Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

A new World Record even for DL SM. THIS is "best in class" alright!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A new World Record even for DL SM. THIS is "best in class" alright!

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2010, 11:05 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Originally Posted by longing4piedmont
Nope, they know who I am. And I stand by my statement that most would whither away in person....
I wonder who you could mean by that? It isn't me. After all, unlike some of the critics here, I've spoken my mind directly to more than one major airline CEO. Face to face... namely, Colin Marshall and Larry Kellner.

I know you wouldn't have reason to be aware of this, so if you meant me, then your error is forgivable.

As usual, speculating about the character of other FT members and what they would or would not do in the presence of Jeff seems needlessly personal. It would be fun to buy Jeff a beer and laugh at the utter outrage of the 635k SM demand, to ask him how and why it all went downhill, why he couldn't accomplish what he was involved in over at AA, with the EXP program, why DL as an entity is so utterly disconnected, why DL managers aren't compelled to redeem SM for their own travel and so on. It would be fascinating. Probably more interesting than asking UA's MP director how and why MP outperforms SM by such a gigantic margin.

Fly DL just about every week between 4 and 8 segments a week.
Bad luck, somebody has to.

I've posted the details of the awards so not playing that game with you. Do a search.........
When you ask for evidence of what others have posted here on FT with respect to redemptions, then you might do the same thing you recommend....
Old May 12, 2010, 11:28 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
What possible good can come from calling Jeff out in a hostile way, calling Delta liars, etc on a daily basis in this forum? I often wonder just how many of the FT members would be willing say to SMI or Jeff's face what is posted here daily. A key board is a wonderful shield to hide behind......
Well some of us have communicated with Jeff in a very civil manner, and when the result is that you get a long response directly from Jeff that concludes "However, all in all, I hope our customers see that our overall program is significantly better than that at UA...." because...blah, blah, and "we don't charge for drinks at our lounges" it doesn't leave a lot of options for expressing your frustration and disappointment.

I don't think anyone is trying to be hostile, but it's very frustrating to watch DL pursue policies which are terrible for their customers and incredibly detrimental to their long run franchise.
Old May 13, 2010, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by WBurcham
OR in J:

Base Fare
200,000 Miles required
Taxes/Fees
+ $ 46.30 Taxes/Fees
Redemption Fee
Price per passenger
= $ 46.30 Total
Total

Better, but sorry, even that is not acceptable. The same routing would have been 100K just 6 months ago on nwa.com. (Maybe maybe 150K if there was a holiday or something such as World Cup)

To the OP's intent: I can't believe you DL folk have put up with these crazy high awards and lack of avail all these years.
Old May 13, 2010, 2:29 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
The screenshot was posted as proof that it DL DID come up with that price in mileage. Maybe it was a one time fluke, maybe DL has since fixed it... but it should NEVER happen.

Originally Posted by DLNYC
I came up with 320,000, and that was using search by schedule. Logged in as GM here.
And 320k is ok?!?
Old May 13, 2010, 2:42 am

Any of these milage quotes from DL are an outrage. When my miles were NW WP miles, I had little problem getting high season TATL tickets, always more deeply into Europe than just a gateway, for 50K in economy.

To paraphase Churchill's famous comments to Lady Astor, we have already established that DL prostitutes its ff program, now we are only haggling over the price.
Old May 13, 2010, 4:59 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Better, but sorry, even that is not acceptable. The same routing would have been 100K just 6 months ago on nwa.com. (Maybe maybe 150K if there was a holiday or something such as World Cup)

To the OP's intent: I can't believe you DL folk have put up with these crazy high awards and lack of avail all these years.
I totally agree... When did 200K for J to Europe become acceptable??? And yet some are proud of this find...
Old May 13, 2010, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So did anyone find any C seats for 100K? No? Then I'm not buying.

It's funny that others berate OP for spending time posting this stuff, but the regular DL defenders are here in force, making multiple posts. Maybe it is these people who should just ignore these threads and get a life. How is his posting hurting them so much that they have to post here?

I'll never understand loyalists.
Old May 13, 2010, 6:24 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by redtailshark
[IMG]Redemption attempt, PHL-FCO, 7/6-7/16/10. Search default parameters, logged in as PM.

635,000 miles.

Jeff. You can't be serious.
OK, you found an award that priced out at 635,000 miles.

Was that the lowest price offered? I imagine it was not, and that you have taken the highest price offered and have come running here to FT to share your exciting news.

That's like trying to book a revenue ticket on certain dates and the lowest fare is $200 and the highest fare is $800 and complaining about the $800 fare. Outrage. Outrage! OUTRAGE! OUTRAGE!!!!

How about a screen shot that shows all of the options you were offered on those dates. I'd be fascinated to see one that shows 635K miles as the best pricing available. That would be worth printing out and mailing to Virginia Avenue.

David

Last edited by Canarsie; May 13, 2010 at 7:18 pm Reason: Removed quote containing now-deleted content.
Old May 13, 2010, 6:51 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
It took me today, a day later, about 15 seconds to reproduce the OP's experience.

I get a series of options ranging from 200k to 635k.

I assumed from the way it was presented that the OP in this case was giving an example of an absurdly high mileage requirement, not searching for the lowest mileage available. Still, there are many, many cases in my experience where even the lowest mileage tickets available on a route are absurdly high in my opinion (usually 1.5 to 3x greater than what I could get a year or two ago.)

This is the 200k route I see:

phl-jfk-fco delta 6086, 246
fco-jfk-phl delta 245, 6665
Old May 13, 2010, 6:56 am

Programs: DL, IB
Originally Posted by DiverDave
I'd be fascinated to see one that shows 635K miles as the best pricing available.
The screen shot he posted DOES show 635K as the lowest price available.
Old May 13, 2010, 7:07 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by a4or3s
The screen shot he posted DOES show 635K as the lowest price available.
NO. The screen shot he posted is the selection screen for the return flights. I want to see the selection screen for the originating flights. See post quoted below.

Originally Posted by GrizShel
It took me today, a day later, about 15 seconds to reproduce the OP's experience.

I get a series of options ranging from 200k to 635k.

I assumed from the way it was presented that the OP in this case was giving an example of an absurdly high mileage requirement, not searching for the lowest mileage available.
Well done, thank you! :-:

Originally Posted by GrizShel
Still, there are many, many cases in my experience where even the lowest mileage tickets available on a route are absurdly high in my opinion (usually 1.5 to 3x greater than what I could get a year or two ago.)
I agree completely. That's what we can focus on, and it's not a case of picking 635K over 200K. It's focusing on how it should be 100K most of the time and that 200K as the default level on most dates is not acceptable.

And just for grins, I went to Continental and on 7/06 returning 7/16 the best J price was 177.5K miles. (DiverDave steps back and waits for the torrent of outrage.)

David

Last edited by DiverDave; May 13, 2010 at 7:15 am
Old May 13, 2010, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by DiverDave
That's what we can focus on, and it's not a case of picking 635K over 200K. It's focusing on how it should be 100K most of the time and that 200K as the default level on most dates is not acceptable.
+1

The default 200K level is a rip-off because most other carriers offer low mileage awards on many dates.
Old May 13, 2010, 7:19 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
From CO.com....2 stops going over to CDG (PHL-MAN-BRU-CDG!) otherwise there is no availabilty! I'd rather pay a little extra to get only one stop!

Taxes/Fees
U.S. Security Service Fee $5.00
U.K. Passenger Service Charge $19.80
Belgium Embarkation Tax $20.50
MJ $0.90
Italy Council City Tax $5.80
Italy Security Bag Charge $2.60
Italy Security Charge $2.30
Italy Embarkation Tax $9.70
U.S. Customs User Fee $5.50
U.S. Immigration User Fee $7.00
U.S. APHIS User Fee $5.00

Certain taxes/fees list above are included in the originally quoted price.

1 Reward 177,500 Miles
Additional Taxes/Fees $84.10
Total Price 177,500 Miles and $84.10

Purchase this reservation without redeeming miles.

Flight Details:
Depart:
8:40 p.m.
Wed., Jul. 7, 2010
Philadelphia, PA (PHL) Arrive:
8:45 a.m. +1 Day
Thu., Jul. 8, 2010
Manchester, England (MAN) Flight Time:
7 hr 5 mn Flight: US734
Aircraft: Airbus A330-300
Fare Class: Business (I)
Meal: Dinner
No Special Meal Offered.

Change Planes. Connect time in Manchester, England (MAN) is 1 hour 50 minutes.
Depart:
10:35 a.m.
Thu., Jul. 8, 2010
Manchester, England (MAN) Arrive:
12:55 p.m.
Thu., Jul. 8, 2010
Brussels, Belgium (BRU) Flight Time:
1 hr 20 mn Flight: SN2174
Aircraft: Avro RJ85
Meal: Snack
No Special Meal Offered.
Change Planes. Connect time in Brussels, Belgium (BRU) is 50 minutes.
Depart:
1:45 p.m.
Thu., Jul. 8, 2010
Brussels, Belgium (BRU) Arrive:
3:55 p.m.
Thu., Jul. 8, 2010
Rome, Italy (FCO) Flight Time:
2 hr 10 mn

Travel Time:
13 hr 15 mn Flight: SN3181
Aircraft: Boeing 737-300
Meal: Snack
No Special Meal Offered.

US Airways flight 734 operated by US Airways.
Brussels Airlines flight 2174 operated by Brussels Airlines.
Brussels Airlines flight 3181 operated by Brussels Airlines.

Depart:
9:50 a.m.
Fri., Jul. 16, 2010
Rome, Italy (FCO) Arrive:
1:30 p.m.
Fri., Jul. 16, 2010
New York/Newark, NJ (EWR - Liberty) Flight Time:
9 hr 40 mn Flight: CO41
Aircraft: Boeing 767-400ER
Fare Class: BusinessFirst (ZN)
Meal: Lunch

Change Planes. Connect time in New York/Newark, NJ (EWR - Liberty) is 2 hours 40 minutes.
Depart:
4:10 p.m.
Fri., Jul. 16, 2010
New York/Newark, NJ (EWR - Liberty) Arrive:
5:23 p.m.
Fri., Jul. 16, 2010
Philadelphia, PA (PHL) Flight Time:
1 hr 13 mn

Travel Time:
13 hr 33 mn Flight: CO8803
Aircraft: Bombardier Q200
Fare Class: Economy (KN)
Meal:
Old May 13, 2010, 7:24 am

From UA.com

Passenger 1 210,000 miles 129.90 USD 210,000 miles + 129.90 USD

Ticket total: 210,000 miles + 129.90 USD
6:00 AM PHL - 7:11 AM ORD United 337
C210
View seats
connecting to
6:02 PM ORD - 9:25 AM CDG United 942
C210
View seats
Arrives next day
Flight details

11:20 AM CDG - 1:35 PM ORD United 943
C210
View seats
connecting to
4:00 PM ORD - 7:13 PM PHL United 7398
C210
View seats
Operated byUNITED EXPRESS/ GOJET AIRLINES
Old May 13, 2010, 7:28 am

From USAir.com:

350,000 mi

754 6:20 PM PHL 7:55 AM CDG (0) 7h 35m
755 11:40 AM CDG 2:04 PM PHL (0) 8h 24m

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.