Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

KLM charged $309.16 to check an extra bag

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2009, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM (where is my Diamond Tiara?)

HEL/AMS/MSP/DFW on November 10.

I checked my two allowed bags and knew I would have to pay for the third; was expecting to pay something in the same range as a KLM MAN/AMS/DTW/DFW itinerary mid October, around $80 usd.

The agent told me fees had changed Nov 1 and refused to honor the contract of carriage in effect on the date ticketed. I didn't argue, just pointed out they were bound to the CoC. The agent suggested I dispute the charge later. (which of course I have)

I'm still in shock over this fee though, and if this is the correct fee that means I can't fly DL overseas which means I have no reason to fly DL at all. I'm a DL fan so this has me really not happy....
Old Nov 15, 2009, 11:29 am

Programs: legions, foreign and domestic
Was it over weight or something?
Old Nov 15, 2009, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Probably not overweight - KL's published scale says 200 euro per piece of excess baggage.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 11:44 am

Programs: LH SEN, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Flyin'Mom
I'm still in shock over this fee though, and if this is the correct fee that means I can't fly DL overseas which means I have no reason to fly DL at all. I'm a DL fan so this has me really not happy....
While I understand your shock, I'm not sure if other airlines charge less. And how do KLM's charges mean that you can't fly DL anymore. Where you connecting to a DL flight or did you book on delta.com?
Old Nov 15, 2009, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by inyourvillages
No, it was not overweight.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by icurhere2
Does anyone know how to find the date this fee schedule was put into effect? I was told by the agent November 1, but would like to have back up of this for the charge dispute.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by acjflyer
While I understand your shock, I'm not sure if other airlines charge less. And how do KLM's charges mean that you can't fly DL anymore. Where you connecting to a DL flight or did you book on delta.com?
Most of my European travel now seems to have me connecting in AMS using KLM metal which means I'll always have to pay 200 euros for the third bag coming home.

Previously I would always be on DL metal for both outbound and return flights and the fees are much more reasonable.

I realize this does not affect that many travelers, but I do trade shows so have to lug around a *lot* of crap with me!
Old Nov 15, 2009, 11:53 am

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8310/4.5.0.110 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

On what was the fee based? The 3rd piece or weight?
Old Nov 15, 2009, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Does anyone know how to find the date this fee schedule was put into effect? I was told by the agent November 1, but would like to have back up of this for the charge dispute.
Confirmed, in the Flying Blue forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/flyin...ca-merged.html
Old Nov 15, 2009, 11:54 am

Programs: FlyingBlue (Platinum); AA (Executive Plat); BAEC (Silver), SPG (Platinum); Hilton (Diamond)
Originally Posted by inyourvillages
No, I suspect it is because KLM's 3rd checked bag fee is 200 Euro.

First, as a Plat I am not thrilled that I do not get my 3rd piece when travelling KLM...that said, even the KLM policy is fairly generous. As a plat/skytem elite plus I still get two 70lb bags which is generous...

Second, non plats in KLM economy get two 50lb bags free. Compared to many US carriers, this is generous as AA, US, United, and CO all charge for the 2nd bag. While the fees for a 2nd and 3rd bag may be lower, once you figure that you'd be paying them in both directions, its likely a wash. (at least on the DL outbound you're only subject to DL's rules/fees) [edited: oops, I guess this is incorrect. KLM reduced the non-elite baggage to ONE for flights to N.America]

Third, there are still many routes you can stay on DL metal the whole round trip.

At the end of the day, I think DL/KLM is better than any of the other domestics. Even with the others you are going to encounter similar fees when returning on a codeshare operated by European carrier.

Last edited by ocdb8r; Nov 15, 2009 at 12:17 pm
Old Nov 15, 2009, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
It's especially appalling that they refused to honor the terms in effect when you purchased your ticket.

In addition to protesting the charges, you should file a complaint with DOT (link in my signature).
Old Nov 15, 2009, 12:14 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Originally Posted by ocdb8r
Second, non plats in KLM economy get two 50lb bags free. Compared to many US carriers, this is generous as AA, US, United, and CO all charge for the 2nd bag. While the fees for a 2nd and 3rd bag may be lower, once you figure that you'd be paying them in both directions, its likely a wash. (at least on the DL outbound you're only subject to DL's rules/fees)
This is not true, KLM changed its regulations and only ONE bag is free in economy.

Also, it is not clear what they are doing with skyteam elites. The phrasing on their www pages is similar to that of Air France, i.e., only Flying Blue elites get a 2nd bag free.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
That's nothing, JL once charged me $600 for one extra bag!
Old Nov 15, 2009, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cygnus
This is not true, KLM changed its regulations and only ONE bag is free in economy.
Yes, but the second bag is EUR50 (departing from Europe) or USD50 (departing from the US).
Old Nov 15, 2009, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Italy98
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8310/4.5.0.110 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

On what was the fee based? The 3rd piece or weight?
3rd piece

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Confirmed, in the Flying Blue forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/flyin...ca-merged.html
Thanks for this link!

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
It's especially appalling that they refused to honor the terms in effect when you purchased your ticket.

In addition to protesting the charges, you should file a complaint with DOT (link in my signature).
I really don't blame the agent, I don't think he was trained very well but he was trying...waving around some copies of Sky Team Elite policies so that he at least didn't give me any trouble over my 2nd bag. ^

Originally Posted by cygnus

Also, it is not clear what they are doing with skyteam elites. The phrasing on their www pages is similar to that of Air France, i.e., only Flying Blue elites get a 2nd bag free.
As a Sky Team Elite on a DL itinerary I was allowed to check 2 bags in economy; the agent had a written policy he referred to detailing this perk.

First, as a Plat I am not thrilled that I do not get my 3rd piece when travelling KLM...that said, even the KLM policy is fairly generous. As a plat/skytem elite plus I still get two 70lb bags which is generous...
As a Sky Team Elite you are allowed two 50 lb bags in economy.

Third, there are still many routes you can stay on DL metal the whole round trip.

At the end of the day, I think DL/KLM is better than any of the other domestics. Even with the others you are going to encounter similar fees when returning on a codeshare operated by European carrier.
Every route I've been on since August has had me connecting in AMS. I don't mind the connection and enjoy flying KLM....the flight attendants amaze me the way they can toss out those packages of cheese sandwiches and serve us all beverages even on a 1 hr flight!

I am spoiled with my Plat baggage allowance with DL so really hate the outrageous baggage fee imposed by KLM. From now on I'm forewarned and can make my purchase decision with that $$ factored in. Probably DL will still win most of time...I might have been feeling a little melodramatic while writing my first post.

Last edited by Canarsie; Nov 15, 2009 at 2:14 pm Reason: Consolidation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.