Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Gold expiring - any challenges etc right now?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2011, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond 1MM, Marriott Plat

My Gold status is about to expire (today) and I'll be a lowly Silver again, which I have found makes a truly huge difference when flying.

I will probably earn back Gold eventually, the slow way (via already planned travel throughout the year), but I'm wondering if anybody has gotten any kind of offers from Delta, to retain their status by flying a certain number of miles within a shorter timeframe, etc.? Do status retention/fasttrack offers like that still exist? I'm at 19k MQMs so far, including last year's rollovers.

I also had a pretty awful ordeal with baggage delay/damage on my last flight, I still haven't filed my report with receipts etc, and so I'm also asking if anybody knows, would I be able to ask them for Gold status extension in my sob story about my destroyed stuff? Do they ever extend such a courtesy, or would I be wasting my breath?

Would it help if I booked a bunch of my future flights now, so that my comittment to Delta is evidenced? Or would not planning anything, because of my lost status, be a better strategy?

(Please excuse me if my question has already been asked & answered, I searched around for a while before posting and haven't seen my particular question - at least not for 2011, and I'm assuming the offers and practices have changed since a few years ago.)

Sorry if I sound...entitled. I know how sensitive people are here when posters ask for handouts. Please go easy on me. If I have to just fly and fly and fly, I probably just will. Thanks
Old Feb 28, 2011, 2:36 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
fly! or do a credit card offer, they are not going to give you status due to a luggage issue
Old Feb 28, 2011, 2:39 pm

With rollover MQMs in effect, it seems highly unlikely that they would offer such a challenge.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 2:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by marcworld
My Gold status is about to expire (today) and I'll be a lowly Silver again, which I have found makes a truly huge difference when flying.

I will probably earn back Gold eventually, the slow way (via already planned travel throughout the year), but I'm wondering if anybody has gotten any kind of offers from Delta, to retain their status by flying a certain number of miles within a shorter timeframe, etc.? Do status retention/fasttrack offers like that still exist? I'm at 19k MQMs so far, including last year's rollovers.

I also had a pretty awful ordeal with baggage delay/damage on my last flight, I still haven't filed my report with receipts etc, and so I'm also asking if anybody knows, would I be able to ask them for Gold status extension in my sob story about my destroyed stuff? Do they ever extend such a courtesy, or would I be wasting my breath?

Would it help if I booked a bunch of my future flights now, so that my comittment to Delta is evidenced? Or would not planning anything, because of my lost status, be a better strategy?

(Please excuse me if my question has already been asked & answered, I searched around for a while before posting and haven't seen my particular question - at least not for 2011, and I'm assuming the offers and practices have changed since a few years ago.)

Sorry if I sound...entitled. I know how sensitive people are here when posters ask for handouts. Please go easy on me. If I have to just fly and fly and fly, I probably just will. Thanks
Get a an almost INSTANT 25k MQM this way:

http://frugaltravelguy.com/

Read todays post.

Then a quick trip and you are back at GOLD!
Old Mar 1, 2011, 6:29 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Originally Posted by deltagoldflyer
Get a an almost INSTANT 25k MQM this way:

http://frugaltravelguy.com/

Read todays post.

Then a quick trip and you are back at GOLD!
I followed Frugaltravelguy's link to the Platinum Amex application and after logging in, I get this:
"We apologize that the offer you are looking for may no longer be available."
After searching around the Amex site, I was able to get through to an application. However, on this application page there's no mention of the 50K MR bonus after the first $1,000 spend. Before I drop $450 on card fees, I want to be sure the 50K MR bonus is going to be issued.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 6:34 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
You've got to find a link that will get you an application that offers the 50K MR bonus. If you already have another AmEx card, the best thing to do is clear cookies and cache and then try to find AmEx Platinum offers. (Or just fire up a different browser (I normally use Firefox but applied from Safari).) There's a big thread on this in the AmEx forum, too, and I think there are some functioning links in the last few pages there.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 7:31 am
Suspended

45K MQM and get PAID!

Originally Posted by plagwate
I followed Frugaltravelguy's link to the Platinum Amex application and after logging in, I get this:
"We apologize that the offer you are looking for may no longer be available."
After searching around the Amex site, I was able to get through to an application. However, on this application page there's no mention of the 50K MR bonus after the first $1,000 spend. Before I drop $450 on card fees, I want to be sure the 50K MR bonus is going to be issued.
Yep I see it fine. Clear cache!

If you do the AMEX MR and then also this one:

http://www201.americanexpress.com/sb...nnels&lpid=325

You will pay out $600 in fee's and EARN $1000 in AMEX GIFT card ie CASH!

If you spend $25000 on the card you earn 10k MQM's (hello MINT COINS).

You can buy a ticket to say PARIS for under $1000 and earn 10K MQM and thus you get:

GOLD STATUS FOR FREE this way!

^^^^^
Old Mar 1, 2011, 11:38 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Thanks mtkeller and deltagoldflyer. I've cleared my cookies (despite all the Girl Scouts in front of our local Walmart...HA, I kill me! Anyway...) but the only 50K bonus MR promotion I get stipulates that it's for new Amex customers only. I'm currently holding a DL Amex Platinum. Any way around this? I'm also weeding through the Amex forum for guidance.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 8:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by plagwate
Thanks mtkeller and deltagoldflyer. I've cleared my cookies (despite all the Girl Scouts in front of our local Walmart...HA, I kill me! Anyway...) but the only 50K bonus MR promotion I get stipulates that it's for new Amex customers only. I'm currently holding a DL Amex Platinum. Any way around this? I'm also weeding through the Amex forum for guidance.
YMMV but you should be good on the MR. The DELTA branded AMEX had nothing to do with the MR AMEX. I hold about 12 AMEX card right now!

On the DELTA AMEX no love. You will have to pony up and do the $450 RESERVE card. You will get I think 5k for upgrade from PLAT to RESERVE and then with some US MINT help you can charge 30k this year and get the extra 15k MQM. Thus you net out 45k total MQM from these two cards. Then with a little 5k flying you have your GOLD for 2012!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.