Delta is too generous with upgrades!

Old Dec 9, 2009, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Delta is too generous with upgrades!

So as a PM I was hoping to SDC to an earlier flight this Sunday SEA-JFK. I was hoping DL would save some of those F seats for battlefield upgrades. Unfortunately, Delta has already given every single seat away in F as of the 3-day GM upgrade window!

I do think DL should save one or two seats (just one really is enough) for day-of-departure upgrades, even if the computer thinks they won't be sold. This will enable high-level elites to SDC to those flights and still be upgraded.

OK, I'm sure someone will flame me for moaning and complaining about Delta. But I think this is a reasonable request that will enhance service for DL's best customers. Personally, I am not really bothered by it, and hey, life goes on!
Old Dec 9, 2009, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
I've experienced this in the past...Silvers have cleared at their window filling up the F cabin and I SDC to that flight in sit in coach. Really wish DL would be a bit more cautious about releasing these seats for those Golds/Plats that want to SDC.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by mersk862
I've experienced this in the past...Silvers have cleared at their window filling up the F cabin and I SDC to that flight in sit in coach. Really wish DL would be a bit more cautious about releasing these seats for those Golds/Plats that want to SDC.
+1
Old Dec 9, 2009, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by mersk862
But there are so many complaints about DL holding seats for day of upgrades. There has been so much whining about not getting upgrades at the window and DL being stingy about releasing upgrade inventory.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by AndyTLe
But there are so many complaints about DL holding seats for day of upgrades. There has been so much whining about not getting upgrades at the window and DL being stingy about releasing upgrade inventory.
I'd honestly rather have them hold most seats back for the gate - would be most beneficial for those who book last minute tickets (read: most likely high-priced tickets, so DL is making money) and for those high-level elites that are SDCing. I'd have no problem of Delta keeping a minimum of 4 seats back until the gate (unless those seats are sold).
Old Dec 9, 2009, 10:42 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
I say they should eliminate the upgrades for those who SDC, not the Silver, Gold and other Plats on that flight fault that you no longer like your flight.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 11:17 pm

So now we're complaining about upgrades clearing in advance. Would you like some cheese with that whine?

I'm probably in the minority, but I think when you SDC you should go to the end of the upgrade line regardless of status. Others planned in advance, you didn't. Why should you get special treatment?

How would you like it if you were #1 on the upgrade list for a flight with 1 first class seat left and at the last moment someone with the same status as you but on a higher fare class switches their flight and takes the seat from you? You'd be crying on FT how that's not fair. But as long as you can do that to other people its okay?

Last edited by Brick; Dec 9, 2009 at 11:27 pm
Old Dec 9, 2009, 11:29 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Originally Posted by Brick
So now we're complaining about upgrades clearing in advance. Would you like some cheese with that whine?

I'm probably in the minority, but I think when you SDC you should go to the end of the upgrade line regardless of status. Others planned in advance, you didn't. Why should you get special treatment?

How would you like it if you were #1 on the upgrade list for a flight with 1 first class seat left and at the last moment someone with the same status as you but on a higher fare class switches their flight and takes the seat from you? You'd be crying on FT how that's not fair. But as long as you can do that to other people its okay?
+1 ^
Old Dec 10, 2009, 12:23 am

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
^^^ steve, Brick, and Andy

OP and the ilk
Old Dec 10, 2009, 12:43 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
When I SDC, I forego certain things (or entitlements one may say). First is the ability to get an upgrade. I'm not taking my original flight, which I took a spot in the upgrade list away from someone else. I chose not to use it. Second is that I don't have an issue with being stuck in the middle seat if that's the only seat available. Bummed out and cramped, probably, but if it gets me where I intended to go at the time I prefer vs. the original, well no complaints from me.

I look at it this way, I'm already probably bumping some other lower elite or general member one down the list just trying to get a seat. I shouldn't expect to trump others just because I changed my mind.

That's independent of how Inventory Management deals with giving out the upgrades in advance. They do their own sort of voodoo calculations but my principles on SDC upgrades remain the same.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 3:53 am

Programs: DL GM/HH Diamond/Marriott Silver
OP, quit your whining. You booked a flight, got your upgrade (I am assuming) and then changed, negating your upgrade opportunity.

I have had many upgrades and then done a SDC which resulted in a coach class seat, sometimes in the middle seat in the back of the bus. Guess what, I don't care. It was my choice and the chance to go home sooner out-weighs my want / need to sit in a bigger seat for a few hours.

You sound like a spoiled brat.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 4:17 am

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Dia, Avis Pres Club
I have found DL to 'hold' up-grades for the day of departure. My tickets are usually purchased the day of, or day before departure, and I am 100% up-grades this year except 2 IOPS, and that is over 100 mainline segments.

One of the many reasons I left US was their change of policy to clear all possible UG the morning of the flight. This left a full fare Chairman Preffered in a middle seat in the back. Not cool. If DL did really change the policy, I am gone with my high yield fares.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 4:53 am

Programs: DL 2MM, AA ExPlat, UA S, HH S, MR LT Titanium, National Exec
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
I say they should eliminate the upgrades for those who SDC, not the Silver, Gold and other Plats on that flight fault that you no longer like your flight.
+1

Especially when I hear on this forum of those who play the game of I didn't get my upgrade so I SDC'd to another flight so that I could.

If you are on a high fare you are getting 150% MQM's anyway. I also know some business travellers I have worked with who wait to last minute on purpose to book and try and guarentee an upgrade from Y fare without regard to the cost to the client.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 4:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
How about instead allowing SDC to happen at a 1 day window for GM/PM/DM? So if you are flying LGA-ATL at 7:00am on a Friday then on the Thursday before you can switch to any of the 15 other flights that day if seats are open. This is a much more customer friendly option and makes it easier to SDC on later flights without worrying about missing your original flight because of the current 3 hour time limit.

It would also be a wash for FOs...some higher medallions would SDC on your flight, but others would SDF off of it...
Old Dec 10, 2009, 5:21 am

Programs: DL PM; US Silver;Mariott+SPG+Hyatt Gold; Hertz 5*; National Car Emerald; Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by izmatron
... the chance to go home sooner out-weighs my want / need to sit in a bigger seat for a few hours.
+1

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.