Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Spirit Airlines to charge for carry-ons...Hope Delta doesn't make that move

Old Apr 6, 2010, 10:26 am
Original Poster

From the Atlanta Journal-Constitution (http://www.ajc.com/business/spirit-a...ge-439847.html)

MINNEAPOLIS — A small airline based in Florida is going to try charging as much as $30 for carry-on bags. Spirit Airlines says the charge will apply to bags in the overhead bin. Personal items that fit under the seat will still be free.

The new charge begins on Aug. 1. Spirit says the charge should reduce the number of carry-on bags, which will help empty the plane faster after flights. It also charges to check luggage.

Spirit is a discount airline that mostly flies out of Florida to Latin America. Even though it's a minor player, bigger airlines are likely to watch to see whether customers are willing to pay for carry-ons.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 10:42 am

My bet is that this is going to be both a logistical and a PR nightmare for Spririt and if it does actually get implemented, it won't last long. Whatever time savings they might see on deplaning are going to be more than offset during the boarding process (Passengers and boarding agents arguing over what will and won't fit under the seat.)
Old Apr 6, 2010, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Hope they fail miserably at that and the backlash hurts them... as mentioned its going to an even bigger nightmare than charging for checked bags. I don't think people are going to go for another bogus fee just to bring a personal bag or some clothes for a short trip.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 10:49 am

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
Spirit is out front with these sorts of charges...and given their target audience and longstanding fees for everything approach, they may get away with it. This isn't a traditional carrier.

Given some of the carry ons I've seen lately, perhaps a carry-on fee without a checked bag fee (and where they really NAIL you for a gate check) is the way to clear up some space in the cabin. I don't see that happening though as Bag fees are a huge cash cow
Old Apr 6, 2010, 10:53 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Down with Spirit Airlines.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 10:54 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Wow, this unbundling ala carte pricing model the airlines are going after is getting senseless.

Let's see what's been charged by airlines:
Pillows
"Select" seats
Priority Boarding
Checked luggage
Headsets
Movies
Meals

Anything else they can "unbundle"?
Old Apr 6, 2010, 10:54 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Honestly, I would be surprised if Delta did *not* start this fee. Look at the latest test:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...g-5-4-2-a.html
Old Apr 6, 2010, 11:12 am

Programs: Gold MileagePlus
Market Watch reports that DL and AA will be watching public reaction to Spirit's implementation as they would probably like to follow on domestic routes.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 11:26 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dusdidt
Market Watch reports that DL and AA will be watching public reaction to Spirit's implementation as they would probably like to follow on domestic routes.
Of course. And guess why checked bag fees went so high so fast? Monkey see, monkey do.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 11:32 am

Programs: AS 75K, DL Plat, AA, WN, Hertz, HHonors, Marriott
The really amazing part is that they're actually going to charge more for carry-on bags, as much as $40, compared with $25 for the first checked bag.

I guess this is what you should expect for a $9 fare.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 11:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by dogcanyon
My bet is that this is going to be both a logistical and a PR nightmare for Spririt and if it does actually get implemented, it won't last long. Whatever time savings they might see on deplaning are going to be more than offset during the boarding process (Passengers and boarding agents arguing over what will and won't fit under the seat.)
I don't know what planes Spirit flies or how they are configured inside, but my experience on DL (and other legacy carriers) has been that there's even more variance in 'fits under seat' than in 'fits in the overhead'. If there's an equipment box under the seat in front of you, you may have trouble fitting much of anything under the seat. The seat struts on some models are off-center so technically the space ahead of the aisle/window seats is 'split' (I think this is even true in 'F', IIRC).

Just allow these pax to stow their bags in the overheads anyway? Are the FA's going to check to see that all overhead bags have some kind of special tag?

And I wonder how Spirit (or DL or anyone else) will handle bulkhead seating?

Of course, I think it's going to happen anyway.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 12:05 pm

Programs: AS 75K, DL Plat, AA, WN, Hertz, HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by chollie

Just allow these pax to stow their bags in the overheads anyway? Are the FA's going to check to see that all overhead bags have some kind of special tag?

And I wonder how Spirit (or DL or anyone else) will handle bulkhead seating?

I'd imagine what they'll do is simply charge for all carry-ons over a certain size. Once on board you can probably stow your bag wherever. I suspect, given the pricing, that the true goal is to encourage passengers to check more bags.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 12:14 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie
I think you mean it's *not* going to happen anyway?
Old Apr 6, 2010, 12:19 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Doubt it. Like I said in AA's forum, DL is a legacy, full-service carrier. Checking for bags DO make sense because they need to pay baggage handlers, but carryons... nah. If they do implement carry-on fees then I guarantee you people will stop flying. Period. Full stop. Many are miserable with the checked bag fees as it is - but it's tolerable because at least they can carry on stuff, and the carry-on policies are quite reasonable. If carry-on fees are implemented, it's game over.

Also, in this economy... it won't fly. Food is shrinking, things are becoming cheaper and lousy quality, and the dollar is generally going down. Add all those fees and customers won't be happy.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Send an email to Delta stressing that you are against more baggage fees and you urge them to be a leader and not add it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.