Wiki Posts
Search

Skymiles gets even worse

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2010, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL MM Plat, PC&HH Gold
Angry Skymiles gets even worse

Delta recently (within the past few weeks) changed their rules for booking Skymiles tickets. Online you would only get Diamond availability if you check you are travelling, you could then call the Diamond line and get the flight for someone else no problem.

Now... they won't do it at the call center either. Totally infuriating. What a horrible program this is.

Anyone know of any workarounds ?
Old Jun 3, 2010, 11:57 am

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by doglover
Delta recently (within the past few weeks) changed their rules for booking Skymiles tickets. Online you would only get Diamond availability if you check you are travelling, you could then call the Diamond line and get the flight for someone else no problem.

Now... they won't do it at the call center either. Totally infuriating. What a horrible program this is.

Great news. Unless the DM is flying with the other person they should not be getting DM availability. Glad to hear they have closed the loop hole.

Thanks for the good news!
Old Jun 3, 2010, 11:58 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer

You're in PDX and still flying DL? Shouldn't you be on AS?
Old Jun 3, 2010, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by longing4piedmont
Great news. Unless the DM is flying with the other person they should not be getting DM availability. Glad to hear they have closed the loop hole.

I agree - DM availability should be for DM's and their companions when DM's travel - not also for people who just happen to know or be related to a DM.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 12:04 pm

Sounds like you talked to a bad agent, got the DM avail yesterday (and a fun override when I booked a 5 min connect @ ATL accidentally).
Old Jun 3, 2010, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by dickinson
I agree - DM availability should be for DM's and their companions when DM's travel - not also for people who just happen to know or be related to a DM.
I agree partially. if the miles are from the DM's account, they should get that availability. I don't want to use miles on myself, I want to cut the vacation cost down.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
This is much older than a few weeks ago. I'm almost sure this became policy when Diamond started on March 1.

I called in mid March for an award ticket for a family member. The agent asked if I was flying. I said no. She said availability is no longer based on my status but for a "general member", even though I was using my miles.

And literally a flight that had low availability went away as soon as she found out it wasn't me who was flying.

-RM
Old Jun 3, 2010, 12:10 pm

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Yes. Fly on the itinerary.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by WBurcham
I agree partially. if the miles are from the DM's account, they should get that availability. I don't want to use miles on myself, I want to cut the vacation cost down.
I agree if DM is flying there should be no problem with using the miles for the companion of the DM, rather than on the DM himself or herself.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 12:16 pm

Personally I like this feature, but to answer your question: why don't you just book two seats, split the record and cancel/redeposit the miles for your ticket.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL MM Plat, PC&HH Gold
Originally Posted by El Boocho
Personally I like this feature, but to answer your question: why don't you just book two seats, split the record and cancel/redeposit the miles for your ticket.
Because this is Delta who only releases one seat at low miles - even for Diamond availability.

I can find 2 for odd itineraries bouncing from airport to airport.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 12:50 pm

Because this is Delta who only releases one seat at low miles - even for Diamond availability.

I can find 2 for odd itineraries bouncing from airport to airport.
You must have ...... luck then.

Booked MCO-SAN, MCO-SEA, MLB-DCA & MCO-STL for 2 pax in the past month at saver F or Y. Always on a Friday returning Sunday.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If it's a DM's miles, I don't see why it should matter.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 3:43 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
There may sometimes -- but not always -- be a workaround for DL Diamonds and Platinums: book the award itinerary for two persons (including the Platinum/Diamond customer) and after the tickets are issued then just redeposit the award ticket of the DL Diamond/Platinum customer on the itinerary.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 3:46 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

The better news is that DMs have been running circles around DL on this for as long as DM has been around and that Platinums too once again have a way to use "the loop hole" that has never been closed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.