Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

After tomorrow all DL CAI (Egypt) traffic suspended due to civil unrest

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2011, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond

DL 85 will depart at 10:30 AM Jan 29 and all other traffic suspended indefinitely.

Last edited by RSSrsvp; Jan 28, 2011 at 5:29 pm Reason: Added Egypt to the title for those that wouldn't understand the CAI airport code
Old Jan 28, 2011, 1:03 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by indufan
DL 85 will depart at 10:30 AM Jan 29 and all other traffic suspended indefinitely.
Actually DL84 tonight JFK-CAI and DL85 tomorrow CAI-JFK are both already canceled.

And one can book JFK-CAI for Sunday Jan 30th through reservation systems so that seems strange if traffic is "suspended indefinitely." Would be nice for DL to inform the outlets that sell their flights!
Old Jan 28, 2011, 1:28 pm

DL suspends service CAI

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Delta-....html?x=0&.v=2

ATLANTA (Reuters) - Delta Air Lines Inc has suspended service to Cairo indefinitely as a result of the civil unrest in Egypt, the U.S. carrier said on its Twitter site on Friday. A company representative confirmed the move.

The carrier added its last flight will leave Cairo on January 29 and the resumption of service was to be determined.

The State Department has advised U.S. citizens to postpone nonessential travel to Egypt amid widespread protests demanding the resignation of President Hosni Mubarak.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 1:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
was only a matter time. the flight went out packed to the gills every night. The civil unrest in Cairo has also hugely impacted the stock market.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
On Monday (1/24), I sat in a JFK SC with a small group of country club-esque housewives who were on their way to Egypt for a week long vacation including a cruise on the Nile. God knows what they're going through currently, but they're going to learn about a very different kind of IRROPS when trying to get out.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 1:37 pm

Programs: CO PresPlat, UA GS, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Fairmont Premier, BA Silver, AVIS PresCircle
A colleague (US CItizen) is in Cairo now, was supposed to fly out tomorrow, saturday back. Had tried to change to today or yesterday, but all were lready full.

ANyone have any idea what Delta wants those with tickets and the need to come back should do?

Phone service is nearly impossible, so we're trying to get plans in advance for our friend for the rare instance w can reach him to give him guidance. he can't access internet or call ut there, we get lucky and sometimes get a call into him, land line only, no cell phone....
Old Jan 28, 2011, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fti
Actually DL84 tonight JFK-CAI and DL85 tomorrow CAI-JFK are both already canceled.
It's DL 85 for today that is delayed until tomorrow.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 1:47 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cbechdel
A colleague (US CItizen) is in Cairo now, was supposed to fly out tomorrow, saturday back. Had tried to change to today or yesterday, but all were lready full.

ANyone have any idea what Delta wants those with tickets and the need to come back should do?

Phone service is nearly impossible, so we're trying to get plans in advance for our friend for the rare instance w can reach him to give him guidance. he can't access internet or call ut there, we get lucky and sometimes get a call into him, land line only, no cell phone....
He could look into KLM or AF to AMS or CDG. Could also look at flying from CAI-DXB or AMM and getting the Delta flights from there.

If nothing is available out of Cairo I would look into going to Sharm and looking for any flight to Europe/Jordan/UAE.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Unfortunately, they are strucks at the airports due to violence in Egypt. I do not appreciate it for the behavioral. IT was too many problems in Cairo, Egypt. They are very vulnerable and it was trying to stops throw the rocks and explosives into the store. It should wait for settles down and try to controlled the behaviors. I am afraid the flight will be cancelled until the further notice. There is lots of the Egyptians police is on the streets and they will have more spray on those people and try to stops the violence. This is unacceptable for the behaviors and they doesn't have a chance to changes the behavioral.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 1:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
This irritates me.

Most international carriers carry on unless the situation is wildly out of control. In the midst of the iranian revolution BA, SR, LH, PA and all the regional carriers kept flying. Even during the Lebanon civil wars there has been very limited flight cessation.

I understand the risks, but I do think the US carriers listen to the fear-mongerers at the US State Department rather too much.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 2:01 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else

Presumably he's in touch with the embassy as well. If things start going too far downhill, I imagine the embassy will start figuring out ways to help US citizens who need to get out. The British Foreign & Commonwealth Office has not yet called for UK citizens to leave Egypt, while they did so very early on in the Tunisia situation. (For various reasons, I follow @foreignoffice on Twitter but don't have any US State Dept accounts in my timeline.)
Old Jan 28, 2011, 2:02 pm

Programs: CO PresPlat, UA GS, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Fairmont Premier, BA Silver, AVIS PresCircle
We got him rebooked on Airfrance via Paris leaving Sunday instead of saturday.

BA has also suspended flights, but may resume tomorrow, they "postponed" tonights flight, mostly due to the curfew hours.

Remember any flight arriving/departing 6pm to 7am has issues with people getting to/from the airport....which affects the flight schedules.

FOxNews just reported ALL flights in and out of cairo are suspended, not just Delta. EgyptAir suspended earlier today - maybe the started the whole flight cancellation issue. I don't have issue with delta cancelling....who really wants to go there now anyway.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jbcarioca
I understand the risks, but I do think the US carriers listen to the fear-mongerers at the US State Department rather too much.
A more rational concern would be that Delta doesn't want to do crew overnights, taking staff off-airport, a problem that regional carriers can easily avoid.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 2:04 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles FO, Marriott Rewards, Hilton HHonors, Hertz #1 Club Gold
A cessation of this magnitude is going to affect a lot of pax. There goes the need for 2 76T as well, I wonder what DL will do with these birds in the mean time since JFK-AMM is really the only other route that "needs" 12+ hour config (JFK/ATL-ACC operated without the 76T when they used to be on JFK-TLV/CAI/AMM exclusively which utilized the whole subfleet)...
Old Jan 28, 2011, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jbcarioca
This irritates me.

Most international carriers carry on unless the situation is wildly out of control. In the midst of the iranian revolution BA, SR, LH, PA and all the regional carriers kept flying. Even during the Lebanon civil wars there has been very limited flight cessation.

So much for that theory.
FOxNews just reported ALL flights in and out of cairo are suspended, not just Delta.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.