Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Did LAX and ATL airports move 5 miles closer?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Did LAX and ATL airports move 5 miles closer?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2011, 1:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Question Did LAX and ATL airports move 5 miles closer?

Just noticed LAX-ATL flight tomorrow gives 1941 miles. Yet the segment I flew last month was 1946 miles. Going back in my account summary to 2009 shows it was 1947 miles then.

Someone explain this to me please.

I want my 6 (+ medallion bonus) miles back!
Old Jan 9, 2011, 1:32 am

Originally Posted by amolkold
Just noticed LAX-ATL flight tomorrow gives 1941 miles. Yet the segment I flew last month was 1946 miles. Going back in my account summary to 2009 shows it was 1947 miles then.

Someone explain this to me please.

I want my 6 (+ medallion bonus) miles back!
Yes and MIA moved 20 miles away....
Old Jan 9, 2011, 2:08 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
It's those earthquakes we keep having
Old Jan 9, 2011, 3:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
It's those earthquakes we keep having
Can't they push us westward???
Old Jan 9, 2011, 6:38 am

They probably changed the software for doing the calculations. There are two things that could cause differences, which might even account for the two changes you saw if they changed each at different times.

The first is fairly understandable: the database listing the exact spot on the earth's surface where the airport is was updated. Airports are pretty big so moving the surveyed location could easily change the calculations by a mile or two.

The second would be if they changed the reference datum for the earth. The earth isn't a perfect sphere, so an ellipsoid is used. But it isn't a perfect ellipsoid either, so you have to map the earths surface onto an ellipsoid to do distance calculations. A very typical reference datum to use is the WGS 84 datum. The FlyerTalk favorite Great Circle mapper uses this datum. But, maybe Delta changed their datum.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 6:57 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
They keep adding Run ways, so yes they are closer.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by troyintn
They keep adding Run ways, so yes they are closer.
I'm not sure if this was a joke, but it is almost certainly not the explanation. ATL and LAX both have east-west aligned runways. So they'd have to have extended the runways (considerably) to move the airport survey point by 5 miles.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 7:24 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM
Clearly, on one flight you took off to the east and the other to the west... ;-)

-=tg=-
Old Jan 9, 2011, 7:26 am

http://gc.kls2.com/cgi-bin/gc?PATH=k...avy&MAP-STYLE=

This uses the GPS coordinates with the official Airport Reference Points.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 7:50 am

Programs: riding the lifetime status. DL MM / AA MM
if you are in the process of booking a flight in the future, and click on the flight number for details, it still says 1946 for ATL-LAX. but, if you look at flight status for a current flight, it says 1941.

looking at something the other direction from ATL -- BOS-ATL is 944 in flight status, and regularly posts at 946. this has been the case for some time..

Last edited by Seat1A; Jan 9, 2011 at 8:20 am
Old Jan 9, 2011, 7:56 am

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Dia, Avis Pres Club
I hope PVD does not move any closer to ATL because we will loose meal service it is currently 903 or 902 miles.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 9:02 am

Programs: Delta FO
Aren't there official distances used and shared by all carriers for things like maximum permissible miles calculations? I recall looking these up on KVS, and they don't necessarily equal the mileage given in frequent flyer programs.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by amolkold
Can't they push us westward???
Unfortunately it is Tectonic Subduction at work here. In 200,000 years ATL will be to LAX what SNA is today. Much quicker flights though.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
I am actually shocked some up and coming accountant has not sold "rounding down" to the powers that be at all the airlines. Just shaving 10 miles from a route has a return of $$$$$$millions across the FF program over a few years.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
ssssssssssssshhhh. be VERY quiet .......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.