Wiki Posts
Search

Impact if US Airways Buys UA?!?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2010, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA & AA Peeon, Hilton/Starwood Gold
Impact if US Airways Buys UA?!?

Just saw this come through...scares me frankly. It'll be a race to the bottom if this goes through...

http://dealbook.blogs.nytimes.com/20...-talks/?emc=na
Old Apr 7, 2010, 3:28 pm

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by CGNC
Just saw this come through...scares me frankly. It'll be a race to the bottom if this goes through...

http://dealbook.blogs.nytimes.com/20...-talks/?emc=na
It will also be a race to "the world's largest airline" and to be "best in-class" ^

Sad news likely to come out on Wednesday
Old Apr 7, 2010, 3:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Scary
Old Apr 7, 2010, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA/EP, PC/RA
Originally Posted by trineanT
It will also be a race to "the world's largest airline" and to be "best in-class" ^
you mean "worst-in-class"
Old Apr 7, 2010, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Sounds eerily familiar...
Old Apr 7, 2010, 3:46 pm
cfw

Programs: UA, DL, LH, Marriott, Amex
Very doubtful, given UA's courtship of CO. A UA-US-CO merger would never be approved, and UA has already committed to "dating" CO with the intention of tieing the knot.

Should UA and US merge, however, it would make *A basically a one-carrier airline, as CO and UA are making as many parts of their service identical as possible.

Also, I doubt I'd give my business to US again, so if this does go through, I guess I'll be staying with DL.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 3:49 pm

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Delta has shown the way. Consolidate and then cut capacity - the sum of the whole will not be equal to its parts.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 3:54 pm

United/US scare

all the merger it will do is remove seats and cut routes. be ready for higher prices
Old Apr 7, 2010, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by trineanT

Sad news likely to come out on Wednesday
Would UA+US be bigger than DL+NW?

If so, would that prompt DL management to look for another airline to buy in order to regain the "world's biggest title" and to realize more "synergies"?

Would that mean another poorly conceived and implemented integration during which we would be constantly reminded "everything will be better in just a few more months"?

Would DL have to change terminals in PHL again, resulting in another 12 month delay in returning a Sky Club?
Old Apr 7, 2010, 3:55 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Cue the "Keep United my United"

Originally Posted by GBadger
Sounds eerily familiar...
Old Apr 7, 2010, 4:08 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Hasn't Continental already seen this movie, where it's in a team with 2 other US partners which then merge?

Hello, OneWorld!

David
Old Apr 7, 2010, 4:16 pm

Programs: Delta GM/1.5MM ~ United Silver ~ Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Higher prices and more barbie jets in the long run for us.

For the industry as a whole, any consolidation has benefits.

Lets face it, with all the work CO & UA have done to "marry" their schedule, I think this is more of a scare tactic to get CO to buy UA as they've seen what's happened to them already with DL/NW merger and how they were the odd man out.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by mtensioners
all the merger it will do is remove seats and cut routes. be ready for higher prices
If you merged UA and US, there would be little direct overlap of seats to remove other than in the WAS market. They've already removed overlaps such as PIT-ORD with * codesharing. US has gutted LAS already. That leaves mainly PHL and PHX in proximity to IAD and LAX, but neither ripe for huge downsizing.

US would love to run UA. Mr Tilton at UA would love to retire and collect his massive merger bonus. That doesn't make it a done deal, fortunately.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Would UA+US be bigger than DL+NW?

If so, would that prompt DL management to look for another airline to buy in order to regain the "world's biggest title" and to realize more "synergies"?

Would that mean another poorly conceived and implemented integration during which we would be constantly reminded "everything will be better in just a few more months"?

Would DL have to change terminals in PHL again, resulting in another 12 month delay in returning a Sky Club?
According to WSJ, the merged airlines would be the second largest. I am not sure the US is the stalking horse, Parker obviously has grand intentions and UA and US a fit geographically but probably not culturally as Parker is really getting US to be more like America West.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 5:33 pm

Programs: DL, CO, LH, BA etc...
Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz
Parker is really getting US to be more like America West.
That's not the worst thing... I don't remember many pre-merger US Airways employees to be as friendly or as helpful as pre-merger America West staff

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.