR, it seems it should be treated as a connection and allow SDC, but this is DL, so who knows for sure.
Old May 2, 2011, 3:15 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
I have never had an issue with multiple connections with different fare segments. 3-plus before the first flight and was confirmed all the way through each time. Of course, I already checked out availability through FlightStats so I knew it would work. I never leave it to chance.
Old May 2, 2011, 3:27 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by tvnwz
I have never had an issue with multiple connections with different fare segments.
Neither have I, and I do this several times a month. I always book the least expensive fare, even if it involves multiple flights, and SDC to the most direct route. In the past several years, the only problem I've run into was once, and only once, I couldn't get on the more direct route and had to fly the three segments booked because the direct flight was oversold. (Which explained why it was so expensive two days earlier when I booked.)

I've been able to SDC even when the last leg was purchased later as an "Add a Segment" to the trip. The only time DL has denied the request was when there were only F seats left and I was booked in a Y ticket, but even then, I have been able to SB.
Old May 2, 2011, 3:57 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
Originally Posted by CJKatl
The only time DL has denied the request was when there were only F seats left and I was booked in a Y ticket, but even then, I have been able to SB.
And I talked my way into that one once because I would have been #1 on the upgrade list and she slid me right into the seat.
Old May 2, 2011, 4:04 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by tvnwz
And I talked my way into that one once because I would have been #1 on the upgrade list and she slid me right into the seat.
I've talked my way into this at the airport, but didn't have success over the phone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.