Wiki Posts
Search

Flying DTW to LGA Unaccompanied On DL

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2011, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, Free Spirit
Flying DTW to LGA Unaccompanied On DL

Hey I'm new to the forum. I'm gonna be flying from Detroit Metro Airport to New York-LaGaurdia this June by myself and I'm 15. Does anyone have any advice?

Note- I'm gonna be flying Delta direct without an unnaccompanied minor service.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 8:46 pm

Programs: air miles, IHG, Hilton
It might be a good idea to have a parent or other adult with you while you check in, in case there is a question about your ability to travel alone. You should probably also have a letter with you from a parent or guardian statiing that you will be met in New York (I hope you will be met!?!) and by whom - including address and phone number (this will be handy if you forget any of the information, too).

Otherwise, just follow the signs, ask for help/direction if you need them and don't argue with the security people! Have a good trip!
Old Jan 13, 2011, 9:35 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
FirstFlyer1415, welcome to FT!

We've clarified your thread title and are moving it to the Delta Forum.

Best of luck on the upcoming flight.

Cholula
TS/S Co-Moderator
Old Jan 13, 2011, 9:38 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by FirstFlyer1415
Hey I'm new to the forum. I'm gonna be flying from Detroit Metro Airport to New York-LaGaurdia this June by myself and I'm 15. Does anyone have any advice?

Welcome to FT; we've got lots of advice. What specific things would you like to know? Questions about getting through the airports, when to arrive, what to pack or not pack, about getting through security, about the flight itself?
Old Jan 13, 2011, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mimsky987
It might be a good idea to have a parent or other adult with you while you check in, in case there is a question about your ability to travel alone. You should probably also have a letter with you from a parent or guardian statiing that you will be met in New York (I hope you will be met!?!) and by whom - including address and phone number (this will be handy if you forget any of the information, too).

Otherwise, just follow the signs, ask for help/direction if you need them and don't argue with the security people! Have a good trip!
Yes I will be met in New York by my cousin. Actually I'm planning on doing self check-in at the electronic kiosk. I have her phone number, but I'll need to get her address. Thanks for the info!
Old Jan 13, 2011, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RadioGirl
Welcome to FT; we've got lots of advice. What specific things would you like to know? Questions about getting through the airports, when to arrive, what to pack or not pack, about getting through security, about the flight itself?
Actually as this is my first solo flight information on all topics listed would be helpful.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 10:20 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Check with N369DL who is the same age as you.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 6:36 am

Programs: - DL DM, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Vuelos
Check with N369DL who is the same age as you.
Be careful Vuelos ! It would be nice if a FTer was able to look out for First Flyer to offer him a friendly face but sadly these days it would obably result in FT getting shut down for "grooming" or the FTer getting arrested for corrupting a minor or something.

Obviously as a lawyer ... and before I get flamed ... I KNOW that sort of thing is in response to genuine threats to child welfare, but a bit of common sense and human compassion would be nice. Hey ho.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 9:00 am
Suspended

This is not the travel safety forum, it is the Delta SkyMiles forum. So here is my advice.

Be sure to enter your Delta SkyMiles number into your reservation. If you don't have a Delta SkyMiles number, sign up prior to your trip. Examine your boarding pass and make sure it is properly displayed on your boarding pass.

If you do this each time you fly, you will eventually be able to redeem your miles for reward travel (although this will be more difficult on Delta than on any other airline).
Old Jan 14, 2011, 11:42 am

Programs: Charter Member Delta Diamond Medallion, Lifetime AA Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hilton & Marriott Gold
Request an exit row

Originally Posted by FirstFlyer1415
Does anyone have any advice?

Here is some of my advice:

1. Request an exit row seat with a reclining seat. You will get more leg room. At 15 years old, you may now qualify for exit row seating if you have the ability to read and understand instructions and other requirements as defined by section 121.585 of the FAA regulations.

2. If you receive a "HAVE ONE ON US" coupon when printing your boarding pass, ask a flight attendant if you can use it for a yummy Delta non-perishable snack box.

3. As Delta only takes "plastic money" like credit cards while enroute, take additional snacks with you.

4. Register for a SkyMiles account if you don't already have one (I see you do).

5. If your flight gets significantly delayed or you feel lost in the Delta section of the airport, ask to speak to with a "Red Coat". These are the Delta employees wearing the same color jacket as Santa Claus. They will assist you.

6. You will take your shoes off and send them through the x-ray when clearing TSA security as you enter the airport. Please wear your socks.

7. Keep your shoes on if using the lavatory on your flight. Do not walk barefooted in the aisle.

8. Arrive at least two hours before flight time. Be at your departure gate before the boarding time on your boarding pass. That is usually 30-45 minutes before a domestic flight. Do not throw away your boarding pass after clearing security. You will need this document to board your flight. Your departure gate may have changed from what was printed on your boarding pass. Always check the monitors in the airport and verify you are at the correct gate with the uniformed gate agent.

9. Before leaving for the airport, check to make sure your flight(s) are scheduled to depart and arrive on-time. It is also important to know the current weather at the departure and arrival destinations.

10. If you have an entertainment system on your flight in back of the seat in front of you, be sure to press lightly, so you will not disturb the person in the seat in front of you.

11. If you bring a Gameboy, Play Station or other entertainment system with you, please use your headphones so you will not disturb adjacent passengers. Always follow the flight attendants instructions regarding when you can use electronic devices.

12. The flight attendants are there for your safety. Once again, always follow flight attendant instructions. Keep your seat belt fastened when seated.

13. You maybe arriving in a different time zone. Wear a wrist watch and be sure to change it to the "local" time on arrival if necessary.

14. Print out this list and take it with you on your flight for guidance. Ask the flight attendants if anything else should be added to this list and report back to us here at FlyerTalk.

15. Enjoy your flight. Delta Airlines will get you there with care.

16. Welcome to FlyerTalk.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 11:49 am

Programs: MR Lifetime Titanium, United Silver
Here's some basic things to remember:

CHECKING IN
  • Definitely sign up for the SkyMiles program and earn miles for your flight.
  • Check in at least 1 hour before your flight at the airport. You can also check in online and pre-print your boarding pass. This will save you a little bit of time.
  • If you're checking bags, get there a little bit earlier to check your bag in at the desk. There can be a line for this, too, so give yourself extra time.

SECURITY
  • You will need a state issued ID to get through security with your boarding pass. You're not old enough for a drivers' license, but if you have a general state ID, it will work.
  • Give yourself about 15-20 minutes to get through security. Depending on the time of day, it can get backed up in DTW. Play it safe on your first trip.
  • You will need to take off all coats and jackets, belts, shoes, things out of your pocket for security. Also remove the laptop from the bag if you have one and place it in a bin by itself. You are allowed only small (less than 3oz) liquids in a ziplock 1 quart bag.

FLIGHT
  • Get to your gate at least 45 minutes before it is scheduled to leave. They usually board around 30-45 minutes before that departure time.
  • On your boarding pass will be a "Zone". They board by zone (starting with 1, then 2, then 3, then 4). Board when your zone is called.
  • You can take 1 carryon and 1 personal item (backpack, laptop, purse, etc).
  • You won't need to show your ID to board (only security); so just have your boarding pass on you and board.

Last edited by MemphisQueen; Jan 14, 2011 at 1:38 pm
Old Jan 14, 2011, 11:53 am

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by TATL lawyer
Be careful Vuelos ! It would be nice if a FTer was able to look out for First Flyer to offer him a friendly face but sadly these days it would obably result in FT getting shut down for "grooming" or the FTer getting arrested for corrupting a minor or something.

Obviously as a lawyer ... and before I get flamed ... I KNOW that sort of thing is in response to genuine threats to child welfare, but a bit of common sense and human compassion would be nice. Hey ho.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 12:04 pm

Programs: Delta Gold
Some sort of ID is helpful, but it's not required for people under age 18 for domestic air travel. In other words, if you're 15, you don't have to go out and get a state ID or passport in order to fly.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

I already am a SkyMiles member, yet I only have about 1,000 due to my recent trip to Florida. I plan to do self check-in at the electronic kiosk at the delta desk.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 8:57 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott PPE,
Originally Posted by daregale
Some sort of ID is helpful, but it's not required for people under age 18 for domestic air travel. In other words, if you're 15, you don't have to go out and get a state ID or passport in order to fly.
I was just going to mention the same thing. It is better if you have some form of an id with you, whether it is a school id, or a state non-driver's id. Especially if you look considerably older than your age. My son looks 20 yrs old, is 6'1", but he just turned 16. Even though my "authoritative" attitude ensures acceptance by TSA when we travel together, I doubt they would allow him to enter airside easily without an id. A state non-driver's id is usually $20 and can be obtained very easily from your local DMV and will be useful to you for anything, from taking college board tests to other thins and you do not need to carry your passport, or rush for a driver's license if you do not want to.

Also, carry some extra cash with you, as well as a credit card as you never know what might happen when travelling. If you feel uncomfortable with whatever the person next to you is doing, do not hesitate to get up and go tell a flight attendant. Do not be afraid. They will be happy to help you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.