Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Lower Tier Mileage Awards No Longer Seem to Exist...

Old Jan 16, 2010, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Any hints or secrets to finding lower tier awards? I have been on the phone for hours and there seem to no longer be any available, especially for SFO/JFK (which I suppose is now something fancy like Business Elite).
Do they just no longer exist and they are a fiction?

UPDATE: This was for first or business.

Last edited by thaitraveller; Jan 17, 2010 at 9:56 am
Old Jan 16, 2010, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

Update...

I just asked the nice agent to check when next available lower tier award seat from SFO was from tomorrow.... checked through the entire available booking ticket and there were zero (none, zippo, nada) seats at all.
What is up with that.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 8:32 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
welcome to delta
Old Jan 16, 2010, 8:42 pm

Programs: WN A-List; Hyatt Glob: CC/HH Gold, Hertz 5*
If you are talking Y class then the prices are around $230. If you are Gold/Plat/Reserve you can use miles at 1c/mile to purchase a ticket. That should come out similar and you'd have all LUT fares available. Not a very good use of miles though.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 10:43 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
About as easy to find as a unicorn.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Delta.com sucks, and DL isn't overly generous with its award availability, but there is low tier availability on the nonstops SFO-JFK. I plugged in two sets of random dates (Jan 23-Jan 30 and Feb 9-Feb 16) and found low Y availability on the nonstops and connecting flights and low F availability on connecting flights.

Tell us when, where, and in what class and maybe you'll get specific suggestions. It's not impossible.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by thaitraveller
I just asked the nice agent to check when next available lower tier award seat from SFO was from tomorrow.... checked through the entire available booking ticket and there were zero (none, zippo, nada) seats at all.
What is up with that.
Just tried on Delta.com using the Award Ticket Reservations search. I was not logged-in (in fact this computer has never visited DL.com). So there is no question as to Elite availability or any of that nonsense.

I was able to find PLENTY of flights SFO-JFK for the upcoming months. A few days here and there showing Medium. For example, JFK-SFO on President's Day/Valentine's Day/Lunar New Year weekend & 2 spring break weekends in March.

So it isn't impossible. If you posted your travel dates, others could possibly help.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 11:11 pm

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by robbert
If you are talking Y class then the prices are around $230. If you are Gold/Plat/Reserve you can use miles at 1c/mile to purchase a ticket. That should come out similar and you'd have all LUT fares available. Not a very good use of miles though.
Okay. Let's not confuse any newbies. If you hold the Gold/Plat/Reserve Delta-branded Amex you can use miles a 1c/mile.

"Gold" and "Plat" have a long history on the Delta forum of being words that are confusing if they aren't followed by "Medallion" or "Amex".
Old Jan 16, 2010, 11:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, LA, WN, SPG Plat, MR Gold
Originally Posted by AndyTLe
Just tried on Delta.com using the Award Ticket Reservations search. I was not logged-in (in fact this computer has never visited DL.com). So there is no question as to Elite availability or any of that nonsense.

I was able to find PLENTY of flights SFO-JFK for the upcoming months. A few days here and there showing Medium. For example, JFK-SFO on President's Day/Valentine's Day/Lunar New Year weekend & 2 spring break weekends in March.

So it isn't impossible. If you posted your travel dates, others could possibly help.
So my random searching (about 10 dates) has yielded no SFO-JFK nonstops in J yet. Most were single connects, and a few SFO-MSP-DTW-JFK. Sure, I can get the connections, but who wants to make two or three stop connections when flying to international markets from JFK?
Old Jan 16, 2010, 11:26 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I have a screen shot on my computer from four years ago when I manage to find a 25K Y award on the dates and times I wanted. And things weren't nearly as bad back then...
Old Jan 17, 2010, 7:21 am
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by CMK10
I have a screen shot on my computer from four years ago when I manage to find a 25K Y award on the dates and times I wanted. And things weren't nearly as bad back then...
Much as I have trouble PLANNING low level awards on DL, last week when I had to fly a family member on the death of her father, I got an award in Y for 25k cross country 6 hours later. I also made a mistake in booking and the DL (not NW) agent cancelled my flight and allowed me to rebook the award on an earlier ticket.

I too have snapshots of leisure awards from months ago, but DL does have some good points. Last minute travel is often 25k, but planning ahead it is very rare to get 25k. AA and UA had only standard awards at 50k. YMMV.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 7:37 am

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by ffI
Much as I have trouble PLANNING low level awards on DL, last week when I had to fly a family member on the death of her father, I got an award in Y for 25k cross country 6 hours later. I also made a mistake in booking and the DL (not NW) agent cancelled my flight and allowed me to rebook the award on an earlier ticket.

I too have snapshots of leisure awards from months ago, but DL does have some good points. Last minute travel is often 25k, but planning ahead it is very rare to get 25k. AA and UA had only standard awards at 50k. YMMV.
Have you ever connected the availability of last minute award tickets with the "fees" that they then charge for last minute award ticketing.... again raising income by "fees" raising it's head in the allocation of award tickets. On the other hand with the tightning of total seats there are fewer and fewer empty seats thus the airline(s) I would suspect have fewer seats to allocate than was previously the case. It's a real catch 22 for everyone now. Long term plans for travel are sadly just not as simple as they once were.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 7:56 am
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by cruise2006
Have you ever connected the availability of last minute award tickets with the "fees" that they then charge for last minute award ticketing.... again raising income by "fees" raising it's head in the allocation of award tickets. On the other hand with the tightning of total seats there are fewer and fewer empty seats thus the airline(s) I would suspect have fewer seats to allocate than was previously the case. It's a real catch 22 for everyone now. Long term plans for travel are sadly just not as simple as they once were.
For me the equation changed last year after I focused on 1 airline.
DL awards are free from charges, while US, AA, UA charge me fees.

But I agree with you, it is harder to plan ahead and cheaply on DL.
AA, UA still charge awards like regular tickets, far out, a few savers, close in standard only as availability changes.

UA AA types of charges
Far out paid tickets moderate, awards low
medium term paid tickets low, awards low or high
near term paid tickets high, awards high / low based on space.

DL charges differently
Far out paid tickets moderate, awards moderate
medium term paid tickets low, awards moderate to high
near term paid tickets high, awards low to medium.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 9:58 am
Original Poster

This was for first or business elite...

For coach, there may be availability. But, try to find seats for low level first/biz from SFO to JFK. They no longer seem to exist. Can anyone else find them? As noted elsewhere, for some long hauls, they also dont exist. It is more than Sydney and Joburg. They don't exist for many other routes.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 10:02 am
Original Poster

EXACTLY. IS J class the new O/R class for that route?

Originally Posted by DukieDrew
So my random searching (about 10 dates) has yielded no SFO-JFK nonstops in J yet. Most were single connects, and a few SFO-MSP-DTW-JFK. Sure, I can get the connections, but who wants to make two or three stop connections when flying to international markets from JFK?
An agent searched and did not find a single biz class seat nonstop from SFO to JFK in lower mileage tier. Not a single one on any date going out all the way to furthest date.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.