Wiki Posts
Search

DL620 NRT MSP 17 May turned around

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2010, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum
DL620 NRT MSP 17 May turned around

DL620 started off with a little excitement this afternoon when 2 men continuously paced the aisles clutching their brief cases. The flight attendants approached them a number of times asking them to have a seat, which they didn't. A short time later, there was a call for a physician in the back as one of the men had thrown up and was a touch diaphoretic. Fortunately an ER doc showed up, and my services were not needed. Not long after that, there was another call for the front row of coach. About 20 minutes later, each of the men was brought to opposite sides of row 21 in flexicuffs or zip ties or whatever they are called. Both of them were obviously drugged.

The flight was quietly turned around and we were told about 15 minutes out of NRT that we have returned and would land shortly. Passengers were asked to stay seated as a large number of law enforcement personnel entered the aircraft and took charge of the scene. A short time later, we were released, and rebooked on DL 9909 tomorrow at 1400 to MSP.

If anyone knows anything else, please let us know!
Old May 17, 2010, 9:26 am

Programs: DL KM/DM/2MM (NH Plat emeritus, CO Plat emeritus, and no place like home)
konbanha, sounds like you guys had some fun...

Well, you got another day in Japan... go to tsikiji market, or a nice resturant (PM me for good recommendations for early breakfast). It is now about 1am in Tokyo, so I hope they got you some nice hotel. You can still jump to the onsen near the doome, it is open almost 24/7 (I think they close at 9;30am to 10:30am for cleaning) そのあとで、時差ぼけ簡単そう思います。

Enjoy it, even though it was a delay... shikattanai!

Oyasumi nasai!

DLroads ヂルロアヅス (はい、カタカナが面白いね)
Old May 17, 2010, 9:46 am

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
From Japanese language news sites.

Mainichi:
http://mainichi.jp/select/today/news...40110000c.html
They may have tried to stow away. They boarded at PVG and may have been hiding themselves somewhere in the plane.

Asahi:
http://www.asahi.com/national/update...005170325.html
The two men were in the washrooms for an hour and refused to get out.

Sankei:
http://sankei.jp.msn.com/affairs/dis...0007000-n1.htm
They are Chinese.
Old May 17, 2010, 10:18 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by O Sora

Mainichi:
They may have tried to stow away. They boarded at PVG and may have been hiding themselves somewhere in the plane.

Asahi:

Sankei:
They are Chinese.
I vote drug mules; they got freaked out that one of the packages of heroin popped.

Is Narcan in the in flight first-aid kits?

Batting a thousand in not having to give CPR on a TPAC/TATL flight! ^
Old May 17, 2010, 11:52 am

Programs: DL KM/DM/2MM (NH Plat emeritus, CO Plat emeritus, and no place like home)
omoshiroii desu ne (gomen, I do not have japanese keyboard on this machine...)

Sounds like they were having a real party over there... I sometimes wonder why would not you play 'better safe than sorry' and remove pax (even if you need to pay compensation) if something looks very 'odd' or worrying.

I recall 3 years ago, flying to BUD, where a pax waiting looked very sick, and actually the GA asked- are you sure that you are ready/capable to fly? and the person insisted. He asked again, and the person insisted... started boarding and fell down at the plane door (after the fact, turned out to be stroke). Luckly, this one was still at the gate. Why would not you have more 'weight' to the staff saying, 'better not take the risk, even if it cost us $2000 to leave the person behind and wait for the next flight'?

Would solve several cases of 'borderline' drunk pax, concerns, etc. And, it is much cheaper than diverting a 747-400 with 380 passengers+spare crew+fuel+hotels+compensation...

soshite... osora san, linku ga arigatou gozaimashita.
Old May 17, 2010, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by DLroads
Sounds like they were having a real party over there... I sometimes wonder why would not you play 'better safe than sorry' and remove pax (even if you need to pay compensation) if something looks very 'odd' or worrying.

I recall 3 years ago, flying to BUD, where a pax waiting looked very sick, and actually the GA asked- are you sure that you are ready/capable to fly? and the person insisted. He asked again, and the person insisted... started boarding and fell down at the plane door (after the fact, turned out to be stroke). Luckily, this one was still at the gate. Why would not you have more 'weight' to the staff saying, 'better not take the risk, even if it cost us $2000 to leave the person behind and wait for the next flight'?

Would solve several cases of 'borderline' drunk pax, concerns, etc. And, it is much cheaper than diverting a 747-400 with 380 passengers+spare crew+fuel+hotels+compensation...

soshite... osora san, linku ga arigatou gozaimashita.

During my stint as a GA I denied a few people boarding, I was a bit of a "better safe than sorry" hard .... The guy who totally wiped out as the end of the jetbridge (drunk) and almost fell through the metal cab sidewall comes to mind the most.
Old May 17, 2010, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pokeable
I vote drug mules; they got freaked out that one of the packages of heroin popped.

Is Narcan in the in flight first-aid kits?

Batting a thousand in not having to give CPR on a TPAC/TATL flight! ^
I was thinking something along the lines of Haldol/Benadryl/Ativan would be very nice to have on board. But you raise a good point: Narcan might be a good idea to save the lives of the drug mules. But that would take a lot of Narcan!
Old May 17, 2010, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by O Sora

Mainichi:

Asahi:

Sankei:
They are Chinese.
Originally Posted by skoker
During my stint as a GA I denied a few people boarding, I was a bit of a "better safe than sorry" hard .... The guy who totally wiped out as the end of the jetbridge (drunk) and almost fell through the metal cab sidewall comes to mind the most.
Thanks, O Sora. If these guys were stow aways, not even skoker could have prevented them from boarding. They were already there. At least they were frozen corpses falling out of the wheel well as happened on Continental in Narita a few months back.
Old May 17, 2010, 6:42 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by s1c3r1a1b3b3l1e1
Thanks, O Sora. If these guys were stow aways, not even skoker could have prevented them from boarding. They were already there. At least they were frozen corpses falling out of the wheel well as happened on Continental in Narita a few months back.
Wasn't that a DL 772 ex-JFK (and ex-somewhere else)?
Old May 17, 2010, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bennos
Wasn't that a DL 772 ex-JFK (and ex-somewhere else)?
No, it was a 747-400 (an old NW plane). I presume it was ex PVG given the news reports that the people were from Shanghai. But I do not know for sure where the plane arrived from.

It was impressive watching the former NW ladies take charge of that situation. They also had the relief pilots come down and check out the situation as well. All very professional.
Old May 17, 2010, 10:36 pm

No, it was a 747-400 (an old NW plane). I presume it was ex PVG given the news reports that the people were from Shanghai. But I do not know for sure where the plane arrived from.

It was impressive watching the former NW ladies take charge of that situation. They also had the relief pilots come down and check out the situation as well. All very professional.
As I recall (unless we're thinking of a different incident), the incident in February was on a JFK-NRT flight operated with a 777-200. The stowaway was identified as a Nigerian national. That aircraft had previously done runs to/from Nigeria.
Old May 17, 2010, 10:39 pm

This is the email I received...

"A Delta Airlines Boeing 747-400, registration N675NW performing flight DL-620 from Tokyo Narita (Japan) to Minneapolis, MN (USA) with 407 people on board, was enroute about one hour into the flight, when two male passengers were observed carrying a plastic bag containing some liquid into a lavatory raising concerns with the crew. The captain ordered the two passengers to be detained and decided to return to Tokyo for a safe landing. The passengers were taken into custody by Tokyo police."
Old May 17, 2010, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NWA IS
As I recall (unless we're thinking of a different incident), the incident in February was on a JFK-NRT flight operated with a 777-200. The stowaway was identified as a Nigerian national. That aircraft had previously done runs to/from Nigeria.
I stand corrected. It was DL out of JFK. I don't know why I remembered Continental.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/b...maFF2uoIlmNGNM
Old May 18, 2010, 12:49 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage

I am jut making a possible suggestion here could they have done a PVG-NRT-MSP routing????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.