Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What happens if I skip the first leg of an itinerary?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2010, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis First

I was scheduled to travel IND-ATL-DEN on a Thursday, ATL-DEN the following Monday, then DEN-IND on Tuesday. It appears like I won't be in IND the week before, so I am going to miss the first IND-ATL leg. The rest of the itinerary does not need to change.

What is the best (most cost efficient) strategy to deal with this? If I just skip/miss the IND-ATL flight is it possible to get on the second flight? Can I just cancel the first leg of the flight without repricing the whole itinerary? Do I need to call in, pay the change fee, and rebook the ticket without the first leg?

Thanks for your help!
Old Jan 27, 2010, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
If you skip any portion of you itinerary, all remaining legs will be cancelled. You have to pay a change fee and reprice accordingly.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 7:26 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
You need to rebook. If you miss the first leg, the rest of your itinerary will be canceled. Yes, there will be a change fee.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis First
Is there any more creative way that I can call day of travel to explain the situation? The only reason I ask is that the fare different is now like $400 + the $150 change fee.

If not, I'll probably be better off paying for a one-way fare and flying to IND then turning around.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 7:51 pm

Programs: Delta Charter KM, DM180, RW, DM, SC, SkyBonus; HH Diamond, IHG Plt Amb, Global Ent, TWIC
Two years ago, I gave a call and I was able to skip the first leg connecting to an international flight in B/E. The flight I skipped was notoriously late so that may have been a factor.

It never hurts to ask.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by jackplum
Two years ago, I gave a call and I was able to skip the first leg connecting to an international flight in B/E. The flight I skipped was notoriously late so that may have been a factor.

It never hurts to ask.
International B/E, possibly on a flexible fare?
Old Jan 28, 2010, 4:20 am

Programs: Delta Charter KM, DM180, RW, DM, SC, SkyBonus; HH Diamond, IHG Plt Amb, Global Ent, TWIC
Originally Posted by AndyTLe
International B/E, possibly on a flexible fare?
Nope. It was a low award for B/E. Yes, you can find them!

And there were three of us.

ROC JFK MAD JFK MAD - skipped the ROC JFK segment
Old Jan 28, 2010, 7:22 am

Programs: DL - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Hilton - Diamond, SPG- Plat, National- ES
You can call and ask... Chances are you will be told no.

If there are weather delays etc, they tend to be nicer but....

Generally it's too bad!
Old Jan 28, 2010, 9:47 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Depends on the fare rules.

99% expectation the end-result will be if you miss the first segment, the trip is cancelled by the computer.

What do the fare rules say?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.